Yin Dee

N

NKVD

This is the "mom n pop" right next to the railway station on the traffic circle. Hard to miss. It's underneath the hotel. The whole place is very retro looking. The shop is run by a Chinese family and set-up as a European-style cafe with alot of chair facing the circle to watch life go by.

The place is very clean and the food is great. Typical Thai-Chinese fair. Prices are rock-bottom. My favorites are the kai moo (scrambled egg with pork) and pak fai (stir fry morning glory with lots of garlic). After this you can see the adjacent **** man selling the best roti in Thailand. If you are still hungry, you will also see one of the best bami vendors in Thailand.

Great place to take the family or just to relax alone with a good book and watch the train arrivals and see all the eye candy returning home from the big city life.

NVKD

Wife and I have been to Yin Dee many times and had great value and tasty meals. I believe the son (or daughter, can't quite remember) of Mom and Pop is a national TV news broadcaster.

Only had a problem once, last year, when I went alone for lunch and was ignored for 20 minutes, not even a menu offered, with groups of Thais coming in and being attended to immediately. Was pretty p...ed off at the time but, after thought, probably it was that the waitress was scared to approach a farang alone and not be able to communicate and the owner was too busy to notice.

So, decided not to let this setback spoil things regarding future meals. Sometimes you have to set aside your European attitudes.......most of the time actually !!

JohnB

I had a similiar experience but hell, when the fresh-made hot food came it was worth it. Even their rice is beyond compare, after all, you have to have steamed rice with the omelette. Damn!!!! Two more weeks.

I like the sound of that place, Thanks, will give it a try.

Yea, it's a great place. Off to the side to your left on the road you can find alot of Surin trash hanging around and cross the tracks and it gets worse, but don't let that ruin a great meal. Toilets are clean and have tissue also.

BW

Yes I agree it’s ok in there ,if you want to go to the what the Chinese regard as the best Chinese restaurant in town give this place a whirl .Opposite the Surin plaza (more or less) you will see a Jonny walker sign and what looks like a whisky and wine shop ,(you can take a bottle in with you that’s the deal there)to the right you will see a corridor ,go down there 20 meters or so and you will find a BIG open space restaurant with about 20 or more waitresses ,the place does not have much ambiance at all (like a canteen) but the menu is big and is in Thai Chinese and English the service is high speed and the food is TOP NOTCH ,also I had a sneak peek into the kitchen there are around 15 chefs cooking in there and its very clean stainless steel surfaces shinning spotlessly .This is without doubt the best Chinese Thai eatery in Surin .Around the same price as the train station and the train station restaurant is not cheap, I’ve been going there for years off and on they never used to have prices on the menu but now they have it was always 400 to 500 for me and the Mrs. to have say 3 or 4 small dishes nothing fancy 2 rice and a drink –not beer , This place is open around 11 till 2.30 and open again 5 till 10.30 ish its call Bettie restaurant –in Thai - Ranahan Bettie .

Is it oppostite the plaza in tha square?? Or the main road side?

Alan, thanks for this post. I went to find it this morning, just as you said find the Johnny Walker sign and go in. Also as you said, you would just go there to eat not to enjoy the decor!! Took a look at the menu and then decided to go there this evening for dinner.

Absolutely top class food. Quick service, reasonable price. Everything very fresh. We had a fried fish and some pork fried in garlic and pepper....both were superb....very light and crispy texture. We also had some stir-fried vegetables, some tom yam potec and a dish of prawns and noodles baked in a pot....rather to much for the three of us.

I went with my wife and a hairdresser friend (her hair not mine!). Neither had been before, both agreed it was the best around.

Great recommendation from them....and, Alan, from you. Thanks again.

JohnB

Im glad you had a great meal . Might take Danny my son there over the weekend ,they have a good wine and whisky choice on the way in tooooo.

Last edited:
Back