Reporting address when in Thailand

mahdam

Surin Founding Father
We will be arriving back in Thailand at the weekend, for a stay of 6 months, and I understand my wife has to report that I will be staying at her house. Is that correct? If so where does she go to do this? we actually live in Buriram. I will be entering on a multi NON "O" based on marriage.
Whilst in Thailand I will be taking at least three separate trips to neighbouring countries. Does she need to report my return to the house on every occasion?

We will be arriving back in Thailand at the weekend, for a stay of 6 months, and I understand my wife has to report that I will be staying at her house. Is that correct? If so where does she go to do this? we actually live in Buriram. I will be entering on a multi NON "O" based on marriage.
Whilst in Thailand I will be taking at least three separate trips to neighbouring countries. Does she need to report my return to the house on every occasion?

To the best of my knowledge the answer is yes, yes, yes, and yes and most probably at KCI.

According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national." If there is no immigration office in the province or locality of the respective house or hotel, the notification is made to the local police station. In Bangkok the notification is made to the Immigration Bureau. The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30.

The notification of residence of foreign nationals within 24 hours can be made in a number of ways to make the notification as convenient as possible.

With thanks to Thai Visa.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...sa%20topics%29

Thanks' for your replies Gentlemen. I think we will try to do it at Buriram police station in the first instance, and see how we get on, really don't fancy the hike down to KCI every few weeks.

Thanks' for your replies Gentlemen. I think we will try to do it at Buriram police station in the first instance, and see how we get on, really don't fancy the hike down to KCI every few weeks.

Best of luck. Let us know if you succeed as many moons ago Surin police wouldn't help and there excuse was " go to Immigration Police as they know about these things"

According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national." If there is no immigration office in the province or locality of the respective house or hotel, the notification is made to the local police station. In Bangkok the notification is made to the Immigration Bureau. The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30.

The notification of residence of foreign nationals within 24 hours can be made in a number of ways to make the notification as convenient as possible.

With thanks to Thai Visa.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...sa%20topics%29

I would have said the same until I saw this on Thai Visa:-

snowgard

• Members
  • bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
  • 360 posts
Posted 3 minutes ago

The TM30 is only for business not private (husband in house of Thai wife).

You can read the exact rule here: http://www.immigrati...?page=alienstay

If you come to Thailand and report your homeadress with your wife everything is done!!!

If they want to charge you, DON'T PAY!!! Tell they they can bring you to court because the rule is just for business and you reported your address already to the immigration when come to Thailand, also with 90 day reports, annual visa extension!!!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic...ang-husbands-whereabouts/page-3#entry10128250

I have read that MFA 'alien stay' page a dozen times; tonight was the first time I noticed it specifically refers to "Notification of residence of foreigners for businesses"

Hold that thought !

A later reply seemingly contradicts the above - still, you would think you could rely on a MFA website.....

Tywais

• Star Member
  • Admin
  • bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
  • 32,601 posts
Posted 6 minutes ago

snowgard, on 27 Nov 2015 - 22:11, said:

Why? They try to charge the wifes and they can ignore it and wait for a court rule. But this the Thai wives would win because the immigration have the address already and this rule is for business only!!! It not bring problem to a farang!!!

It is not for business only. Don't always rely upon a website wording as being accurate, read the actual law. Here is the article, Section 38 1979 Immigration Act and it does not state businesses only. As already said, bad advice.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien, receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed, must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours, dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area, the local police official for that area must be notified. In case the house, dwelling place, or hotel where the alien has stayed under provision of Para.1 is located within the Bangkok area, such notification must be reported to the competent official at the Immigration Division.

Immigration Act .pdf

"the competent official of the Immigration Office" - and how are we expected to be able to know that?

Last Sunday when we came back from Siem Reap we called in at KC Immigration Office to register for the first time.
Being Sunday we didn't really expect anyone to be there to register me.
Very pleasantly surprised to see a lady officer outside who who took us into the office and offered us a coffee while another officer completed the registration.
All very efficient and friendly.

Does anyone know if we have to repeat the process if:
1 - I go to another country and return to my home in Thailand.
2 - I go to stay at a hotel in Thailand and then return home.

Last Sunday when we came back from Siem Reap we called in at KC Immigration Office to register for the first time.
Being Sunday we didn't really expect anyone to be there to register me.
Very pleasantly surprised to see a lady officer outside who who took us into the office and offered us a coffee while another officer completed the registration.
All very efficient and friendly.

Does anyone know if we have to repeat the process if:
1 - I go to another country and return to my home in Thailand.
2 - I go to stay at a hotel in Thailand and then return home.

Technically, the answer is yes. Got Lost made reference to this some months ago and used his own travels to CM as an example.

The reality is that no one will actually bother to re-report. I think the view is that once the housemaster has reported your residence, that is the end of it.

I went on my own on Wednesday to get the extension stamp. Everything ok but they took me to the office down the side and said we are going to fine your wife 800bht because you stayed in ibis nana in January and she did not tell us you went back to your house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went on my own on Wednesday to get the extension stamp. Everything ok but they took me to the office down the side and said we are going to fine your wife 800bht because you stayed in ibis nana in January and she did not tell us you went back to your house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 800baht will be irrelevant if your wife did not know you were staying at Nana Ibis!:eek:

Have to be careful if one is checking into illicit lodgings. I wonder if one has to be registered at ST hotels!

Back