Cats and Dogs

Talking about being so dry . The rice is starting to wilt. So we are now pumping water from my dam. In the area I am the only one that can. All other locals emptied their dams to get the fish.
Idiots !!!
View attachment 29115

One neighbor is pumping what is left of the creek water for his. He is lucky this year because last year somebody drained the creek to get the fish.
Bye the way. You would think. These guys have been doing this stuff for ever and done this 1000 times. But no, they acted like a scene from keystone cops in achieving the desired outcome.
Left me shaking my head in dismay. They did not even think of applying irrigation to the rice before it died until I mentioned it.
Sometimes I sit there wondering about all this.

Is it worth irrigating, when they can just sit back and wait once again for the government handout for failed rice?

Yes since it is SWMBO rice. She does not get any subsidies.
I thought the subsidy for a bad crop was available to all LAND OWNERS. Those that rent out their land, get the subsidy...not the rice grower! But you have to register......somewhere (?pooyai baan, amphur..not sure) Last season it was 1,200baht/rai...season before 1,000baht/rai. (That was in Prakhonchai area) Payable into an account at BAAC.

But you have to register......somewhere (?pooyai baan, amphur..not sure)

They have zero to do with it. Have to register with your District Department of Agriculture. They come out and confirm what you have. When you get the pay out notice from them it then taken to the BAAC for the funds.

Not exactly true. Why you thank my SWMBO has taken about 10 rai and has said FORK rice I'm doing something different. BTW here project is on going.

Mrs @gotlost is certainly the exception to the rule. Mind you most partners of Farangs have had western education rubbed off on them, if they liked it or not. They are not so Thai anymore. My Mrs has been told that to her face, that she does not act like a Thai.

Mrs @gotlost is certainly the exception to the rule. Mind you most partners of Farangs have had western education rubbed off on them, if they liked it or not. They are not so Thai anymore. My Mrs has been told that to her face, that she does not act like a Thai.

For info your boss is eligible for any rice pay out If she can prove ownership of any kind on her land. The only time the local pooyiban is involved is to certify her ownership. She nows goes to her local office of the DAD and register with them at which point they will verify her holding. When the pay out come they will notify her then she takes the notice to the BAAC. The problem being is she has to be here to register and collect AND this is a yearly thing.

Last edited:
For info your boss is eligible for any rice pay out If shaken prove ownership of any kind on her land. The only time the local pooyiban is involved is to certify her ownership. She nows go to her local office of the DAD and register with them at which point they will verify her holding. When the pay out come they will notify her then she takes the notice to the BAAC. The problem being is she has to be here to register and collect AND this is a yearly thing.
It almost pains me to agree with GL at times, but this time he is absolutely correct...(except for the "shaken" thing, did you mean "she can"?)
The above procedure he states is correct in our village every year, and like he says you don't have to personally grow the rice, you can still collect if you are renting out the land for someone else to grow the rice.

Next time down me way you could stop in for a chat at the DAD which is directly across from the KC hospital. BUT I would suggest she put her fealers out for your local office.

Back