I.Q. Moderntrade.

Yorky

Fullritis Member
I hear I.Q. Moderntrade at Salat Dai traffic lights has closed down. Probably happened weeks ago but I've only just heard.

I'm surprised they didn't contact you directly. Have you spoken to a therapist about this ? :rolleyes:

(Do you recall Bandersnatch's earlier update with several followup replies in the Shoutbox ?)

I'm surprised they didn't contact you directly. Have you spoken to a therapist about this ? :rolleyes:

(Do you recall Bandersnatch's earlier update with several followup replies in the Shoutbox ?)

I conducted a SurinFarang search for I.Q. Moderntrade before I posted. Nothing significant was returned.

I conducted a SurinFarang search for I.Q. Moderntrade before I posted. Nothing significant was returned.

Would the search reveal conversations posted in the Shoutbox on the site ? :rolleyes:

(I'd guess not keeping well in mind I'm not an authority on this site's search ability.)

I think they were in trouble going back at least two years. Who ever was making the decisions for that family concern, did them no favours at all.
They were delving in dinosaur business practices. Well guess what? They went extinct.
eg They had a cash register computer system but they double entered everything into the one book by hand for all registers.
I can go on and on. They were once the one and only place to go to in Surin.
RIP and Som nam na.

They were once the one and only place to go to in Surin.

I know - I bought 50 - 60% of the materials for building my house from there. Not "there" exactly, further down the road toward Surin town.

Would the search reveal conversations posted in the Shoutbox on the site ? :rolleyes:

I have no idea. I think that I may have used the "shoutbox" twice in 10 years.

I think they were in trouble going back at least two years. Who ever was making the decisions for that family concern, did them no favours at all.

There's a rumour around which implies gambling debts may have contributed to the demise. Only a rumour mind.

I presume that the store at the crossroads is the only element of IQ's business to close its doors. In addition, they have the concrete business operating from several locations, several housing projects near completion, and their offices and warehouse close to Big C. I doubt that gambling debts are the reason for the store's closure as a general lack of good business practice: dirty conditions, diminished stocks and product ranges, poor customer service (slow collection facilities/lack of product knowledge/check-out issues and so on) has been going on for years. I bought a house from them which they were incapable of finishing leading to a reduced offer from us and eventual completion by our own workers. The original work done was shoddy - even by "normal" standards here. We'd expressed our interest in the part-built property at least 15 months before IQ admitted that they couldn't quote a date by which the house would be ready. We completed the work in 10 weeks, after ripping out windows, bathrooms, a kitchen, most of the tiled floors, repairing cracked walls and sealing leaks. Why couldn't IQ have done the same? Total lack of management, supervision, and initiative...Rumours of family rifts and indiscretions may have more to do with the closure. Despite all that, the owners are said to be extremely influential in Surin. Anyone curious about the wealth involved might look at the owners' residential property situated at the far end of the Kritsanai project, beyond the larger of the lakes.

Im not surprised ,years ago as with Yorky we also bought a lot of things there for our house at I.Q , now with all the other Big stores the place slid down the slopes .
I-Q IMO has been propped up with its concrete factory thats a massive operation ,also they build a large housing estate opposite Big C down that small road .
BUT the whispers are they might be building another BIG shopping Mall , like terminal 21 Khorat or the mall Khorat --- Maybe this could be the site .

Im not surprised ,years ago as with Yorky we also bought a lot of things there for our house at I.Q , now with all the other Big stores the place slid down the slopes .
I-Q IMO has been propped up with its concrete factory thats a massive operation ,also they build a large housing estate opposite Big C down that small road .
BUT the whispers are they might be building another BIG shopping Mall , like terminal 21 Khorat or the mall Khorat --- Maybe this could be the site .

The shopping Mall rumour has been going round for some time.

Not sure Surin can support 2big shopping malls, and if those wanting to build these behemoths do their homework, they will see that in the West, these malls are floundering with the massive increase in online shopping. Restaurants in Robinsons -both in Buriram and Surin - doing well, but not so sure about Robinsons itself.

If online shopping is the real downfall of Western towns and their shops including shopping malls, can the fairly limited Thai use of credit and debit cards (in Isaan anyway) bring about a similar demise here?

I suspect that restrictive and expensive parking, high commercial rents and rates for shops, and the novelty of out-of-town malls where the weather is of little consequence have been major factors in the closure of so many old-established Western businesses, driving plastic-wielding customers to armchair shopping where there are no parcels to carry.

Here, there could be an external influence that deliberately limits access to credit cards, and therefore helps to maintain the habit of personal shopping trips.

Here, there could be an external influence that deliberately limits access to credit cards, and therefore helps to maintain the habit of personal shopping trips.

When I see the state of some of the spuds sometimes on display in Tops, Big 'C', Makro and Tesco Lotus, I don't think that I'll be on-line shopping for food in my lifetime.

.... and if those wanting to build these behemoths do their homework.......

In the case of shophouses/apartments, there is no need for homework. Drive around Surin for half an hour and see all those that are still empty. Yet they are still building more!

If online shopping is the real downfall of Western towns and their shops including shopping malls, can the fairly limited Thai use of credit and debit cards (in Isaan anyway) bring about a similar demise here?

I suspect that restrictive and expensive parking, high commercial rents and rates for shops, and the novelty of out-of-town malls where the weather is of little consequence have been major factors in the closure of so many old-established Western businesses, driving plastic-wielding customers to armchair shopping where there are no parcels to carry.

That said, look around Surin and see both how many outlets and how many different companies are offering freight forwarding services. They are growing exponentially, presumably to handle the growing online sale of goods from the big shopping outlets. They are literally popping up all over town.

Many extended families spend much time in the malls-especially at weekends -not to shop, but to enjoy the air conditioning. Same goes for the supermarkets, with aisles blocked, not by goods, but large family groups with empty baskets. One reason I shop early morning.

And the reason that I write lists for my wife...........

My wife, and I am sure many others, come back from shopping trips with far more than is on ones list. My cupboards are full of stuff bought on a wifes impulse and never eaten!:mad: Cheaper to shop alone

Last edited:
Back