Raising Nile tilapia in your pond

Stargazer

Surin Legend
We just expanded a little water pond at one of our family rice fields to 35M x 25M x 4M deep. It will hold about 1,600,000 liters. We'd like to grow some tilapia in there for fun and sale, apart from our use for irrigating vegetables. I'm looking for a source of good ag information about the ins and outs of this. I gather commercial aquaculturists usually buy fingerlings, and do 6 month cycles, draining the ponds in between. This is not practical for us. We'd like to establish a balanced, self-sustaining pond. Does anyone on this forum raise tilapia? (We're near Rattanaburi)

Surin inland fisheries research and development center. They are located just north on the 214 from Global House at GPS 14.8557626406, 103.475564682 (surin inland fisheries research and development center) This place is huge. Your wife will need to show her ID to sign up. They will call her when her name comes up. The fish are free. If go just south of GH on the 214 and turn left this area has fish for sale for about 1 km. We had a 50x50x10 meter pond built last year. My boss also has 5 greenhouses by the pond..

Surin inland fisheries research and development center. They are located just north on the 214 from Global House at GPS 14.8557626406, 103.475564682 (surin inland fisheries research and development center) This place is huge. Your wife will need to show her ID to sign up. They will call her when her name comes up. The fish are free. If go just south of GH on the 214 and turn left this area has fish for sale for about 1 km. We had a 50x50x10 meter pond built last year. My boss also has 5 greenhouses by the pond..
Thanks, gotlost. Great tip! My wife is of the opinion that all the locals know everything there is to know about raising fish, as many do it, so why ask the government. I'm kind of a science guy, who grew up believing that the ag science people have ideas and knowledge worth hearing. I'll check it out.

Thanks, gotlost. Great tip! My wife is of the opinion that all the locals know everything there is to know about raising fish, as many do it, so why ask the government. I'm kind of a science guy, who grew up believing that the ag science people have ideas and knowledge worth hearing. I'll check it out.
Plus add in the 'free' fish as well to start out.

We just expanded a little water pond at one of our family rice fields to 35M x 25M x 4M deep. It will hold about 1,600,000 liters. We'd like to grow some tilapia in there for fun and sale, apart from our use for irrigating vegetables. I'm looking for a source of good ag information about the ins and outs of this. I gather commercial aquaculturists usually buy fingerlings, and do 6 month cycles, draining the ponds in between. This is not practical for us. We'd like to establish a balanced, self-sustaining pond. Does anyone on this forum raise tilapia? (We're near Rattanaburi)

Hi @Mel Malinowski - I did quite a bit of research on Aquaponics a system that couples aquaculture (raising fish) with hydroponics - basically feeding the fish soiled water to the plants that filter it and return it to the fish. By far the most recommended fish online was tilapia. However, I was told by the family that catfish and doctor fish was the easiest to grow in Thailand, so that is the way we went:

20200824_015204201_ios.jpg

dji_0005.jpg

144525314_3621411201289243_1142204436327937362_o.jpg

Back