2015 - New School Year

nomad97

Resident Geek
Rather than hijack the other thread about the Grace Hotel I thought I would start a debate about the new Thai School Year where it should belong - in the Teaching Section. I have it on very good authority that the Thai School Year will be changing next year. However, like Johnb has said, getting that confirmed and in writing is another thing. What does seem reasonably certain is that the 2014 - 2015 School Year will end in March 2015. What is not so clear is when schools will start back again. Will it be May or September? What are the implications of this change?

Firstly, as a parent with 2 young daughters, a wife working in her business, the first thing that strikes my mind is how an I going to stop them from getting bored? Its usually bad enough with the relatively short 2 month break but if I have to look after them for 6 months I think I may go mad. I think I will need to find a daily outlet to educate their minds in maths and English - something to keep them active and busy.

Secondly, what are the implications for the teachers? Will they continue to be paid or will they be put on gardening leave without pay for 6 months? I suspect that the full-time Thai teachers will receive their salary as usual. However, what will happen to the army of foreign teachers who are employed to teach English? I somehow think they will not be so lucky.

What are your thoughts on this potential change to the school year?

ASEAN are doing to Thailand what Europe are doing/have done to the UK.....Telling them what to do!

Too late now for both countries, but in my opinion what right have a collective of countries to dictate to a single member what they can and cannot do.

So far as 2015 is concerned, if the new school year does start in September, after a March close, I would imagine that each school would provide some sort of interim teaching just as many run summer school, which is a combination of basic learning coupled with field trips etc. I certainly hope so!

Rather than hijack the other thread about the Grace Hotel I thought I would start a debate about the new Thai School Year where it should belong - in the Teaching Section. I have it on very good authority that the Thai School Year will be changing next year. However, like Johnb has said, getting that confirmed and in writing is another thing. What does seem reasonably certain is that the 2014 - 2015 School Year will end in March 2015. What is not so clear is when schools will start back again. Will it be May or September? What are the implications of this change?

Firstly, as a parent with 2 young daughters, a wife working in her business, the first thing that strikes my mind is how an I going to stop them from getting bored? Its usually bad enough with the relatively short 2 month break but if I have to look after them for 6 months I think I may go mad. I think I will need to find a daily outlet to educate their minds in maths and English - something to keep them active and busy.

Secondly, what are the implications for the teachers? Will they continue to be paid or will they be put on gardening leave without pay for 6 months? I suspect that the full-time Thai teachers will receive their salary as usual. However, what will happen to the army of foreign teachers who are employed to teach English? I somehow think they will not be so lucky.

I just had a discussion with my supervisor about this very subject and absolutely nothing has been confirmed, denied, or discussed. I have a little one at home too. His school offers summer programs, so I would imagine if they did extend the time off until September keeping in line with ASEAN, the summer program would be extended too, with the exception of the holiday time students and teachers already get. If there is some baht to be made, then "programs" will be offered.

The implications for teachers goes something like this. Every farang is only good for 12 months, (unless you are some 6 month agency volunteer who is looking to add "worldly experience" to your CV) so the implications will depend on how expendable you are.

I am fortunate to have been employed in the same program with the same school for the past 7 years, but I have always been very aware that I could be let go at the end of my contract. There is a whole host of variables why a teacher would be let go and most of the time it has nothing to do with not being liked. Those teachers are usually out he door at the end of their first contract or before their probationary period is up. New directors, budgetary cuts, changes in the program are just a few, so being resilient is just one attribute a farang teacher has to have in order to teach here long term. You cannot survive being a worry wart, and most long term teachers i know both here and afar are keenly aware of this and realize that there are opportunities everywhere in case the SHTF.

I already work 12 months a year now, and since I am not a govt employee, I don't get the typical 2 months off a year. The time off that I do get with pay is tied in to my contract. EP runs all year including during the intersession, so I could see the intersession being extended if these changes are to take place. Specialty programs in govt school make bank and no school wants to jeopardize that.

It is also important to keep in mind that many secondary schools as well as primary's that have supervision are open ALL the time, with the exception of major holidays. Many families are two income families and schools act as a 'safe haven" (daycare if you will) while parents are working their 8:30-4:30 shifts.

There are many language centers too. "Smart, Fun, Best, We are #1" English centers around Surin., but i would wait before enrolling your kids in one of those and see what will possibly be offered at the school that are attending now assuming that these changes are already in the works for 2015.

Back my grades. Will update if i hear anything, but as the old saying goes 'No news is good news'.:smile:

I believe you covered it fully, Westie

As you said - no body knows for sure at this juncture what will happen. shrug1

(psst...just don't tell Nomad how to spelk skoool...uh-hem, spell school). Thank you, GL.:smile:

As you said - no body knows for sure at this juncture what will happen. shrug1

(psst...just don't tell Nomad how to spelk skoool...uh-hem, spell school). Thank you, GL.:smile:

If I could get in and edit 'scool' I would have done so. Alas and alack, no edit facility possible. Mods, please help least Monsieur Café gets added to the spelling police informant's list. Thanking you in advance.

No worries, Nomad...as I'm not on patrol for spelling. Facts are another story. :smile:

If I could get in and edit 'scool' I would have done so. Alas and alack, no edit facility possible. Mods, please help least Monsieur Café gets added to the spelling police informant's list. Thanking you in advance.

I read your OP, Nomad, but having been caught myself through being unable to edit a thread title, I refrained from posting 'Down with skool!'

I was just waiting to see how long it was before some idiot (Greek for 'private citizen'.... fact) commented.

On topic.... the universities were supposed to be changing the academic year first, but they didn't know what to do either.

I read your OP, Nomad, but having been caught myself through being unable to edit a thread title, I refrained from posting 'Down with skool!'

I was just waiting to see how long it was before some idiot (Greek for 'private citizen'.... fact) commented.

On topic.... the universities were supposed to be changing the academic year first, but they didn't know what to do either.

Thanks IB. The fact of the matter is that I use an early wireless keyboard and sometimes it has a mind of its own, even after I change the batteries. It usually drops the capital letter when I press the caps lock and I have to go back and try again. Similarly, it drops the odd letter when I am typing along. There are other quirks too, in part some of these are caused by my now rusty touch typing skills. Just by way of an explanation, nothing more and certainly not an excuse. Should always check before pressing the enter key.

Thanks IB. The fact of the matter is that I use an early wireless keyboard and sometimes it has a mind of its own, even after I change the batteries. It usually drops the capital letter when I press the caps lock and I have to go back and try again. Similarly, it drops the odd letter when I am typing along. There are other quirks too, in part some of these are caused by my now rusty touch typing skills. Just by way of an explanation, nothing more and certainly not an excuse. Should always check before pressing the enter key.

Just replaced my wireless keyboard with a wired one for the same reason.

I believe Surin Rhajaphat already made the change this year. A tennis friend who is a lecturer there said he was on holiday from March through to just about now. He said they were reporting for duty and having meetings during the long holz.

I believe Surin Rhajaphat already made the change this year. A tennis friend who is a lecturer there said he was on holiday from March through to just about now. He said they were reporting for duty and having meetings during the long holz.

Yes, one of the universities at least in Surin, I do not know which one, changed this year. A staff member of Top Tees left at the end of August to resume her studies after a break of several months. Sounds like they all have their own agenda and their own timescales.

My wife is doing a degree at Surin Rajabhat University & she was off about 3 months while they changed over, now instead of the Thai school October holiday she will be off in December which suits us as our baby is due in November.

I heard the same rumors about the schools but who knows, IMHO its daft to change as it means the kids will be at school in the summer time when it is hottest & unless you have them in EP programs with air con rooms I think it will be uncomfortable for them.

For those looking for activities for your kids there are loads of things to do,home schooling, private tuition Maths schools, English schools, Chinese schools etc etc there is swimming, taekwondo, tennis, music lessons, going on bike rides together, taking them to temples & teaching them about the Buddhist way of life & last but not least running wild at grandmas house in the village (they love it) My little one loves being active.

Wow! and no member was interested in hijacking another thread, nor was there any productive responses, but nothing new here. Too much time on ones hands (or hand)? Jesus H! Totally concerned about a bunch of BS Me thinks. Maybe a hobby forum should be included on this site? Sorry! read the recent posts. Not too quick on the keyboard, but still stand behind my other suggestion. Just saying.Crazy1

Last edited:

Yes they did. They all did. my friend has been teaching there for 10+ years. Renewing his Visa tomorrow. The rest of us are good until March 30th-April 30th of 2015 depending on when you signed your contract. The Unis have flipped. at least this is my understanding.

Ok found it .... i think its good for kids to have a break ,i hope they do !
More time for my sons golf lessons ;-] and fishing ,

IB,

Yep. I've also been having problems lately doing things here on SF (editing titles, completely deleting a post of my own, etc) that I USED to be able to do previously. Don't know why this is, but I have noticed the changes the past few months.

Mike

My wife is doing a degree at Surin Rajabhat University & she was off about 3 months while they changed over, now instead of the Thai school October holiday she will be off in December which suits us as our baby is due in November.

I heard the same rumors about the schools but who knows, IMHO its daft to change as it means the kids will be at school in the summer time when it is hottest & unless you have them in EP programs with air con rooms I think it will be uncomfortable for them.

For those looking for activities for your kids there are loads of things to do,home schooling, private tuition Maths schools, English schools, Chinese schools etc etc there is swimming, taekwondo, tennis, music lessons, going on bike rides together, taking them to temples & teaching them about the Buddhist way of life & last but not least running wild at grandmas house in the village (they love it) My little one loves being active.

With a new baby on the way this year, a wife at Uni, a businesses venture or two to manage and a 9 year old daughter to look after, it certainly sounds like you will have your hands very full next year. If the diet doesn't work that lot certainly will. Good luck!

No doubt I will find things for my daughters to do and I think music and swimming will be near the top of the list. I have a couple of violins (1/2 & 3/4 size) and a couple of saxophones (alto and tenor) too. In an earlier existence I played both types of instruments in orchestras and wind/swing bands. A couple of years back I started playing the violin again before I badly strained my left wrist. Time to buy a full size 'fiddle' and start again. It will be good fun to blast a few notes on the tenor sax too. Maybe after a few months practice every day I could have my own string 'trio' ready to perform.

Last edited:
Back