48 Hours in Savanakhet

georgefromcanada

You chose a custom title
As I came alone I took the mini bus to Ubon and then up to Mukdahan. Total cost 240 baht. Parking is available at the border for 200 baht a day if you prefer to drive .

3rd in line at the consulate at 7 am , doors open a 9. I was done by 9:15 and the line was long when I left.
I return at 1:30 to pick my passport and 1 yr multiple entry visa. 5000 baht.

Savanakhet is quieter than 4 years ago, with many of the bars and coffee shops shuttered. COVID travel restrictions did a number on the businesses that relied on tourists. My hotel had only myself and two Chinese staying in it. The rate per night had dropped from 500 baht to 360 but the internet was shyte and the cable tv didn't work.

There is a new night market that is very nice in the old town and Savanakhet has not lost any of it's charm or friendliness. IMG20230711200333.jpgIMG20230711201201.jpgIMG20230711201716.jpg

A tall bottle of the best beer brewed in Asia is roughly 30 baht

I went there just before Covid-19 landed early in 2000. At the time, they were developing the land along the Mekong into an area of restaurants and bars with nice views across the river. The night market was just as shown in your image, with lots of decent food and snack stalls on the perimeter, and seating/tables in the centre. A very busy pub was at the end opposite the church, and we picked up some very nice French wines at low prices in a shop at the edge of the square. It was a good trip, and a fuss-free way of obtaining a new visa for 5,000 THB (plus fuel and accommodation - but they were normal for any overnight trip in any case.)

IMG20230712114557.jpg
Directly across the street from the consulate is BK Savan a small business of 7 people who for 100 baht organize your paperwork and retype your visa application so it is legible. They pre approve your application for you, this is something Frank recommended to me years ago on my first trip to Savanakhet.

A young couple from the Philippines were getting visas for there children and didn't have the proper paperwork and were turned away yesterday. Today they were in line to pick up their passports and told me they used this service and magically their problems disappeared.

I take it that you returned at 1.30 the following day?

What did you have to take with you, to get a 1 year multi for 5000b? Do you have to do 90 day border hops with that?
Copy of blue book, her ID card, copy of her passport, copy and original marriage certificate, 2 passport photos and a copy of my passport.

Yes, every 90 days I must do a border bounce, but I can also do a border bounce with a day left on the 1 year visa and get another 90 days. Frank used to also do a 2 month extension based on family and get 17 months out of a 1 year visa.

Mondays the consulate does visa run companies and the consulate is swamped. Arrive Monday, hit the consulate Tuesday morning and pick up your passport 1:30 Wednesday.

Non immigrant O visa, multi entry and based on marriage, no financial requirements. I believe Saigon
also issues them but Savanakhet is only 220 baht by mini bus away from SSK.

Copy of blue book, her ID card, copy of her passport, copy and original marriage certificate, 2 passport photos and a copy of my passport.

Yes, every 90 days I must do a border bounce, but I can also do a border bounce with a day left on the 1 year visa and get another 90 days. Frank used to also do a 2 month extension based on family and get 17 months out of a 1 year visa.

Mondays the consulate does visa run companies and the consulate is swamped. Arrive Monday, hit the consulate Tuesday morning and pick up your passport 1:30 Wednesday.

Non immigrant O visa, multi entry and based on marriage, no financial requirements. I believe Saigon
I have done this two times. Kuala Lumpur and Washington DC. Both times I had my wife with me and both times they said come back tomorrow and you can get your passport. KEY WORD. LEGALLY MARRIED.

I'm thinking more about going down the retirement route (& so was the Uni today! 555)

Thanks for the info/suggestions.
The only time I went to Savanakhet, I took Frank's recommendation, as to where to stay. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!

Nope, only marriage. Are you serious that you are hitting that golden age we toil 45 years for ?
Yes. Managed to pretend to work for nearly 6 years over the Thai retirement age, but they have caught up with me now! :):):) .

It will be happening about 2 months before I get a 2nd (gov) pension that will then take me over the required income level for a 'retirement' visa, hence the question about Savanakhet.

Better have a brown envelope. When I went to KL for my 1 year Mutaple O based on marriage. Just after that news broke that everyone in the Thai Consult were fired for issuing 1 year retirement extension.

'The funds must be the equivalent of 800,000 Thai baht. They do not seem to be strict on funds seasoning, but might raise an eyebrow if your UK account balance suddenly goes from zero to 20,000 pounds just before the application.'

FROM TV.

Once your work visa ends you are under time pressures I would imagine.

My thought would be go to Chong Sa Ngam and get 30 days. They will let you do that only twice. With the first 30 days you can get a 30 day extension of stay, so basically you get 60 days for roughly 3500 baht , 1900 for extension and 1600 for your Cambodian visa that allowed you the first 30 days in Thailand. Get an agent and pay the 25,000 baht and you have punted the problem 14 months down the road. Extend the 1 yr visa for a month and now you 15 months for 2000 baht a month or 30,000 baht

My thought would be go to Chong Sa Ngam and get 30 days. They will let you do that only twice. With the first 30 days you can get a 30 day extension of stay, so basically you get 60 days for roughly 3500 baht , 1900 for extension and 1600 for your Cambodian visa that allowed you the first 30 days in Thailand. Get an agent and pay the 25,000 baht and you have punted the problem 14 months down the road. Extend the 1 yr visa for a month and now you 15 months for 2000 baht a month or 30,000 baht
My thoughts are very simular

'The funds must be the equivalent of 800,000 Thai baht. They do not seem to be strict on funds seasoning, but might raise an eyebrow if your UK account balance suddenly goes from zero to 20,000 pounds just before the application.'

FROM TV.

Adding £20,000 or any currency (ie: $30,000) above THB800,000 is never a problem 90 days prior to extension due date visit at Immigration.

The only raised eyebrows will be from the single ladies...along with a smile :) ... (only if you're not with a gf or another lady. :p )

Last edited:

Expensive! Do it the right way and the cost is 1,900 baht + 100 baht for the letter from the bank, valid for 12 months.

Back