48 Hours in Savanakhet

Expensive! Do it the right way and the cost is 1,900 baht + 100 baht for the letter from the bank, valid for 12 months.
Not possible because existing visa expires 30thSept and my 2nd pension doesn't start until after 22nd Dec. I guess they will want to see monthly income going-in before a (legal)retirement visa is issued.
I'm thinking about getting the first one through an agent, then do monthly transfers next year so that I have evidence for the following years extention (legally) issued.

Expensive! Do it the right way and the cost is 1,900 baht + 100 baht for the letter from the bank, valid for 12 months.

"It will be happening about 2 months before I get a 2nd (gov) pension that will then take me over the required income level for a 'retirement' visa"

Expensive is superior to unavailable.

I believe once your work permit ends so does your right to live in Thailand or at best you are given very limited time to make arrangements. From what I read you must leave the country and apply for a visa to return. You can do border bounce twice and get 4 months if you extend each visa.

My Canadian pension was to have kicked in June 2022, I am still waiting to see a dime but am assured it will be paid retroactive.

Without a plan B one can find themselves in a very deep hole not of their own making.

I have a 22 year old daughter that struggles with low wages and high rent in Canada. My wife has been given a home, a car, a university education and years of support when I worked in Canada and to be very honest and cold hearted I leave the vast majority of my limited funds in Canada. When something happens to me, my children will get their share with ease and the funds in my bank account in Thailand will be negligible. What is in the joint account is hers.

25,000 baht a year is a price I am happily willing to pay to keep the 400,000 out of Thailand.

According to Mrs "Big Tits" Dow a few years ago, you still need permission to stay in The Kingdom even after you are extinct.
That would then enable you to eat KWAI-TIAOW, (her pronunciation) which I had the pleasure of eating with her on one occasion when she was in Khorat!

"It will be happening about 2 months before I get a 2nd (gov) pension that will then take me over the required income level for a 'retirement' visa"

I believe once your work permit ends so does your right to live in Thailand or at best you are given very limited time to make arrangements. From what I read you must leave the country and apply for a visa to return. You can do border bounce twice and get 4 months if you extend each visa.

My Canadian pension was to have kicked in June 2022, I am still waiting to see a dime but am assured it will be paid retroactive.

Without a plan B one can find themselves in a very deep hole not of their own making.

I have a 22 year old daughter that struggles with low wages and high rent in Canada. My wife has been given a home, a car, a university education and years of support when I worked in Canada and to be very honest and cold hearted I leave the vast majority of my limited funds in Canada. When something happens to me, my children will get their share with ease and the funds in my bank account in Thailand will be negligible. What is in the joint account is hers.

25,000 baht a year is a price I am happily willing to pay to keep the 400,000 out of Thailand.

Interesting outlook.

I had an acquaintance who played that same game.
When he died here the local family stated there was no monies available to remove the body out of the hospital morgue...(whether true or not).

The embassy of the deceased was contacted and monies came from their family overseas to pay hospital invoice and a crematory.

Quick question: what do you plan to do if you are incapcitated or an emergency finds you hospitalized ?
Wouldn't a minimum THB 400,000 held in your name locally serve a good purpose ?

My wife has been given a home, a car, a university education and years of support when I worked in Canada and to be very honest and cold hearted I leave the vast majority of my limited funds in Canada.

Yes imho...best to keep the majority of funds invested elsewhere...and a valid Will expressing your wishes.

Not possible because existing visa expires 30thSept and my 2nd pension doesn't start until after 22nd Dec. I guess they will want to see monthly income going-in before a (legal)retirement visa is issued.
I'm thinking about getting the first one through an agent, then do monthly transfers next year so that I have evidence for the following years extention (legally) issued.
You went to the correct source because on Nazi Visa they are ALL AGENT'S. As I said have a BROWN ENVELOPE.

Interesting outlook.

I had an acquaintance who played that same game.
When he died here the local family stated there was no monies available to remove the body out of the hospital morgue...(whether true or not).

The embassy of the deceased was contacted and monies came from their family overseas to pay hospital invoice and a crematory.

Quick question: what do you plan to do if you are incapcitated or an emergency finds you hospitalized ?
Wouldn't a minimum THB 400,000 held in your name locally serve a good purpose ?
If I were incapacitated, I wouldn't be able to access the money due to my incapacity .
The money in my joint account would keep the doctors working a couple days at least. I'll be buggered if my money is spent providing the village with 5 nights of free food and whiskey. When I am dead a quick cremation and a nice corner of the garden next door is all I ask for. I have a joint account with my son, money from Canada is transferred and available within 15 minutes, to either my joint account or my account.

Natty is 30 some years my junior and makes a good income from her tutoring and her two bestselling books entitled
" English conversations for women who are not afraid of the foriegner."
These two books cover everything from first greetings, explaining Wise is a better way to transfer money than Western Union, inviting your new boyfriend to the village and how to explain Sin Sod and not frighten a perspective suitor off all in English, Thai and kareoke English. They are must haves for the many women of all ages in Thailand that seek a guava.

Of her 50,000 followers on two platforms 97% are female, 50% live in BKK, 20%
Chonburi and the remainder are Isaan ladies. Over 90% are aged 30 to 50 years old.
A fascinating demographic

Last edited:

Horses for courses. That said, I would use the method you describe for the first year of my marriage extension and, at the same time, start transferring in excess of 40,000 baht each month. At the end of 12 months, I would have met the requirement to transfer in excess of 40,000 baht per month, for every month of the year, and apply for an extension based on marriage at a cost 1,900 baht. Under the monthly transfer method there is no requirement to keep any minimum amount in your bank ccount. Indeed, a couple of years ago the letter from the bank manager supporting my application showed I had less than 300 baht in my account. Should you accrue too much money in your Thai account you could always transfer the excess funds back to Canada.

@georgefromcanada without wishing to delve into your financial affairs, do you not receive an occupational pension of sorts from Canada, which upon your demise would pay a widows pension. Most, though not all British expats have such an arrangement, with widows payments payable to wives and partners.............BUT NOBODY ELSE. Usually 50% of husbands pension, though sometimes reduced where the wife is considerably younger than her late husband.

@georgefromcanada without wishing to delve into your financial affairs, do you not receive an occupational pension of sorts from Canada, which upon your demise would pay a widows pension. Most, though not all British expats have such an arrangement, with widows payments payable to wives and partners.............BUT NOBODY ELSE. Usually 50% of husbands pension, though sometimes reduced where the wife is considerably younger than her late husband.
Yes, I qualified for old age pension 14 months ago and am waiting for a very incompetent government to approve it and pay the back payments. Natty will be taken care of. My parents in their late 80's have expressed their wish that any residual of their bequeaths to me be split 4 ways upon my death. My three children and my wife each getting 1/4. All three of my kids have student loans, 2 have mortgages and 1 is not fortunate enough to owe the $400,000 the average home in Canada costs. To be honest, I understand their view completely.
To be 33 years old and own a home and car, have an education and have absolutely no debt is a position that I doubt any forum member was blessed with.

Remembering back to when I was 33 (that would be '82).

We lived in a £10,000.00 house on which we held a £3,000.00 mortgage. Other than that we owed nowt to no-one; and I still don't. I had a company car and my wife had a very old car which we owned. Maybe I was blessed but I doubt it.

Yorky, the avg home in the UK sold for 4.4x the avg UK salary in 1982 vs 11x in 2023. The graph below shows the change in how affordable home ownership for under 35's.

You and I both know we were young in a golden age, it is not mild constipation we suffer with, it is the horseshoes up our asses.

Screenshot_2023-07-14-08-42-16-18.jpg

Yorky, the avg home in the UK sold for 4.4x the avg UK salary in 1982 vs 11x in 2023. The graph below shows the change in how affordable home ownership for under 35's.

You and I both know we were young in a golden age, it is not mild constipation we suffer with, it is the horseshoes up our asses.

The house we bought in '86 cost me £54,000.00 (without the horrible green carpet in the lounge nor any light bulbs). When I divorced in 2002 it was said to be worth £500,000.00 (and we still owed £30,000.00 on it) but that dropped to c. £350,000.00 10 years later. I haven't a clue what it may be worth now but it's wholly owned.

I paid cash for the last 2 houses that I owned in UK, including the last one that I lost in Divorce No.1. Think that was valued @ 1/4 million GPB at the divorce settlement. around 2003

While wages increased 81.7% in the past 20 years, Australian home values have grown 193.1% (figure 2). This has been further exacerbated by the recent upswing in national housing values, which has seen Australian dwelling values rise 22.0% in the past 13 months.Mar 7, 2565

The house we bought in '86 cost me £54,000.00 (without the horrible green carpet in the lounge nor any light bulbs). When I divorced in 2002 it was said to be worth £500,000.00 (and we still owed £30,000.00 on it) but that dropped to c. £350,000.00 10 years later. I haven't a clue what it may be worth now but it's wholly owned.
You could get an idea here.............https://www.zoopla.co.uk/house-prices/ and here https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices.html

Back