A/A Fantasy, Bar and Restaurant, - Surin, Soi Kola

DailyLunatic

First:
Has Fantasy changed ownership?
Dropped in yesterday and did not recognize any of the wait staff, or who I assume is the owner/manager greeting everyone.

Menu is the same, but I notice some of the signage is getting pretty rough.

I ordered the Nachos and where before the plate would be filled with chips, with a generous helping of meat and cheese topping, this time arrived instead with a simple ring of chips while still having a generous helping of the meat/cheese and nothing under it (thus no longer a 'topping'?). I defiantly ran short on the chips and ended up eating nothing but topping halfway through.

Second:
WHAT is that stuff they call 'hot sauce' that they are putting on top of the Nachos? As Fantasy seems to have a large UK clientele is that a UK thing? Tastes sweet and something like what I assume Chutney would be like. (though never having eaten Chutney, this is an assumption) Being a native Texan, I know that it is NOT a flavor profile I associate with Tex-Mex (i.e. where nachos originate)

Everything else about the nacho is close enough that it is a little taste of home. Just have to remember to bring my own jar and a bag of chips next time.

-sterling

First:
Has Fantasy changed ownership?
Dropped in yesterday and did not recognize any of the wait staff, or who I assume is the owner/manager greeting everyone.

Menu is the same, but I notice some of the signage is getting pretty rough.

I ordered the Nachos and where before the plate would be filled with chips, with a generous helping of meat and cheese topping, this time arrived instead with a simple ring of chips while still having a generous helping of the meat/cheese and nothing under it (thus no longer a 'topping'?). I defiantly ran short on the chips and ended up eating nothing but topping halfway through.

Second:
WHAT is that stuff they call 'hot sauce' that they are putting on top of the Nachos? As Fantasy seems to have a large UK clientele is that a UK thing? Tastes sweet and something like what I assume Chutney would be like. (though never having eaten Chutney, this is an assumption) Being a native Texan, I know that it is NOT a flavor profile I associate with Tex-Mex (i.e. where nachos originate)

Everything else about the nacho is close enough that it is a little taste of home. Just have to remember to bring my own jar and a bag of chips next time.

-sterling
Same owner, Anne. Arve is ill and no longer there, her husband from Norway. I was just there this past Wednesday and all the regular staff were present that I know. There are some family members who at times, when busy or short of their regular staff, step in and work.

BRANSTON PICKLE????
Never heard of Branston Pickle. Based on an internet search, what I was served was a lighter color, and more sliced, than chopped. That aside, it DOES taste like a mildly spiced sweet pickle relish of some sort. Maybe even fruit based.

No idea why they thought sweet pickle relish went with nachos. I thought at first it was just what those from the UK thought went on them. Or maybe Oz. Previous time I asked that the 'Chutney' be left off and she was confused and went to speak at a table that included the owner. Then came back and pronounced it not 'Chutney', it's 'Hot Sauce'. Okay, maybe a Thai version of a UK version of a the Tex-Mex version...

Don't get the idea that I'm picking this to death. There were several non-standard issues, but most did not detract from the flavor profile like this one did. Way beyond the pale.

-sterling

It is easy enough to make your own Mexican style salsa. There's a million recipes on Google, and many styles for all tastes. Jalapenos are fairly easy to find these days. There's a Thai woman on line selling fresh ones (seasonally) delivered to your address, an American on line in BKK has them pickled and jarred and also delivers on Lazada. You can make it chunky or puree it all in a blender or set it on chop for a chunkier version. Mainly it's just using a knife and a chopping board and mixing it all in a bowl with a touch of salt and a little dribble of oil (virgin olive oil is best). I've been using a jarred pre-made brand I've been getting for many years from a company in Bangkok to use for the restaurant that I like a lot. California American guy started his Mexican foods company and does it right. Mild. Medium, and Hot. His is spot on, and saves us from constantly making it ourselves. Easier to store.

https://www.food.com/recipe/salsa-mexicana-fresh-tomato-and-chiles-113519

Never heard of Branston Pickle. Based on an internet search, what I was served was a lighter color, and more sliced, than chopped. That aside, it DOES taste like a mildly spiced sweet pickle relish of some sort. Maybe even fruit based.

No idea why they thought sweet pickle relish went with nachos. I thought at first it was just what those from the UK thought went on them. Or maybe Oz. Previous time I asked that the 'Chutney' be left off and she was confused and went to speak at a table that included the owner. Then came back and pronounced it not 'Chutney', it's 'Hot Sauce'. Okay, maybe a Thai version of a UK version of a the Tex-Mex version...

Don't get the idea that I'm picking this to death. There were several non-standard issues, but most did not detract from the flavor profile like this one did. Way beyond the pale.

-sterling

Welcome to Surin, Sterling.

"Nothing to get hung up about", sang the Beatles, "Strawberry fields 4ever."

If you're happy in your home and with your family then all the rest is water off the duck's back.

Enjoy the good life while you're on earth. :)

I've been using a jarred pre-made brand I've been getting for many years from a company in Bangkok to use for the restaurant that I like a lot. California American guy started his Mexican foods company and does it right. Mild. Medium, and Hot. His is spot on, and saves us from constantly making it ourselves.

Good old Howie. :cool:

It is easy enough to make your own Mexican style salsa. There's a million recipes on Google, and many styles for all tastes. Jalapenos are fairly easy to find these days. There's a Thai woman on line selling fresh ones (seasonally) delivered to your address, an American on line in BKK has them pickled and jarred and also delivers on Lazada. You can make it chunky or puree it all in a blender or set it on chop for a chunkier version. Mainly it's just using a knife and a chopping board and mixing it all in a bowl with a touch of salt and a little dribble of oil (virgin olive oil is best). I've been using a jarred pre-made brand I've been getting for many years from a company in Bangkok to use for the restaurant that I like a lot. California American guy started his Mexican foods company and does it right. Mild. Medium, and Hot. His is spot on, and saves us from constantly making it ourselves. Easier to store.

https://www.food.com/recipe/salsa-mexicana-fresh-tomato-and-chiles-113519

Yeah, I have mine at the house, but keep forgetting to bring it with me.

That said, I have yet to find fresh Jalapenos, anywhere here in Surin. Online yeah, I order them from Villa. Most of the time I sub out a local variety and it's close enough.

Tomatoes though. I can't convince the Wife to grow decent tomatoes. Little teeny tiny cherries. You ever try to blanch a bushel of those things? Nope. Just Nope.

-sterling

Yeah, I have mine at the house, but keep forgetting to bring it with me.

That said, I have yet to find fresh Jalapenos, anywhere here in Surin. Online yeah, I order them from Villa. Most of the time I sub out a local variety and it's close enough.

Tomatoes though. I can't convince the Wife to grow decent tomatoes. Little teeny tiny cherries. You ever try to blanch a bushel of those things? Nope. Just Nope.

-sterling
Miss Jalapeno on Facebook. She sells fresh and pickled. She grows nice sized jalapenos. She's probably cheaper than Villa as well. Facebook link below the pics.

1710663560619.png
1710663465008.png

https://www.facebook.com/missjalapeno/

Last edited:
By the way, I've tried growing jalapenos here in Surin. One batch worked well, after that a white fungus got them, ants ate the roots, birds ate the flowers and the small bud jalapenos, and I said screw it. I offered the village family farmers to pay for the seeds to start growing jalapenos many years ago and they did not take me up on it.

Back