ADOBE HOMES.

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
12239527_917724674941745_9209413470969646606_n.jpg

125819327.jpg

12294634_917724874941725_9006303812029908798_n.jpg

How thick are the walls, and a thatch roof as shown may kep the rain out, but not the bugs and geckos and reptiles and rats and such.

How thick are the walls, and a thatch roof as shown may kep the rain out, but not the bugs and geckos and reptiles and rats and such.

Walls are about 4 inches thick and the owner has a tin roof on his unit. Estimate about 60,000 baht to build.

I'm seeing more of these about the organic farms that I visit. Heck the wife is now talking about a couple on our/HER farm.:D

The main benefit for building with adobe is it is efficient for keeping the building cool in the hot weather, and, if heated, (wood stove/fireplace insert, etc.) it is warmed easier and more efficiently. It is also less expensive to build with than when using other building materials such as wood,stone, brick, and is bug and rodent proof. I lived in New Mexico and saw some nice examples of this style. The thicker the walls the better.

I also lived for many a year in New Mexico and quite familiar with their design. It gets a hell of a lot colder there than hear.:eek: I would think the the adobe brick concept would be better but. I have seen adobe brick used up north of Chiang Mai. As I have said at least the Thais are trying some other thing that do not require support of the farangs. o_OI have seen more and more solar panels for and by Thais and there is no sick buffalo.:rolleyes:

The one here the farang built http://www.intelligentliving.co/building-earthen-dome-homes-6-weeks-diy/ is actually quite decent. Nice design and concepts used. 9000K USD is over a quarter million baht. Not cheap for many village Thais to consider. Actually most Thai homes in the villages are just thin block and concrete. They are not efficient for keeping the heat out (depending how many windows are put in, and how thick they build the walls). Would be better working with much wider cinder blocks like used in the west. They can't be that hard to make and that much more expensive made in Thailand really.

cinder_zpswgnv78s3.jpg

I knew a German guy (Wolfgang/Wolf) in Thailand making and selling inter-locking blocks, which he also was able to add color to while making them to add more choices for the block. He taught his wife's family how to make the block and set up a 'factory' on their land. We catered their wedding and the wife was friends with my wife and sis-in-law. Interestingly they met during the tsunami in Phuket. She saved his life on her motorcycle after seeing he would not make it up a hill, and she drove down to him and had him jump on and drove them away just before the water would have caught him up. She was a complete stranger, and saved his life. They married a couple years later. He was a smart guy and started the block business for the family. Had a demo house built with the block they lived in, and built a bigger house later with the block they were making. Saw some other uses for walls and such he showed me, plus he was doing curved block as well. The block was interlocking and came in different colors even. Sadly Wolf died of a heart attack a few years ago. I do hope her family kept the business going once he was gone.

lego-block1_zpsp8vjnglt.jpg

These have taken off big time. Sections of our new house are from these and nomads new patio extension is made of theses. Difference he paid 13 baht per brick and we only pay 7.:D

lego-block1_zpsp8vjnglt.jpg

You are getting 100 of these blocks for 700 baht? That's a good deal. We need to talk. :) I have to build a wall up the village when I get back.

You are getting 100 of these blocks for 700 baht? That's a good deal. We need to talk. :) I have to build a wall up the village when I get back.

U pick up 7 baht. Wife cousin business. Just reconfirmed with the boss, YES.

We over time have purchased around 12,000. He is in Kap Choeng and has his own factory. Local deliver is 8 baht but as said if you pu its 7 baht. I can get about 1000 in my Toyota 4x4. If any one is interested fill free to contact me.

Back