Advice please

B

billp

All these years I have held 800,000 baht to cover my Non-Immigration visa requirements - but this has been a heavy year what hospital fees , new car etc that I am thinking go releasing some of that 800,000 . Can anybody tell me what i need to provide in the way of paperwork if I have , say, 400,000 in the bank plus my monthly pension details .

All these years I have held 800,000 baht to cover my Non-Immigration visa requirements - but this has been a heavy year what hospital fees , new car etc that I am thinking go releasing some of that 800,000 . Can anybody tell me what i need to provide in the way of paperwork if I have , say, 400,000 in the bank plus my monthly pension details .

If your monthly pension makes up the difference for a total of 800K you will be OK. Your 400k in the bank requires NO seasoning but you will need an income affidavit from your embassy for your pension. I would suggest that you go directly and not by phone and talk to your immigration office just to make sure. In these uncertain times requirements can and do very from immigration office to immigration office.

Bill what is your immigration office? Is it Rayong?

Last edited:
While GL is of course right, not knowing you Bill are you married to your good lady? If this is the case you only need 400,000 and some other paper work and details.

While GL is of course right, not knowing you Bill are you married to your good lady? If this is the case you only need 400,000 and some other paper work and details.

For an extension because you are married to a Thai, 400k in bank is needed along with a number of other requirements. Bill, remember the (UK) embassy don't do anything on-the-spot and (I believe) you have to go back the following day to collect a Cert of Income letter. I'm unsure if they still do a postal service, if so that might be a good option for you??

A retirement extension is chosen by many married Farang because of the 'easier paperwork'.

There is a very good thread on Buriram Expats - although your mileage may vary with Rayong.

A pension of circa £15,000 should suffice and the British Embassy will charge around 2,350 Baht to certify.

Billp, there are two ways to extend your visa each year; the first is an extension based on retirement and the second based on marriage. Because you have maintained 88K in the bank each year I assume you have extended each year based on the former - a retirement extension. The latter only requires 400K in the bank account. With either method you may hold less in the bank but made up on a pro rata basis with an annual income.

To use the example you quoted, for an extension based on retirement, if you had 400K in the bank account you would need to show an additional income coming into Thailand each year amounting to 400K. Usually this would be your pensionable income.

Australians only need to go to their embassy in Bangkok and sign a Statutory Declaration (Stat Dec) in the presence of the appropriate consular official.

Finally, I understand that the Immigration Office would like to see one further piece of information, your bank statement for the year, to show your income coming into Thailand.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Bills Immigration office is Rayong and if so the marriage extension may become attractive because I have seen reports out of that office that they may require a 30 day under consideration with a home visit for retirement extension now which means two trips now to immigration. Same as Kap Choeng. This is why I stated he needs to go and ask directly.

For an extension because you are married to a Thai, 400k in bank is needed along with a number of other requirements. Bill, remember the (UK) embassy don't do anything on-the-spot and (I believe) you have to go back the following day to collect a Cert of Income letter. I'm unsure if they still do a postal service, if so that might be a good option for you??

Yes, the postal service is still an option with an additional cost of 100 Baht to cover return postage via EMS. Takes 7 working days. And you are also correct that it is not an over the counter service on the same day. Hand in the paperwork on day 1, collect on day 2.

(Apologies to Billp if I am confusing his nationality with that of AussieBill)

(Apologies to Billp if I am confusing his nationality with that of AussieBill)

No need to apologise , I get confused myself - I was born in England but hold Australian citizenship , however my pension comes from Britain. Incidentally , I served in both the Royal Navy and the Royal Australian Navy

Yes, Rayong - I am due there next month for my 90 days so can ask then . My pension is well in excess of 400,000 per annum

As I said in another post I have seen some reports where Rayong may be putting retirement extensions in for a 30 day under consideration period with a house visit this being the same as KCI has been doing for the past 2 months. This is the same requirement as for an extension for marriage. IF this is true then a marriage extension might look like a good idea as your only required to have 400k and the seasoning is only 60 days. Just a thought. Lets us know what you find out.Chokdee5

Thank you everybody for your replies - I go for my 90 days on the 16th Sept - I will ask then , they know me pretty well having been there so many times . It may be the 'Marriage ' route may be the way to go

With either method you may hold less in the bank but made up on a pro rata basis with an annual income.

Unless the goalposts have changed the above only applies for a retirement visa ext. With a marriage ext it is either monthly income or Money in bank, NOT a combination of the two methods. That was the case when I was last married 3 to 4 years ago!!!! LOL!

If one changes from a retirement extension to a visa based on marriage, is the latter just a visa extension or does one have to start the visa process from a new beginning?

If one changes from a retirement extension to a visa based on marriage, is the latter just a visa extension or does one have to start the visa process from a new beginning?

Just make it as a new extension but baed on marriage. You do need your original KR3 marriage certificate and a KR 2 from the amphur.

Unless the goalposts have changed the above only applies for a retirement visa ext. With a marriage ext it is either monthly income or Money in bank, NOT a combination of the two methods. That was the case when I was last married 3 to 4 years ago!!!! LOL!

Total correct. There has never been a combination for marriage only retirement.

A retirement extension is chosen by many married Farang because of the 'easier paperwork'.

There is a very good thread on Buriram Expats - although your mileage may vary with Rayong.

A pension of circa £15,000 should suffice and the British Embassy will charge around 2,350 Baht to certify.

Which KC dont accept, 2,650 baht including postal services....witnessed on 2 occasions , even when one individual asked them in person what was reg,d...

Back