Air coolers

Yorky

Fullritis Member
My wife finally persuaded me to buy an air cooler yesterday. I was somewhat sceptical about it but it appears to work at least to her satisfaction. The one I bought works on the principal of blowing air over a water reservoir a little like the DIY coolbox aircon design. My wife has decided that the reservoir requires replenishing with bottles of cold tap water from the fridge supplemented by frozen gel bags. With a power consumption of only 100 watts it will be far cheaper than aircon in electricity useage and it will keep her off my back (at least until it goes wrong).

Time will no doubt tell.

Clarte AC.jpg

It will work well right up to the point where the relative humidity rises above 50%. Then all you will have is a fan. As the water will not evaporate anymore.
They work great in desert like savannas but not in tropical humid conditions. You will see !

The thing is, other than authorising the spending of the money, I had no further input into the purchase therefore if it does fail to work efficiently, I cannot be at fault.

And if you believe that, you'll believe anything!!

:cool:

The thing is, other than authorising the spending of the money, I had no further input into the purchase...

You mean she returned to her ATM to get the money...whether it's for 40 , 400 or 4,000. :rolleyes:

Top of the head - how many watts does a 18,000 btu A/C use?

[Edit: Let's say reducing the temperature from 28 degC to 22 degC]

Last edited:
Top of the head - how many watts does a 18,000 btu A/C use?

[Edit: Let's say reducing the temperature from 28 degC to 22 degC]

It would be more relevant to ask about reducing from 40degC to 24degC and keeping it there.... at the current time.

I've lost more than that running for a bus!

Drinking Archa rather than Leo saves me that in about 3 months.

The inverter aircons run cheap, the only problem is houseinsulation ... as I have a wooden upperstructure and an open house it would be a total waste of money but if one could build a house with cavity walls, pvc windows with double glazing, double ceilings and good insulated roof I can see the benefit of aircon. Even if one would need it then ?!?!?

The thing is, other than authorising the spending of the money, I had no further input into the purchase therefore if it does fail to work efficiently, I cannot be at fault.

And if you believe that, you'll believe anything!!

I was about to say, "It will be entirely your fault!"

In the hot season we run a air con in the bedroom it's bigger than we needed ,we can open the bedroom door and it cools the living room to that was the idea , I don't even notice the electric bill diffrence in the hot season .
I guess 1000 B a month .it's always better to install a larger air con than you need it uses less electric , we have ours set on 27 and more than cool enough .also avoid LG they are cheap and noisy , Mitsubishi Trane Dieken , Panasonic are all good we use Samsung it's almost silent ,very happy with it .

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back