Another brick in the wall

We pay 220 Baht to each of our 'gardening team'. I wanted to increase it to 250 Baht but was told (via the missus) by Auntie in the village that I should do no such thing as it would fcuk up the rates for others.

Living miles from any workplace, your villagers are likely grateful for any employment that brings in a bit of cash. Those in towns and cities can be choosy, and demand far more than the paltry 220baht you and your missus pay.

Why more than 300 baht Steve ?

Surin is not on par with Bangkok surely ?

Union (SWMBO) rules! I am only allowed to employ 'cousins' from the village and that is some 35 km distant from the town. Therefore, I have to give them an allowance for diesel/benzine of 300 Baht for the round trip before they even start work. Then, because they are cousins they get fed and watered at lunchtime and, when they finish the job, a couple of beers to wash the grime away. It quite easy to see that 2 men from the village for one 'easy' day will usually set me back at least a 1000 Baht.

Access to the garden. I did a straw poll with the family this morning, with the girls on the way to school and with my wife on my return, about whether or not they would like direct access to the garden from the veranda. Independly, and without prior consultation, they all said no. I think I know why and I suspect that is also the reason for designing the wall without direct access to the garden. The girls like to hunker down on the floor and enjoy a Korean BBQ from time to time. With the wall they will enjoy a lot of privacy that would otherwise not be there. Living in the country I don't suppose you have that problem of a lack of privacy but living in town you can sometimes feel like goldfish in a bowl, if you understand what I mean.

Last edited:
Access to the garden. I did a straw poll with the family this morning, with the girls on the way to school and with my wife on my return, about whether or not they would like direct access to the garden from the veranda. Independly, and without prior consultation, they all said no. I think I know why and I suspect that is also the reason for designing the wall without direct access to the garden. The girls like to hunker down on the floor and enjoy a Koreran BBQ from time to time. With the wall they will enjoy a lot of privacy that would otherwise not be there. Living in the country I don't suppose you have that problem of a lack of privacy but living in town you can sometimes feel like goldfish in a bowl, if you understand what I mean.

Valid point Nomad.

Living miles from any workplace, your villagers are likely grateful for any employment that brings in a bit of cash. Those in towns and cities can be choosy, and demand far more than the paltry 220baht you and your missus pay.

'Paltry' to a rich man like you but paid under 'village rules' and gratefully received.

Back