Another Visa/Extension Amnesty?

Merlin

You chose a custom title
An article in the Bangkok Herald that says a proposal for a 30 day extension on the amnesty (until Oct 31st) is pending approval from Prayuth.

BUT

At this time (meaning right now) it has not been approved and that means 'officially' amnesty ran out Saturday the 26th at 11:59PM.

Because of the amnesty ending on a weekend day, Immigration offices around the country have stated that IF you go for an extension on Monday from amnesty you will not be charged for overstay.

https://bangkokherald.com/thailand/...uket-hint-at-possible-visa-amnesty-extension/

An article in the Bangkok Herald that says a proposal for a 30 day extension on the amnesty (until Oct 31st) is pending approval from Prayuth.

BUT

At this time (meaning right now) it has not been approved and that means 'officially' amnesty ran out Saturday the 26th at 11:59PM.

Because of the amnesty ending on a weekend day, Immigration offices around the country have stated that IF you go for an extension on Monday from amnesty you will not be charged for overstay.

https://bangkokherald.com/thailand/...uket-hint-at-possible-visa-amnesty-extension/
Did you get your 12-month extension?

It seems to me that everything the government comes up with these days is entirely farcical

They are trying to entice up to 1,000 tourists to come to Thailand every month (or is it every week?) They must arrive on expensive chartered planes with no certainty of return options. They have to quarantine for 14 days, but afterwards they can stay for the rest of their initial 90 day visa (I believe they have to stay a minimum of 90 days). After that they can supposedly extend their stay for 2 further periods of 90 days. Presumably they will be required to have $100,000 insurance, which does not come cheap for anyone, but the elder well heeled tourists will be paying big money - on top of their 14 day quarantine charges.

On the other hand there are allegedly some 150,000 "tourists" here now, who Thailand want out. These people have been here for some 6+ months and most clearly have funds available to enable them to stay and spend in the local Thai communities. Yet they have to go! No 90 day visas for them!

At the end of the day there will likely be no tourists here. Who in their right mind is going to commit to a 90 day stay, with an initial quarantine at their own expense, + insurance, in a country bereft of tourists and minimal open tourist attractions, unopened bars, and a population who would rather they were not here .

It seems to me that everything the government comes up with these days is entirely farcical

They are trying to entice up to 1,000 tourists to come to Thailand every month (or is it every week?) They must arrive on expensive chartered planes with no certainty of return options. They have to quarantine for 14 days, but afterwards they can stay for the rest of their initial 90 day visa (I believe they have to stay a minimum of 90 days). After that they can supposedly extend their stay for 2 further periods of 90 days. Presumably they will be required to have $100,000 insurance, which does not come cheap for anyone, but the elder well heeled tourists will be paying big money - on top of their 14 day quarantine charges.

On the other hand there are allegedly some 150,000 "tourists" here now, who Thailand want out. These people have been here for some 6+ months and most clearly have funds available to enable them to stay and spend in the local Thai communities. Yet they have to go! No 90 day visas for them!

At the end of the day there will likely be no tourists here. Who in their right mind is going to commit to a 90 day stay, with an initial quarantine at their own expense, + insurance, in a country bereft of tourists and minimal open tourist attractions, unopened bars, and a population who would rather they were not here .

Pretty good analysis, spot on I would say.

Pretty good analysis, spot on I would say.
So would I.
I know at least 2 guys (who whilst not legally married here), have homes/'wives' & children and cannot get back into Thailand. Yes, I know there is also the restrictions imposed by the countries that they are currently 'twiddling their thumbs' in!!!
Strange times, indeed!

@Prakhonchai Nick you have been here a long time but even the most seasoned can be blind to what the government is doing. It is any hair brained scheme to make it LOOK like they know what they are doing and further more it is a "See look ,we are doing something" Just like the boats in the Chaoprayah pushing flood waters faster out to sea. Fire engines blasting water into the sky to reduce PM 2.5.
This is just further in the crazy play book which is Thailand.
Besides spending shite loads of money, WELL it makes people feel good. All the tax payers money spent on fancy German hotels does not, so it might as well be spent on hair brain schemes.

@Prakhonchai Nick you have been here a long time but even the most seasoned can be blind to what the government is doing. It is any hair brained scheme to make it LOOK like they know what they are doing and further more it is a "See look ,we are doing something" Just like the boats in the Chaoprayah pushing flood waters faster out to sea. Fire engines blasting water into the sky to reduce PM 2.5.
This is just further in the crazy play book which is Thailand.
Besides spending shite loads of money, WELL it makes people feel good. All the tax payers money spent on fancy German hotels does not, so it might as well be spent on hair brain schemes.

“You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.”

― Abraham Lincoln

Well, I was wrong about that.

I made the classic mistake of believing the hard-line Immigration officials who said that the amnesty would DEFINITELY not be extended.

They might as well just say..."Bollocks to visas; you can stay here is as long as you like, just extend every 90 days for a 10,000 Baht fee each time".

Well, I was wrong about that.

I made the classic mistake of believing the hard-line Immigration officials who said that the amnesty would DEFINITELY not be extended.

They might as well just say..."Bollocks to visas; you can stay here is as long as you like, just extend every 90 days for a 10,000 Baht fee each time".
Please don't go giving them ideas. I would much rather stay here for 1,900 baht a year. :D:D:D

Please don't go giving them ideas. I would much rather stay here for 1,900 baht a year. :D:D:D

1900 Baht plus
GraciousCreativeGentoopenguin-small.gif

Asked immigration to sign my life certificate. We not sign. End of conversation. Went to a solicitor 5000 baht. Fuk off.

Asked immigration to sign my life certificate. We not sign. End of conversation. Went to a solicitor 5000 baht. Fuk off.

I asked Immigration to sign a copy of my passport to confirm that the picture was me. No chance!

Many members on here are qualified to sign your certificate (including me) and it will cost you nowt!

Back