Any new or improved places to eat in or around Surin?

alanthebuilder

Administrator
Any new or improved places to eat in or around Surin?

Thai food ?

Whats happening with the new german place?

Not exactly new but the place on the corner 1/2 way between Thong Tarin and Starbeams is very good. They do thai steaks of all types and I have not had a bad meal there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats happening with the new german place?

Not exactly new but the place on the corner 1/2 way between Thong Tarin and Starbeams is very good. They do thai steaks of all types and I have not had a bad meal there.

It appears that the situation is about the same as when they opened the restaurant before in Thep Thani. Food and prices very good, but you never knew when it would be open.

It would appear that it's pretty much the same old same old as far as a new and/or improved eating establishment here in sunny Surin. I pity on one hand those few brave and foolish Farangs who try to see their dream of a good eating place that caters to us others come in being. Only to realize that it's a very few who go out to dine on a regular basis and if we happen to be with our Thai wives/Gf then the chances are pretty slim she will want to eat in a non Thai restaurant. I applaud their moxey and perhaps in time, say in about another 6 to 8 years when the Farang population here in Surin has doubled then a venture of this type will probably be a success. In the meantime because of this situation I just plan an escape to Bangkok every month or so for the purpose of going to a lot of Farang restaurants that appeal to me. In the end, it's a business that these brave souls have established and unless the bottom line is showing a profit however small or unless they have sufficent funds and this is purely a gesture of love these places are doomed to fail given the current climate in Surin.

Are there actually any "farang" restaurants in Surin which do not also offer Thai food options?

It would appear that it's pretty much the same old same old as far as a new and/or improved eating establishment here in sunny Surin. I pity on one hand those few brave and foolish Farangs who try to see their dream of a good eating place that caters to us others come in being. Only to realize that it's a very few who go out to dine on a regular basis and if we happen to be with our Thai wives/Gf then the chances are pretty slim she will want to eat in a non Thai restaurant. I applaud their moxey and perhaps in time, say in about another 6 to 8 years when the Farang population here in Surin has doubled then a venture of this type will probably be a success. In the meantime because of this situation I just plan an escape to Bangkok every month or so for the purpose of going to a lot of Farang restaurants that appeal to me. In the end, it's a business that these brave souls have established and unless the bottom line is showing a profit however small or unless they have sufficent funds and this is purely a gesture of love these places are doomed to fail given the current climate in Surin.

All very true, and whilst I am not in Surin I doubt that Prakhonchai will buck those observed trends.

It is quite interesting to see the mix of customers at Coffee Corner. Of course, we get the regular Farangs who enjoy/need their fix from a 'farang oasis'. This is especially true of those in transit or visiting from Pattaya etc - just to hear English language TV or see a bottle of Heineken keeps them going. The girlfriends of these customers are generally content to accompany their boyfriends and have either western or Thai food.

Regular customers and their wives will eat from the Thai or Farang menu. These are the ones who spend a lot, or even most, of their time in Thailand. The long-time residents are the most interesting - these are the ones who's wives will rarely eat western food (if at all) and rarely accompany their husbands.

We are seeing an increasing number of Thai customers (couples) who wish to try Farang food. These probably represent about 5% of our customer base and I doubt that we could do more than double that number. Nevertheless they are willing to try (and seem to enjoy) their Farang food experience - and they have money and never think twice about ordering off the top of the menu.

I went to Series Restaurant the other day. It's located on the far side of the lake just East of the Elephant Roundabout. It sits right next to the temple Graveyard. I was really impressed with the layout of the place, It was very trendy and there were plenty of quiet areas to sit and chill. The band were playing some sort of Thai easy listening, i Cant remember too much as i'd done a couple of towers by then. The only drama was that the Beer selection was Tiger and Heineken only.
I was delighted to have Curried Soft Shell Crab, this is one of my favourite Thai dishes which is often hard to come by in these parts.
This is a perfect place to chill, have a natter and check out some eye candy.

I went to Series Restaurant the other day. It's located on the far side of the lake just East of the Elephant Roundabout. It sits right next to the temple Graveyard. I was really impressed with the layout of the place, It was very trendy and there were plenty of quiet areas to sit and chill. The band were playing some sort of Thai easy listening, i Cant remember too much as i'd done a couple of towers by then. The only drama was that the Beer selection was Tiger and Heineken only.
I was delighted to have Curried Soft Shell Crab, this is one of my favourite Thai dishes which is often hard to come by in these parts.
I agree! Series is very nice. The last time I was there they had Corona's on the beer menu. No more Corona's Lukey?

I agree! Series is very nice. The last time I was there they had Corona's on the beer menu. No more Corona's Lukey?

Well guys, being on holiday in Surin at present I have been taking the opportunity to try out as many new eating/drinking places as possible.
Last night wife and I took 4 Thai friends to whom we wished to repay a favour to the new barbecue place that has taken over in the spot that used to be Palio restaurant. It's on the LHS of the main drag going from private hospital towards Big C after the klong crossing.

If you been past recently you would have seen cars and motorbikes packing all available parking. Not surprising as it is offering a buffet BBQ at 129 baht per person.

OK so that means it is all you can eat, go and top up as often as you like. Great range of meats, fish, vegetables for the BBQ. Pre-cooked starters like fried chicken legs, barbecued pla nin. Salad bar, even has ingredients for you to make you own somtam. Sweets bar. Fresh fruit bar. We stuffed ourselves. Their only rule is that if you don't eat all you take from the buffet, they reserve the right to charge an extra 25 baht per person.....not a problem in our case.

Drinks wise we had a bottle of whiskey and several sodas, three large beer Singh, three Spy Classic, large coke. Total bill 1414 baht.

The only slight downside was that I thought the stock was thin and not so tasty as some BBQ restaurants I've tried. However, as time wore on it clearly became tastier and tastier as we kept adding the fine array of ingredients provided. Also, great and very attentive service who deserved the tip I left

Thoroughly recommend.

John, have u tried the one opposite the Surin FC ground. That was always good when I went there.
Nice singers too!EvilLaugh1

Back