AUSTRALIAN BANK ACCOUNT FOR THAI

Prakhonchai Nick

You chose a custom title
At Coffee's suggestion I have started a thread with posts from shoutbox.

1. Question for Aussie members..........Is there any way for a Thai to open an Australian bank account without being physically present in Australia?. 1.6 milion baht to be held in trust for a child.
  2. Today at 10:47 - Wombat:
    In a nutshell, I don't know. Sorry. Surin may know. I'll have a snoop around the internet to try to find out.
  3. Today at 10:51 - Wombat:
    Just checked with my bank and it seems that you have to be an Australian resident to open an account with them
  4. Today at 10:52 - Prakhonchai Nick:
    Have emailed ANZ bank in Bangkok...awaiting reply. Will wait and see if Surin picks up this shout.
  5. 20 minutes ago - Coffee:
    Why not commence a thread for other members to keep an eye on and add ? Answers in the Shoutbox are lost for future use. Just a thought.

The specifics here are that the account needs to be opened by 2 Thai Trustees on behalf of an Australian child living with his Thai mother here in Thailand. The Trustees could I imagine be Australian (the lawyer involved could be used) but their fees to date suggest there won't be any money left when the kid is 18

I doubt it as the applicant must produce 100 points of identification in the from of passport (60), driver's licence (30), credit card (30), birth certificate (30). I am not certain of the values posted. One method may be for you to open the account in your name but give the Thai authority to operate the account. However, I think this would require both parties to present to visit the bank.

but their fees to date suggest there won't be any money left when the kid is 18

Not given the current term deposit rates.

Company Interest Paid 1 year term advertised rate Est. interest earned for 1 year term on $50,000
Advance Notice Term Deposit Annually 1.60% $800.00
Term Deposit Annually 1.55% $775.00
Term Deposit Annually 1.40% $700.00
Term Deposit Annually 1.35% $675.00
Term Deposit Annually 1.05% $525.00

I do not know for sure but I believe you have to be in the country to open an account. Non citizens can open an account

I found this site if it is of any help. They say you can do it over the phone.

https://www.finder.com.au/foreigners-open-a-bank-account-in-australia

PS I wanted to open a UK bank account a few years back remotely. I was told to bugger off.

PSS I am a citizen!

I was going to park some of my retirement funds there to hedge off the AUD fall. Just as well I did not. It is parked in Thailand instead where funny enough after using the account for 4 years for living expenses when I am there, if I now returned the money to Australia. It would be the same value I originally sent.

PS I wanted to open a UK bank account a few years back remotely. I was told to bugger off.

About 3 years ago I had no end of problems trying to keep a UK bank account because I lived overseas. Eventually I jumped through the correct hoops and now still have the account (Isle of Man/Jersey).

Not given the current term deposit rates.

Company Interest Paid 1 year term advertised rate Est. interest earned for 1 year term on $50,000
Advance Notice Term Deposit Annually 1.60% $800.00
Term Deposit Annually 1.55% $775.00
Term Deposit Annually 1.40% $700.00
Term Deposit Annually 1.35% $675.00
Term Deposit Annually 1.05% $525.00

I do not know for sure but I believe you have to be in the country to open an account. Non citizens can open an account

I found this site if it is of any help. They say you can do it over the phone.

https://www.finder.com.au/foreigners-open-a-bank-account-in-australia

PSS I am a citizen!

I was going to park some of my retirement funds there to hedge off the AUD fall. Just as well I did not. It is parked in Thailand instead where funny enough after using the account for 4 years for living expenses when I am there, if I now returned the money to Australia. It would be the same value I originally sent.

Thanks for the link Rice

I will ask HSBC if they can assist

Back