Australian Embassy has declared that it will from the 7th January 2019 it will NOT witness Statutory

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
Today 2/11/2018 the Australian Embassy has declared that it will from the 7th January 2019 it will NOT witness Statutory Declarations for proof on income for Thai Visa extensions.

Look on the bright side, no British Embassy letter will save me 2,400 baht a year. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
No, nothing heard. However, with more embassies withdrawing the endorsement of an expat's income one would hope that the annual bank statement will suffice as proof of income. I have written today to the British Embassy to obtain one last letter under the current system. Last date of application is 12th December 2018. My long stay extension based on retirement expires on 31st December 2018. I will have a year's grace while this impasse plays itself out. If the Thai Immigration Authorities accept the bank statement without Embassy Letter I will continue as before. If not, I may put 400,000 in a Thai bank account and seek a long stay extension based on marriage next time around. Alternatively, I may take a trip to Savannakhet or HCMC and obtain a 12-month multi-entry visa based on marriage with a border hop every 90 days. Wait and see.

It’s all about ex pats putting all that money into Thai banks .
Can you all Imagine how much more money will go into Thai banks now .
Billions Of Thai baht.
Will make the thai economy look a lot better.

What you all go through to live in Thailand to me is a joke .
My Thai in Australia gets everything I get in Australia, and you blokes are very badly treated .

Last edited:
It’s all about ex pats putting all that money into Thai banks .
Can you all Imagine how much more money will go into Thai banks now .
Billions Of Thai baht.
Will make the thai economy look a lot better.

My Thai in Australia gets everything I get in Australia, and you blokes are very badly treated .

I bet the bplah ra isn't as good......

No, nothing heard. However, with more embassies withdrawing the endorsement of an expat's income one would hope that the annual bank statement will suffice as proof of income. I have written today to the British Embassy to obtain one last letter under the current system. Last date of application is 12th December 2018. My long stay extension based on retirement expires on 31st December 2018. I will have a year's grace while this impasse plays itself out. If the Thai Immigration Authorities accept the bank statement without Embassy Letter I will continue as before. If not, I may put 400,000 in a Thai bank account and seek a long stay extension based on marriage next time around. Alternatively, I may take a trip to Savannakhet or HCMC and obtain a 12-month multi-entry visa based on marriage with a border hop every 90 days. Wait and see.

That would mean a new TM6 every 90 days!. Better apply for pension for the current one quickly!:smile:

If we chose to take our Thai wives to our homeland, they too would receive all we get. However, we are here because we clearly prefer Thailand to our home country, and consider the hardships of Thai life are outweighed by the benefits.

They state the same drivel in the legislation of income of so much per month. But you have no way of proving you receive such funds. Why do they even list the option when it is impossible to use.
Will they permit a bank statement of the last year that shows say a 40,000 Baht deposit every month into your Thai bank account? In reality this is the same 40K you take out and place back in each month.

If we chose to take our Thai wives to our homeland, they too would receive all we get. However, we are here because we clearly prefer Thailand to our home country, and consider the hardships of Thai life are outweighed by the benefits.

+1

What hardships ?

Can't say I feel hard done by.

They state the same drivel in the legislation of income of so much per month. But you have no way of proving you receive such funds. Why do they even list the option when it is impossible to use.
Will they permit a bank statement of the last year that shows say a 40,000 Baht deposit every month into your Thai bank account? In reality this is the same 40K you take out and place back in each month.

My bank statement clearly shows 'International Transfer' and it also shows that money going out again to pay the monthly bills. Firstly, I do not believe I can support a wife and two school-age daughters on 40,000 baht per month. If you think I can simply rotate my 40,000 baht each month, send it back to the UK and resend to Thailand the following month, think again. I can not support a family and live on nothing. I am quite sure the vast majority of the older expats are totally dependent on income transferred each month from abroad. I can also support/confirm that 'International Transfer' each month by producing my pension payment slips from my pension providers. I could also produce evidence of spending, such as monthly mortgage repayments, monthly finance payments for a new car, medical bills for treatment, school & extra learning fees and grocery bills from the super markets. And don't forget, Immigration has paid a home visit to confirm my/our living arrangements and will have a pretty good idea of what we need to support our life style. I agree there will be exceptions and other solutions may need to be found. However, for the majority an annual bank statement should be sufficient evidence to support the income required for a retirement extension.

I was referring to the hardships that Georgemandm thinks we have.:)

I never said anything about hardships, did I , no .
I Said what you go through to live in thailand meaning the visa side of it .
Yes you like thailand over your home country,
Thats great , as I have said before on this forum
I tried living in thailand and not for me .

How would he know............... he is not here ! ;)

How would I know I live there for many years.
You ask my thai , we’re she would be , she would say Australia, ask her how much money she has in her bank after working a very short time , ask her how great the Health systems is .
She will tell you Australia.
That’s why we move to Australia.
You don’t need to be in thailand to know about thailand do you .

I never said anything about hardships, did I , no .
I Said what you go through to live in thailand meaning the visa side of it .
Yes you like thailand over your home country,
Thats great , as I have said before on this forum
I tried living in thailand and not for me .

It was me that mentioned hardships initially.

Whilst visas do not concern me,I am sure others take it in their stride.

The benefits here for most farang are the weather and general cost of living. We can have a good life here on our modest pensions, and afford to have our wives/partners at home and not working, whereas back home we would have to take considerable care not to overspend and no doubt have to rely on extra income that our partners could secure.

Thailand is not for everyone, and many a farang, like yourself, has returned home. After 32 years here, this IS my home.:)

How would I know I live there for many years.
You ask my thai , we’re she would be , she would say Australia, ask her how much money she has in her bank after working a very short time , ask her how great the Health systems is .
She will tell you Australia.
That’s why we move to Australia.
You don’t need to be in thailand to know about thailand do you .

Some people are driven by money. I know a few Thais in the UK who would not be dragged back to Thailand - their life style has significantly improved but despite expressing their love of Thailand they would not return to a life of rice-munching. Similarly, Thailand does not suit all Farangs and several are scarred by their experiences.

You certainly do need to be in Thailand to know what is currently going on. You certainly don't need to be in Thailand if you have no interest in it and knowledge is largely about experience rather than time spent. I know a few Farangs who have lived here for more than 10 years but are as clueless now as they were when they landed at Don Muaeng.. :smirk:

Back