Bad News for UK citizens with Thai wives

Discussion in 'Thai Widows & Expats' started by CO-CO, May 30, 2015.

  1. Prakhonchai Nick

    Prakhonchai Nick You chose a custom title


    The new Bereavement Support Payments are coming into force on 6th April 2017. They replace the current Bereavement payments which include Widowed Parents Allowance.

    Unfortunately, under the new regulations, widows, who may be entitled to make the claim for payment, must be regarded as "ordinarily resident" in the UK.

    A person is ordinarily resident if they are normally residing in the UK (apart from temporary or occasional absences), and their residence here has been adopted voluntarily and for settled purposes as part of the regular order of their life for the time being, whether for short or long duration

    In most future cases therefore, Thai widows will not be eligible to claim the new benefits.
    CO-CO likes this.
  2. nomad97

    nomad97 Tyrannosaurus Rex Staff Member

    Thanks for the update. Basically, if you are a retired British subject, living in Thailand with your Thai wife and children, you may receive your single (*) State Pension, pegged/frozen without any review or increase, and nothing else, not even UK health care. Thank you British Government for mis-appropriating and stealing most of my 40+ years worth of National Insurance contributions, plus all those years of paying income tax and for the 20 years loyal service I gave to defend my Queen and Country. Thanks a bundle!

    * Some UK expats may still receive a married persons pension, payable if you started drawing your pension before April 2010 (?).
  3. Prakhonchai Nick

    Prakhonchai Nick You chose a custom title

    Those that are currently receiving bereavement benefits, will continue to do so, as with those receiving the "dependents allowance" tacked on to their state pension. This latter benefit ceased to be claimable in April 2010, and will stop being paid from April 2020 to those currently in receipt..
  4. nomad97

    nomad97 Tyrannosaurus Rex Staff Member

    Yes, I have a friend who is in receipt of the dependents allowance. I told him a couple of weeks back that I thought he would lose it in either 2018 or 2020. Though bad news for him and his wife, thanks for confirming that is the case,
  5. Coffee

    Coffee Guest

    Think on the bright side. :sunglasses:
    If one decides to move back to Blighty with their Thai wife and dependents one would be entitled to the full sledge of benefits after a period of time.
    Would that be the case ? ...(even possibly with some social welfare and health benes on top) ?

    Then one could always write as to how sweet things are back in one's home land.
  6. nomad97

    nomad97 Tyrannosaurus Rex Staff Member

    555! "If one decides to move back to Blighty with their Thai wife and dependents" ....... and if one could get a visa for one's Thai wife, one could fly back to Blighty and throw oneself at the mercy of the Department of Social Security I suppose, and the request immediate placement in suitable accommodation in a part of the country of one's choosing, plus a whole raft of social benefits to go with it. 555! Altogether now, a quick refrain, "Beautiful dreamer, dream on for me ..................... .

    And cut the crap, who really want to take back their 'dependents' with them? I would take back my children but the other dependents can fend for themselves.
  7. adam

    adam Surin relic

    If you are British you would have to fend for yourself, but if you were a foreigner seeking refuge you could pick your postcode!!
  8. Moo Ban

    Moo Ban BANNED

    Surin, Dylan.t, adam and 3 others like this.
  9. Night Stroker

    Night Stroker Surin Legend

    Go back and take the family with you. Get them to apply for the benefits. They would in all probability succeed where as you would not.
    nomad97, gotlost and Croc like this.
  10. nomad97

    nomad97 Tyrannosaurus Rex Staff Member

    True story. About 20 years ago while working in Saudi a friend of mine returned to the UK. He was an ex-Chief Petty Officer, RN, and had been in continuous employment since leaving school, paid his taxes and National Insurance. Then aged 45 he was, for the first time, unemployed. He reported to the DWP (Department for Work and Pensions) and was told, very politely, he was not entitled to anything for at least 6 months. In contrast, his unmarried sister, her live-in boyfriend and 3 children, who had never worked since leaving school, lived high on the hog with everything provided by the State, including the 3 bed-roomed house. If you are a lazy bastard who has never worked you can get all the benefits under the sun. If you have worked all your life, served your Queen and country, paid your taxes & subscriptions, you get nothing. Go figure!

    Footnote. Reportedly there are 7,000 homeless ex-Servicemen sleeping rough in the UK. Its a National shame. Topical subject in the UK press this week.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  11. Moo Ban

    Moo Ban BANNED

    nomad97 likes this.
  12. nomad97

    nomad97 Tyrannosaurus Rex Staff Member

  13. Coffee

    Coffee Guest

    ^^^ After possibly six months you shouldn't have any problems stating that you as a British citizen with military background and clearly out of a patriotic sense has decided to move back to the UK permanently with his family.

    How could they possibly deny you and your family of more than ten years permanent status (with benes) in Britain ?
  14. nomad97

    nomad97 Tyrannosaurus Rex Staff Member

    You missed one of my earlier points, I doubt that I could get a visa for my Thai wife of 13 years standing. I think it would be very difficult to get her a visa to travel, let alone reside in the UK. The children are no problem, they have dual nationality if they want it. As to benefits, forget it! My pensionable income is higher than the maximum/minimum threshold for benefits. There would be a few child related benefits/tax breaks to have but that's about it. And, of course, medical (not dental) would be free as would be education up to university age. Now university tuition fees + living expenses currently run at some £22,000 (*) per year per child. That is way beyond my limited means as a pensioner to give my daughters a three-year university degree in England. And finally, it is acceptable to have a much younger wife and live in Thailand, no so in the UK. Most people in the UK would be quite prejudiced to see us together and living next door to them, especially if I was allocated a council house or flat (apartment) in one of the less than salubrious council estates that abound throughout the UK. Perish the thought!

    Croc, robjak and Coffee like this.
  15. Coffee

    Coffee Guest

    I can not understand why a British man's wife can not go through the visa process if she has the ability to communicate in English.

    There are several members of these forums that have lived in Britain, America and Australia with their Thai wives.

    As far as the difference in age, who cares what people think.
    Some might write that it would be nice to enjoy your neighbor's jealousy (though I'm not one to think like that).
    nomad97 and Prakhonchai Nick like this.
  16. Ivor the Engine

    Ivor the Engine Nowhere man

    Everyone's circumstances are different but a long time friend, who lived in Buriram returned permanently to UK (mainly to help with his daughters educational prospects). This guy has a regular job and twice has been refused recently for his wife to visit her daughter & husband for a mere holiday.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nomad97 likes this.
  17. Coffee

    Coffee Guest

    Exactly correct.
  18. nomad97

    nomad97 Tyrannosaurus Rex Staff Member

    There is an Englishman whose Thai wife and daughter (dual nationality) are living in the same soi as me. He works in the UK where he has a good well paid job and a house too. He / she have been unable, to the best of my knowledge, to obtain a UK visa for over a year now. In my own case, I do not have a house in the UK and, at nearly 70 years old, I would be unable to find any employment, let alone well paid. The ability to provide adequate means of financial support for one's family, together with suitable accommodation, are two key factors associated with obtaining a visa for one's wife. There are other factors too, such as the wife's ability to pass her medical (TB) and the all important 'Life in UK' written examination (not as easy as it may sound). As I say, it would prove very difficult/impossible for my wife to get a visa for the UK. If I win the lottery I will think about it then.
  19. Prakhonchai Nick

    Prakhonchai Nick You chose a custom title

    You are of course referring to a settlement visa. Minimum requirement is £18,000 annual income + extra for your wife, + suitable accommodation.etc etc

    However a visit visa, (should that be required) should not be a problem.
    nomad97 likes this.
New | Recent