Bank Letter for Retirement Extension

W

Wombat

Well, last week I finally got my retirement extension but boy what a drama!

I probably would have been better off paying for one in Pattaya.

My main problem was the statutory declaration that I got from the Australian Embassy. In it, I declared that my monthly income was 75,000 baht but I should have declared it in Australian Dollars. They do the conversion at the immigration office, obviously I did not know this. Secondly, they also told me that the declaration should not have been filled in by handwriting. I told them that there is not a facility to type one up at the embassy and, as I am an ex cop, I had witnessed countless stat decs that were hand written. Of course, they win that argument. So, next time I will get some blank forms and type one up then take it to the embassy to be signed OR I will just go for the 800,000 baht in the bank method which brings me to my question.

As part of a negotiated agreement between immigration and myself, my extension would be granted provided I pay "a fee" and I get a bank letter, that day, proving I had what I had in the bank (520,000B). I have an account with Kasikorn in Robinson but immigration told me that the Prasat branch could do the letter so, jump in the car and drive the short distance to Prasat. Get to the bank and, yes they can do the letter as they have done many before but, no cannot do it now as both managers are out for the afternoon. So, off to Robinson we go, fortunately I had my wife with me. Get to Robinson and the staff don't know about any letter for immigration, seems they have never done one! Well the manager, who speaks English, eventually decided that he would ring around and do a bit of research and do his first letter. Well after an hours wait and 300 baht later I got the letter. Back to Kap Choeng.

Several hours later and several baht later I walked out with my extension, all up with the trip to Robinson, it took about 6 hours. Immigration kept asking me if I was "happy" with this procedure and they assured me that next time it would go smoothly.

Can anybody recommend a bank in Surin that has done the letter to immigration on a regular basis and will understand what is needed? I intend to deposit the 800,000 baht annually, season it for the 3 months then live off it for the rest of the year.

Thanks in advance.

What a drama, Wombat! I have done my Statutory Declarations in handwriting (well, my best school principal printing) at the Australian Embassy on 3 occasions and never had a suggestion that they should be typed.

Sounds as though you ran into an efficiency expert.

Quite correct that you must state your income in our currency and allow them to do the conversion at "today's" rate. I usually approximate the baht value in brackets just in case I meet an official for whom Maths was not his best subject.

What was the "fee" you mentioned?

Bill, I would prefer not to say at the moment, I have a feeling that Immigration may read this website.

As I mentioned in my post it was nearly more profitable to have bought one in Pattaya.

Had I not paid I faced the dilemma of another trip to the embassy then another trip back to Kap Choeng, the expense of all this plus time and stress. It was far easier to just pay what we agreed upon.

I will say that the first fee mentioned was very high, I negotiated down to a third of what was originally asked.

Can anybody recommend a bank in Surin that has done the letter to immigration on a regular basis and will understand what is needed? I intend to deposit the 800,000 baht annually, season it for the 3 months then live off it for the rest of the year.

Thanks in advance.

I use Kasikorn Bank in Surin and have done for the last 14 years. Rarely a problem (except when a trainee gets involved) and it's now done while you wait (5-10 minutes). Note: check that the amount on the letter matches precisely with the amount in your passbook.

Y

[Edit: the letter should cost Bht 100.00]

Siam Commercial Bank Prasad also doe the statement. Their fee 200TB. According to the official Thai application for Extension of Temporary Stay in Kingdom form (TM 7) the fee is TB1900

Welcome to paradise !

Sorry Wombat , I could not resist.

One must live here to learn all the tricks.

THB 800,000 (approx AUD 28,000) seasoned for plus 90 days in a Thai bank account is the easiest route if the finances don't present a problem. Agreed1

Bill, I would prefer not to say at the moment, I have a feeling that Immigration may read this website.

I'd be surprised of they are a member of this forum, although I was approached by the boss of another Imm Office awhile ago.

As I mentioned in my post it was nearly more profitable to have bought one in Pattaya.

Had I not paid I faced the dilemma of another trip to the embassy then another trip back to Kap Choeng, the expense of all this plus time and stress. It was far easier to just pay what we agreed upon.

I will say that the first fee mentioned was very high, I negotiated down to a third of what was originally asked.

I doubt immigration do read this website - if they did coffee would probably have been deported by now! :smile:

I am not saying that (in the circumstances) I would not have been tempted to do the same, but fundamentally I am opposed to paying any 'fee' to immigration that is not clearly published on their board. It only encourages continuing corruption and does nothing to help future Farangs dealing with immigration.

Bangkok Bank Kap Choeng, 100 baht and my account is in Chiang Mai. I used the letter from the US Embassy in Chiang Mai this past May, HAND WRITTEN, no problem. And it was in USD. As I have said immigration nationwide does the conversion on the day you apply on the highest TT rate. Also the letter from your embassy is good for 6 months.

I doubt immigration do read this website - if they did coffee would probably have been deported by now! :smile:

I am not saying that (in the circumstances) I would not have been tempted to do the same, but fundamentally I am opposed to paying any 'fee' to immigration that is not clearly published on their board. It only encourages continuing corruption and does nothing to help future Farangs dealing with immigration.

Point taken Co-Co but I had made a mistake with my paperwork and was offered a solution that could be solved on the day, my other option was to do another border run 1300 baht, another trip to Bangkok for the letter an overnighter, minimum 3000 baht and then return and try again. I was assured countless times that I would receive "silver service" next renewal and every one after. They also kept asking me If I was happy with this solution. At the time I thought it the best way.
They also made some veiled threats about not allowing me to do another border run and just giving me a 7 day extension prior to leaving their office. My non O visa was due to expire in 2 days time.

My non O visa was due to expire in 2 days time.

As far as I am aware, you are now permitted to apply for your extension renewal up to 2 months in advanced. I've always considered it prudent to apply at least 3 weeks prior to expiration of the previous extension just in case there are any hiccoughs.

Y

Point taken Co-Co but I had made a mistake with my paperwork and was offered a solution that could be solved on the day, my other option was to do another border run 1300 baht, another trip to Bangkok for the letter an overnighter, minimum 3000 baht and then return and try again. I was assured countless times that I would receive "silver service" next renewal and every one after. They also kept asking me If I was happy with this solution. At the time I thought it the best way.
They also made some veiled threats about not allowing me to do another border run and just giving me a 7 day extension prior to leaving their office. My non O visa was due to expire in 2 days time.

Those were not threats they are fact and are at the IO discretion and you being Aussie you would have only gotten a 15 day visa exempt by land. I don't mean to preach but your mistake and it was honest does not constitute accusations against immigration.

Those were not threats they are fact and are at the IO discretion and you being Aussie you would have only gotten a 15 day visa exempt by land. I don't mean to preach but your mistake and it was honest does not constitute accusations against immigration.

GL, as far as I am aware I was entitled to do another border run to get a further 90 days on my non O visa as it had not expired. Therefore I considered what was said to be a threat. Therefore, I could walk out of the office, jump in my car, proceed to Chong Chom, walk out, walk in, then get another 90 day stay. It was inferred that I would not be able to do this. If I am wrong then so be it.

As far as I am aware, you are now permitted to apply for your extension renewal up to 2 months in advanced. I've always considered it prudent to apply at least 3 weeks prior to expiration of the previous extension just in case there are any hiccoughs.

Y

Yorky, I still had 40 days left on my then entry stamp, I just wanted to get my extension done early as possible.

Understood - and please don't read any criticism into my post. As i said, I would probably have taken the option on the table as well. But, even mentioning 'silver service' next time smacks of guilt/corruption.

GL, as far as I am aware I was entitled to do another border run to get a further 90 days on my non O visa as it had not expired. Therefore I considered what was said to be a threat. Therefore, I could walk out of the office, jump in my car, proceed to Chong Chom, walk out, walk in, then get another 90 day stay. It was inferred that I would not be able to do this. If I am wrong then so be it.

If you had only been her for under 365 days and you had NOT gone pass the enter by date on your multi O then you were initialed to do a quick border hop and get a noter 90 days.

what was your 'enter by date' on your visa?

If you had only been her for under 365 days and you had NOT gone pass the enter by date on your multi O then you were initialed to do a quick border hop and get a noter 90 days.

what was your 'enter by date' on your visa?

GL, as I said, my non O had not expired, my entry date was 11 October and I went to immigration on 9 October.

I use Kasikorn Bank in Surin and have done for the last 14 years. Rarely a problem (except when a trainee gets involved) and it's now done while you wait (5-10 minutes). Note: check that the amount on the letter matches precisely with the amount in your passbook.

Y

[Edit: the letter should cost Bht 100.00]

Yorky, where is the Kasikorn Branch in Surin you are talking about. Is it the one in Surin Plaza?

Back