Best Pad k Pow in Surin

. ..a lot of navvies have a gypsy background...... :grinning:
navvies (plural noun)

1. a laborer employed in the excavation and construction of a road, railroad, or canal.
    synonyms:
    workman · worker · working man · hand · manual worker · unskilled worker · blue-collar worker · hired hand · hired man · roustabout · laboring man · drudge · menial · peon · rouseabout · mazdoor · khalasi · cottar · kanaka · mechanic · cottier
Oooooookay. I must be a navvy then myself. Prefer it over a white collar job. When doing construction electrician work in a union you'd finish a job, go to the union hall and find out where your next job would be. I worked all over the area at all sorts of construction sites big and small. And I'm not a gypsy. :)

Although there are union electricians and other tradesmen who choose to work somewhere else when the jobs are scarce. So they would 'pull their card' as the saying goes from their local union hall and go to another union location around the country and 'put their union card' into another union hall in an area where there was work to be had in the trade. I.B.E.W. The locals in the union would call these guys 'gypsies'. Not entirely derogatory actually.

Same for working in the airline industry for the union (I.A.M.). We could 'bid' on open jobs within the airline at stations (airports/cities) across the country, (even the world actually for some jobs) that had open jobs and get the job before they would try to hire to fill the opening. Went by seniority and job description. A lot of the single employees would do it just to get away from home for a six month or year bid out.

Last edited:
It was your cook and maybe your daughter sitting down to eat .
Privacy what I mean is I don't like to sit at a table so near to another table they can hear all you are saying , squashed up is another way to put it .
OK for a greesy truck stop off the highway but not to go with the wife or family .
As I say the Old Starbeams was great.
Nowadays if we go out we go to Ampun Res and sitin a hut away from other people and relax .
Aircon an me don't get on it gets on my chest .
Just my thoughts.
Possibly SIL and my daughter. They come every Wednesday to the Thep Thani house to hang about and relax and use the pool etc. They use the place you mention or your Exes noodle shop too when hungry. (SIL is loathe to cook on her one day a week off.) That shop has a decent Thai customer base, even lots of truck drivers stop on the berm and go inside to eat some lunch. Can get busy at times, especially around lunch time.

The old Starbeam's was great. The idiot owner of the place has lost thousands of baht from us over the years since he screwed it up. Never any renters except for a month or two. None stay longer usually. Usually empty for months and he loses money. We'd have still been there the past 5 or 6 years since we left there. Hell, probably for the best. I wouldn't want to have to pay that high rent the past two years with the lack of customers due to the covid shit. LOL

Possibly SIL and my daughter. They come every Wednesday to the Thep Thani house to hang about and relax and use the pool etc. They use the place you mention or your Exes noodle shop too when hungry. That shop has a decent Thai customer base, even lots of truck drivers stop on the berm and go inside to eat some lunch. Can get busy at times, especially around lunch time.

The old Starbeam's was great. The idiot owner of the place has lost thousands of baht from us over the years since he screwed it up. Never any renters except for a month or two. None stay longer usually. Usually empty for months and he loses money. We'd have still been there the past 5 or 6 years since we left there. Hell, probably for the best. I wouldn't want to have to pay that high rent the past two years with the lack of customers due to the covid shit. LOL
I see it's for rent again but no takers ffs

I see it's for rent again but no takers ffs
Yup. Seems to almost always be empty. Heard when he had a motorcycle repair shop renting it the local neighbors were up in arms about all the noise and the smell. He had to kick them out I was told. Was a perfect spot for the/a restaurant though. Plenty of street parking too across the road, nice view across the road, open area not surrounded on all sides by other buildings, and a good spot out front for some seating and relaxing, as well as the extra space upstairs. The building owner is a fool really.

Back