British Passports - Turnaround Times

nomad97

Resident Geek
Straight out of the lean, mean cuisine book... :tearsofjoy:
My wife and daughters have deserted me, they are in Bangkok. I was in town and could not be arsed cooking tonight. So, a quick visit to the Junkie Burger shop. It was the first time in a long time, and very nice too. :)

P.S. The passport applications for British Passports for my 2 daughters were submitted this morning without a hitch. We were told to expect the return of the new passports in about 13 weeks. The lady also said she would hold the passport if it arrived separately from the second. There would be no need for 2 separate trips to Bangkok to collect the passports.

Last edited:
P.S. The passport applications for British Passports for my 2 daughters were submitted this morning without a hitch. We were told to expect the return of the new passports in about 13 weeks. The lady also said she would hold the passport if it arrived separately from the second. There would be no need for 2 separate trips to Bangkok to collect the passports.

I trust that they will be luckier than I. It took me six months just to get HMPO (not VAC/VFS) to accept my application! God knows when (or to where) my passport may arrive.

My wife and daughters have deserted me, they are in Bangkok. I was in town and could not be arsed cooking tonight. So, a quick visit to the Junkie Burger shop. It was the first time in a long time, and very nice too. :)

VFS will advise when the passports are returned from the uK

Note

We will keep the passport for 30 days, after that we must return the passport back to the UK.

An appointment is not required for passport collection.

We are open from Monday to Friday (except on public holidays) from 14:00-15:00 hours.

Please note:
When collecting the passport, you must bring your document receipt checklist (or print out this email) and previous passport(if renewal)with you for cancellation, if you do not do so, then we will not be able to provide the new passport.

We are open from Monday to Friday (except on public holidays) from 14:00-15:00 hours.

Please note:
When collecting the passport, you must bring your document receipt checklist (or print out this email) and previous passport(if renewal)with you for cancellation, if you do not do so, then we will not be able to provide the new passport.

What is your "document receipt checklist"?

@Moderators : could the posts pertaining to British passports be moved to a new thread?

No doubt what it says. A receipt for the documents that were submitted.. I have never personally visited VFS so have not had to take said document.

I don't have a receipt for the documents submitted. They were sent with the application (un-numbered) by courier direct to HMPO Liverpool.

HMPO have not sent me a receipt (although they have acknowledged that they have received the application)

Last edited:
I don't have a receipt for the documents submitted. They were sent with the application (un-numbered) by courier direct to HMPO Liverpool.

HMPO have not sent me a receipt (although they have acknowledged that they have received the application)

Sounds like you will be taking the " (or print out this email)" option.

Sounds like you will be taking the " (or print out this email)" option.

I am currently refusing to take any option until they confirm that they will reimburse the cost of me travelling to Bangkok to collect the passport. I have suggested that to minimise costs the passport is couriered direct to my home from Liverpool or VAC/VFS in Bangkok forward it to me by courier. They don't appear to be able to grasp these options.

I am currently refusing to take any option until they confirm that they will reimburse the cost of me travelling to Bangkok to collect the passport. I have suggested that to minimise costs the passport is couriered direct to my home from Liverpool or VAC/VFS in Bangkok forward it to me by courier. They don't appear to be able to grasp these options.

Oh, they grasp them - they just won't agree to them.

Currently anywhere from 12-17 weeks

Note that an appointment needs to be made to submit the application at VFS, and they generally need a 3 week lead in time to secure the date of your choice

Passports should be renewed ideally 1 year before expiry, and not later than 6 months

Last edited:
Currently anywhere from 12-17 weeks

Note that an appointment needs to be made to submit the application at VFS, and they generally need a 3 week lead in time to secure the date of your choice

Passports should be renewed ideally 1 year before expiry, and not later than 6 months
My wife bumped into an Englishman from Buriram while submitting our papers. His passport was due to run out in 30 days' time. Don't fancy his chances of getting a new one in this timescale.

Will the British Embassy issue 'Emergency Travel Documents' for delays caused by the Passport Office itself?

The UK Gov website doesn't offer any clarity in that matter: https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document nor does the website for the British Embassy in Bangkok which does have guidance on obtaining a replacement passport in an emergency - but only if the passport has been lost or stolen. Otherwise, the site refers one back to the website address shown above. Helpful as ever! (Not)

Will the British Embassy issue 'Emergency Travel Documents' for delays caused by the Passport Office itself?

The UK Gov website doesn't offer any clarity in that matter: https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document nor does the website for the British Embassy in Bangkok which does have guidance on obtaining a replacement passport in an emergency - but only if the passport has been lost or stolen. Otherwise, the site refers one back to the website address shown above. Helpful as ever! (Not)

Yes.

But they are no use for extensions of stay - only travel.

My wife bumped into an Englishman from Buriram while submitting our papers. His passport was due to run out in 30 days' time. Don't fancy his chances of getting a new one in this timescale.
His only choice is to return to the UK within the remaining days of his passport, get a new one whilst there then return and start over with his needs to remain in Thailand.

I did help one farang in Buriram earlier this year, who had just a few weeks remaining on his passport. Sufficient time - just -under normal circumstances, but there was a problem with glare on his photos, and HMPO contacted him by email. He claimed he never received the original email, and only their follow up some 5/6 weeks later, by which time his passport had all but expired. . Nevertheless, though he never contacted me again, I understand he is still here and came to an "arrangement" with Buriram immigration!

His only choice is to return to the UK within the remaining days of his passport, get a new one whilst there then return and start over with his needs to remain in Thailand.

I did help one farang in Buriram earlier this year, who had just a few weeks remaining on his passport. Sufficient time - just -under normal circumstances, but there was a problem with glare on his photos, and HMPO contacted him by email. He claimed he never received the original email, and only their follow up some 5/6 weeks later, by which time his passport had all but expired. . Nevertheless, though he never contacted me again, I understand he is still here and came to an "arrangement" with Buriram immigration!

.....and I still don't understand what that 'arrangement' could have been. AFAIK you cannot extend permission to stay beyond the expiry date of the passport.

Back