Building My House in Ban Nong Nok Chao, Sisaket

There are eight in the kitchen................We should have fitted at least another two double sockets in the kitchen

I agree. We have 5 x twins in the kitchen. Two at low level (fridge/freezer and washing machine) and 3 at about 300mm above the worktop surface - these cover the kettle, microwave, rice cooker, deep fry, toaster, food processor, grinder/liquidiser, sandwich toaster and slow cooker most of which are stored in cupboards when not in use. I have never been short of a socket in the kitchen.

[Edit: cooker hood is separate]

However, in the lounge I have 4 x twins which I located badly on the four different walls. Most of the permanent electrical equipment (TV, tuner, CD player, DVD player, speaker, satellite receiver) are all on one side of the room therefore I need a plug bar. The third bedroom which houses the desktop has 3 x twins only one of which is suitably placed for the whole shebang! Hence another plugbar.

Last edited:
Arrrrgh! Why would you want electric outlets in bathrooms other than possibly a shaver socket? Are the light switches for the bathrooms inside or outside the rooms?

They were installed for shavers - but don't have the protection afforded by UK units. The hinged flap remains firmly closed in each of them, in case anyone goes near them with wet fingers! (The slight saving grace is that the tiles around them remain free from condensation here, all year round, unlike in the UK when steam from baths, showers and wash basins ensured that the walls ran with it.)
The light switches are all outside the bathrooms.

Merlin:
I will have the lovely wife dig through receipts for company that made the bar unit, shouldn't be a problem...but hope they are still open and doing business. We sourced through a store in one of the malls in Samut Prakan. Might be able to get info tomorrow.

Thank you very much Mario!

View attachment 13591 I am very pleased to tell all Natty and I have started to build a home in her village, ten or so kilometers from Sisaket town. The house will be a little over 1100 sq ft with a 400 sq ft covered car park. 2 br, 1 bath and Thai style kitchen. I liked the plan off the internet but wanted to enlarge and customize it, so had the blueprints drawn up in Sisaket for a reasonable 12,500 baht. First Post ceremony was held May 18th and the roof should go up in a week or two, construction is scheduled to be completed Dec.1st.
I wish I could be there for the build but my vacation is not till the end of the year and I have 5 more years until retirement. Natty is taking care of all and I am confident she is up for the task. Here are some photos of the finished product (I pray) , the blue print and my latest photo update from my love.
Great and welcome to Sisaket.

Arrrrgh! Why would you want electric outlets in bathrooms other than possibly a shaver socket? Are the light switches for the bathrooms inside or outside the rooms?
As Yorky says...arrrrgh !!
I am sure you realise that is very dangerous indeed, and even allowing for the " when your time comes" attitude of the Buddhist faith.....................that is pushing it.

Glad this is turning out to be a good source of reference/thought for George & Natty.

I do agree that the electrics need very very close scrutiny. In my Surin 'monument' the 2 showers were later found to be incorrectly wired up. They were earthed though. The guy marked up and installed false circuit breakers labelled for the showers but went no-where!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) Have plenty of power points installed. Us farangs are 'hungry' for them more than Thai's.

Just an observation that could only happen in Asia. A friend of mine installed 4 x twins in the main bedroom, one at both sides of the bed head. When the bed was installed his wife's mother proclaimed that it was pointing the wrong way and had to be rotated 90 degrees. He had to then get the sparks back in to move the sockets!

Just an observation that could only happen in Asia. A friend of mine installed 4 x twins in the main bedroom, one at both sides of the bed head. When the bed was installed his wife's mother proclaimed that it was pointing the wrong way and had to be rotated 90 degrees. He had to then get the sparks back in to move the sockets!

Fortunately I was made aware of the 'head of the bed faces east' before it could be a problem, but that's only one of those Asian things I ran into during the build. All of my exterior doors (5 of them) open in, as they had all my life in every home. Not here though, doors open out...keeps the snakes from getting in.

Merlin: attached is business card with info, the lovely wife feels they will still be around and doing business as they were long-time family run.

Thank you and your LW for finding this. We'll be off to Bkk in a week or so, and hope to discuss our needs with the business then. Cheers!

"Hi-fi" cabinet (made to measure).

The specification for mounting the receiver (top right) required at least 100 mm clearance above and a free flow of air all around. The rear panel on that shelf was virtually removed.

Ashamed to admit, been there done that a few times!
Moral of the story is to communicate everything that you 'take for granted'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 13620

Merlin: attached is business card with info, the lovely wife feels they will still be around and doing business as they were long-time family run.

What the hell is Ice Land Fashion furniture? You got me! They are in Chatuchak Bangkok anyway.
Had to really expand that blurry card to see if indeed that said Ice Land and not Ire land.

Merlin, there are a couple of furniture shops in Surin that sell (have sold) the kind of drinks bar / room divider that you are looking for. I haven't been inside either for a few years so my information may be out of date. However, for what its worth the first shop sits nearly opposite the old Index Shop on the left-hand side of the road (226) on the way into town. As you come into town from Sikoraphum, cross the ring road near Robinson, and the shop is about 500 meters from the traffic lights and a couple of 100 meters before Sinthon Village. The second shop is in town on the continuation of the 226 that runs past the police station on the way to Buriram, past the law courts and the town hall, through the next set of traffic lights and on the left-hand side of the road opposite the Memorial Hotel. Hope this helps.

Merlin, there are a couple of furniture shops in Surin that sell (have sold) the kind of drinks bar / room divider that you are looking for. I haven't been inside either for a few years so my information may be out of date. However, for what its worth the first shop sits nearly opposite the old Index Shop on the left-hand side of the road (226) on the way into town. As you come into town from Sikoraphum, cross the ring road near Robinson, and the shop is about 500 meters from the traffic lights and a couple of 100 meters before Sinthon Village. The second shop is in town on the continuation of the 226 that runs past the police station on the way to Buriram, past the law courts and the town hall, through the next set of traffic lights and on the left-hand side of the road opposite the Memorial Hotel. Hope this helps.

Thank you, Nomad. I have been to both shops (though not recently) and didn't find what I was looking for, unfortunately. I'll have another look!

Back