Buying Land

Is it not just an extra precaution incase of future problems, to ensure that the Thai spouse gets the land/house and NOT the Farang?

Not sure I understand that comment. Sommrot ensures the complete opposite.

As most people know things can change from office to office.

I thought I would post my experience to help others.

Maybe the next time someone on here buys some land they should go to the land office too. Ask that the arrangement is made as Sin sommrot. It is clearly a legal entitlement.

Unless met by an official with sympathy for foreign investment, maybe it is something that is not offered unless asked for.

Not sure I understand that comment. Sommrot ensures the complete opposite.

As most people know things can change from office to office.

I thought I would post my experience to help others.

Maybe the next time someone on here buys some land they should go to the land office too. Ask that the arrangement is made as Sin sommrot. It is clearly a legal entitlement.

Unless met by an official with sympathy for foreign investment, maybe it is something that is not offered unless asked for.

I think it is important to highlight the different knowledge/attitude/experience of each land office/officer.

When I paid for some land about 5 years ago I registered a usufruct on the chanote. Sebastian, from Isaan Lawyers, came along because they had never registered a usufruct in Buriram before and some land offices were known to have 'rejected' such documents. We had no issues at the local office.

In your case Steve it is interesting that you were not expecting to be enjoined in the transaction but the officer insisted.

Back