Caraboa beer

For two years I'd been asking if there was a locally brewed dark beer, and been told no. No dark beer brewed in Thailand. Of course I was also warned by family here that Carabao was not good, stay away. I figured it was the Lone Star or Natural Lite of Thailand.

Either they were lying about no dark beers in Thailand, or know sh*t from Shinola about Carabao and just repeating what the big three are telling them to say. I've now tried both the Dunkel and Lager versions of Carabao, but it was with low expectations given what I had heard.

Dunkel first, and it was good. Never heard the term Dunkel before, and from what I've read, it means 'dark' and can be whatever the brewer wants it to mean. This was somewhere between a bock and a stout. A little skunky, and not as heavy as a stout. I'd been hoping for something closer to a Red, or Brown Ale, but will take what I can get.

Their Lager was wonderful. Much better than the Singha that I'd been drinking, and a bit cheaper. There is a good hop to it, but what I like best is that the malty flavor seems to come through. (at least that's what I call it.)

On a personal note: A lot of beer will give me a headache. Not talking about a hang over, a headache about 5 minutes into a bottle. (Chang does it, and Budweiser seems to be the world's worst for that.) The Dunkel gave just a hint, and I didn't notice anything from the Lager (though further testing is required)

-sterling

For two years I'd been asking if there was a locally brewed dark beer, and been told no. No dark beer brewed in Thailand. Of course I was also warned by family here that Carabao was not good, stay away. I figured it was the Lone Star or Natural Lite of Thailand.

Either they were lying about no dark beers in Thailand, or know sh*t from Shinola about Carabao and just repeating what the big three are telling them to say. I've now tried both the Dunkel and Lager versions of Carabao, but it was with low expectations given what I had heard.

Dunkel first, and it was good. Never heard the term Dunkel before, and from what I've read, it means 'dark' and can be whatever the brewer wants it to mean. This was somewhere between a bock and a stout. A little skunky, and not as heavy as a stout. I'd been hoping for something closer to a Red, or Brown Ale, but will take what I can get.

Their Lager was wonderful. Much better than the Singha that I'd been drinking, and a bit cheaper. There is a good hop to it, but what I like best is that the malty flavor seems to come through. (at least that's what I call it.)

On a personal note: A lot of beer will give me a headache. Not talking about a hang over, a headache about 5 minutes into a bottle. (Chang does it, and Budweiser seems to be the world's worst for that.) The Dunkel gave just a hint, and I didn't notice anything from the Lager (though further testing is required)

-sterling
The Carabao Dunkel has recently started to show up here in Surin bars and restaurants. Also Tawandang Weisen beer is now being sold as well. If you like German wheat beer this one hits the spot.

1706452715096.png

Not aware of any bars/resto's selling it in SSK, mind you, I've now gone to trying Korean plonk (Suju) & Japanese whiskey (Tenko)!!!!!

Alternating shots of cold Korean chungsul soju and Johnney Walker Black (I do not personally know Tenko) is the way to go if you want to go dancing or sing karaoke in a Korean establishment...and particularly if you do not always care where you rest your head.

(Back in the day I enjoyed Korean ladies.)

Alternating shots of cold Korean chungsul soju and Johnney Walker Black (I do not personally know Tenko) is the way to go if you want to go dancing or sing karaoke in a Korean establishment...and particularly if you do not always care where you rest your head.

Anything with a pulse would do you :p :p :p :p :p

I can understand that.

I believe Ivor meant "Tendo" not Tenko, it is a Japanese styled whiskey, made in Thailand by Tawandang . I wrote a review a couple years ago on the whiskey, it has a fantastic smell, tastes very good and costs 390 a large bottle.

Tawandang has their poop in a group, Tendo is available at the convenience stores that display a large red check mark as a logo or at Makro. I highly recommend it

I believe Ivor meant "Tendo" not Tenko, it is a Japanese styled whiskey, made in Thailand by Tawandang . I wrote a review a couple years ago on the whiskey, it has a fantastic smell, tastes very good and costs 390 a large bottle.

Tawandang has their poop in a group, Tendo is available at the convenience stores that display a large red check mark as a logo or at Makro. I highly recommend it
Correct. I think TENKO was the name of an old war series set in a Japanese concentration Camp!!!

Rose' beer from Tawandang. At TOPS market in Surin. Bought one for my wife to try out. She likes the occasional beer sometimes on her day off. Thinking she may enjoy this. I'll have a sip to taste myself and check it out.

1706591879548.png

She likes the occasional beer sometimes on her day off. Thinking she may enjoy this.
Hi Cent, If she likes Tawandang, she may also like Thai Sato, which is made locally. It's only 4% and not too sweet. Available from Subtle Hub a great little craft beer bar located at 6 19 Rungkit Rd, Surin. Subtle Hub also have a great selection of their own craft beer along with other Thai and overseas beers.

Attachments

• Thai Sato.JPG
    Thai Sato.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi Cent, If she likes Tawandang, she may also like Thai Sato, which is made locally. It's only 4% and not too sweet. Available from Subtle Hub a great little craft beer bar located at 6 19 Rungkit Rd, Surin. Subtle Hub also have a great selection of their own craft beer along with other Thai and overseas beers.

Subtle Hub is next to Junkie Burger.

I've had the Sato before. Basically a weaker Thai rice wine. Not bad. Cheap too. They were selling it in 7-11 at one point. Not sure they still do.

I was just in my local grocery shop and noticed Tawandang now has a third beer on the market. India Pale Ale is marketed in a white can with green label. From my university days I remember IPA to be an Englishman's beer and drank at near room temperature. I can't think of a single big brand IPA styled beer in North America .

Two questions for those that enjoy an India Pale Ale, is Tawandang's any good?

Back