Complaining in a Thai restaurant.....your advice please

John,

It's a no win situation. As a Thai your wife does not like the confrontation. The way they handle it, usually, is to pay up, leave, and never go back and give their custom again to the place. They'll tell their friends and complain to friends and family, basically warning those they know not to go there as well. Generally speaking. They seem to pick and choose their battles differently than we farang do.

Basically I would pay, leave, and tell my wife "Well, we'll never go to this place again will we honey?" She will totally agree with you.

The thing is the staff are not at fault in this scenario you describe. The staff are also not able to do any 'discounting' actually, and would likely have to pay any difference if they did out of their own pocket, or all of it if you just refused to pay and walked out on the bin. The 'boss' will get his money no matter what. I would like to know which Korean BBQ place this was, so I can avoid the place. I doubt they will be open long though if this happens frequently.

These places survive because they are cheaper than hell. And they use the cheapest ingredients and needed materials they can get away with.

The one Korean BBQ I used to go to with my wife and family is the 'Ah Ee 2' which is on the road where the schools are, across the street from them just before the traffic lights. (Ah Ee 1, the original, is the place near the Chevy dealership up by the 'Surin King' traffic rotary monument, across from the 'lake' where the paddle boats used to be.)

As Coco said, you are damned if you do and damned (in your wallet at least) if you don't. Mainly the best option is to take it on the chin and move on. You know your wife. If she hates this sort of confrontational complaint and it upsets her, and you don't want her to not speak to you, then keep that in mind when running into this sort of stuff. I choose my battles as well, depending on how much it will cost me. :)

The 'principal of the thing' does not seem to be a Thai cultural trait. They have different principals. (Mai pen rai my ass!)

Remind me to tell you the story of the rotary saw and the weed whacker I bought at Makro when they first opened here in Surin when I see you Sunday at Norby's.

Cheers,

Mike

Agree. It is standard practice here that if a patron refuses to pay, the funds come out of the employees pocket, whether it be a person who slips by a hotel receptionist and bails on the bill, or a patron who refuses to pay because they were not satisfied with their meal.

This scenario is different. We were at a Fuji in Bangkok some months ago. I ordered one dish, but canceled it with the waitress while she was taking my order because i saw something else that i was more in the mood for. Here is where the communication breakdown comes in. I end up getting both dishes even though I had canceled the original one. I politely told her to take back the canceled dish. She looked kind of puzzled and nervous. My wife took me aside for a second and told me that she (waitress) would probably get charged for it. Needless to say i was a little miffed since I know I canceled it, but kept both dishes and ate half of the "canceled" order. Next time i will have them read back the order before they put in, so mai bpen rai.

As far as my wife giving me the silent treatment, well sometimes that actually works in my favor. Just saying.:rolleyes:

Like GL said earlier, if its a restaurant I frequent then I will give them another chance. If not, then I won't go back again. Complaining in restaurants rarely gets you anywhere in Thailand, the owners will hide out back and I certainly won't give some 16 year old waitress an ear bashing who barely gets the minimum wage.

saving face is everything

IMHO saving face is everything. This is Thai.
If man or woman said something bad about your wife - she would want you to kill them, true ?

Luckily, from the sound of things - this was just a bad meal in a restaurant due to bad charcoal...sounds almost unbelievable as that is how bar-b-ques operate.

Basically, if there is not an owner or 'big boss' on site you will not get a proper hearing.
Does not matter if it is a restaurant or car dealership.

If their is no 'owner' on premises particularly in a restaurant your words are like air, blown in the wind.
Do not ask for a discount but you may assuredly voice your discontent.
Do not get angry nor speak loudly but just explain your dissatisfaction politely.

Now that you made the wrong choice in your 'she who must be obeyed' eyes -
Enjoy this time of silence and start reading that book you never got around to reading.
Rest assured over a period of time your wife will speak to you again.
"Darling, I need to buy..."
If she doesn't - cest la vie; you'll have more time to watch the sports channel.

Chin up John...time passes quickly.

('Just my opinion for free...so don't blame me.')

As far as the face saving goes I can't tell you how many times I have been both over charged and almost equally undercharged on a check bin. When confronted 9/10 you get this 'confused" look, and unless we are talking heeps of baht, I just let it go and most Thais do too, unless the mistake in an obvious, costly one.

3 years ago my father was in an accident, so I had to take two weeks off from work and head back to the States. I didn't have enough personal time, so I had to take some of that time as unpaid leave. my boss (who is Thai) worked out the leave form and told me that i would probably be off the books for six days. Not a problem.

When I got paid that month i realized that they never deducted anything from my check. I asked my boss if i should go to the finance office and tell them they overpaid me. She advised me to let it go unless they confronted me stating that someone might get in trouble over the mistake AKA: LOSE SOME SERIOUS FACE!
So i let it go.ThumbUp6

This has turned out to be an interesting thread with lots of good advice and opinions and related stories.

Mike, I don't particularly want to name the restaurant for, as I said in the original post, we have had many good previous experiences there. As others have recommended, we will no doubt give them another chance viewing last night's debacle as a one-off...at least for the time being.

Also, as I said in the original post, I remained friendly, smiling and quietly spoken throughout my complaint.

The wider issues raised about face, responsibility, staff penalties, learning from experience etc etc have been very interesting to read.

Incidentally, my wife is speaking to me again this morning. This time the silence was a relatively short one. So no need for me to start on War and Peace again, Coffee.

Slightly off topic -but the same vein

I took my family to Nong Nooch Pattaya a couple of years ago -somewhere I have regularly been since time immemorial, when the admission was 30bt

In recent years they have introduced double pricing with 400bt for farangs.

At the pay desk, the boy selling tickets demanded 400bt from me even though I proffered my residents permit. "If you don't like to pay you can Fcuk off" were his precise words.

Not wishng to disappoint my family I paid and we spent the morning there. At lunchtime, i went to the office to complain. The big boss came out -a Thanphuying no less - close to royalty.

She was angry, ensuring me that those living in Thailand only paid the Thai price. The boy was summoned to the office and instantly dismissed.

As well as having my entrance fees returned, my wife and I were invited to the Nong Nooch special Loy Kratong party, something which we sadly had to decline.

It always pays to complain!

I took my family to Nong Nooch Pattaya a couple of years ago -somewhere I have regularly been since time immemorial, when the admission was 30bt

At the pay desk, the boy selling tickets demanded 400bt from me even though I proffered my residents permit. "If you don't like to pay you can Fcuk off" were his precise words.

Not wishng to disappoint my family I paid and we spent the morning there. At lunchtime, i went to the office to complain. The big boss came out -a Thanphuying no less - close to royalty.

She was angry, ensuring me that those living in Thailand only paid the Thai price. The boy was summoned to the office and instantly dismissed.

As well as having my entrance fees returned, my wife and I were invited to the Nong Nooch special Loy Kratong party, something which we sadly had to decline.

Staying off topic, Nick.
Do you not know about 'the Curse of Nong Nooch'?

Although I don't believe all these conspiracy theories, I have heard from numerous sources that it is very unlucky to go there with your spouse. I have been 2 times and will never return (even though I showed my Thai DIL and got in for Thai rates!)
LMAO1 Hair_Out1LMAO1

Staying off topic, Nick.

Although I don't believe all these conspiracy theories, I have heard from numerous sources that it is very unlucky to go there with your spouse. I have been 2 times and will never return (even though I showed my Thai DIL and got in for Thai rates!)
LMAO1 Hair_Out1LMAO1
Never heard of the Nong Nooch Curse

Over 27 years I have been numerous times with an assortmen of Thai lasses - wives and others :eek:

I will make enquiries regarding the curse.

That's mad what he said to you Nick. What a horrible little shit.

Staying off topic, Nick.

LMAO1 Hair_Out1LMAO1

Come on, Ivor, next you will be telling us you believe in ghosts or that it is unlucky to have a haircut on Wednesdays.

Back