Conned !

B

billp

For the first time in 4 years I can honestly say that I have been conned . We were having problems with a leaky roof . We asked a very good friend if they knew of somebody who could fix it . As I had just bought 4 new tyres for our CRV from her , she was anxious to help and said she knew of a man who had his car serviced at her garage . He came and looked at the job and said yes he could repair it but would wait till a dry spell . Then when the rains had stopped he arrived with his men , went on to the roof , then came down and said he would need some money to buy some materials . The wife handed over 10,000 baht which I protested about but off he went and came back with about 2000 bahys worth of material . They worked all day with a great deal of noise , finished at 5pm and said he would guarantee that it would not leak . If it did , ring him and he would come straight away . The wife then gave him another 2000 baht so in effect he was paid 10000 for one days work . I protested on the quiet to the wife but she said we should wait and see . Well - its just rained very hard , the roof still leaks and the man has turned his phone off . It is very annoying but if I sound off too much , I will upset her and for that amount of money its not worth it . But S**T , S**T , S**T
:G

sorry to hear your story Bill, I suppose in Thailand money up front for materials is a must but that really goes against everything I have learnt.

Also sorry to hear that story. I am sure there will be others, but hopefully few and far between in this area.

we were lucky when we refurbed Coffee Corner. We usued a couple of people the missus knew and (with slight trepidation on my part) used near family for carpentry work.

Overall we were at least 20% UNDER budget and if anyone ripped me off within that, then they are welcome to keep it.

A very fair price for some decent quality work - exactly what we want from local 'tradesmen'.

We too have a leaky roof and despite several attempts to get the original builder to rectify matters, it still leaks.

I have been investigating a couple of farang businesses based in Pattaya or BKK that do a spray seal inside the roof space which comes with a 10 year guarantee. Saw them advertised in the BKK Post.

Unfortunately, even for our 120 square metre townhouse, that's going to cost around 70,000 baht. I'll put up with the pling into the bucket for a few years before paying that sort of money.

Anyone got any recommendations for fairly priced, reliable roof sealing in the Surin area? I would like to hear from you....as, I am sure, would BillP.

Thanks,

JohnB

I really dont understand why more falangs dont do D.I.Y, most things are not that hard to do, if you take your time , plan and read up as much as you can before you start.......give it a go...nothing to lose...
I learnt a long time ago from a very dear friend (MY DAD) as he didn`t have money to throw around, nothing is impossible.....nearly

I really dont understand why more falangs dont do D.I.Y, most things are not that hard to do, if you take your time , plan and read up as much as you can before you start.......give it a go...nothing to lose...
I learnt a long time ago from a very dear friend (MY DAD) as he didn`t have money to throw around, nothing is impossible.....nearly

I agree entirely
Too many people here let someone do the work because labour is so cheap - but most of the time they have no real idea what they are doing.

Even for jobs you cannot do it's always best to go out and buy and pay for materials yourself. Invariably saves a fortune since many village labourers will present you with inflated bills from the stores.

had a roof leak, many said they could fix, but never did, I got to looking at it, had one of guys doing work for me go up and put some silcone in some places and now now more leak....

In the past I always had a go unless it was too technical but I am afraid that at 84 years of age my climbing days are over . Also I think the major leak is where we had the house extended so is a little more complicated . Oh well -:ShitHappens1:

I would not trust those roof coating firms or their 10 year g'tees but thats just me. We had a bit of trouble with leaks when our house was about a year old and our Thai builder (& friend) fixed it. I trust this guy and he doesn't rip you off.

Alan the Builder, I'm sure, would be able to give experienced advice on this subject

(as an ex plumber, I know a bit about leaks)

So Dave, you trust this guy and he doesn't rip you off......so, don't be coy, give me his contact details please, asap.

JohnB

In the past I always had a go unless it was too technical but I am afraid that at 84 years of age my climbing days are over . Also I think the major leak is where we had the house extended so is a little more complicated . Oh well -:ShitHappens1:
Ah, i understand entirely...kudos to you , as i dont think i`ll make 84years young.....

On a side note, i used to keep koi carp in uk, and the butyl liners that you use for fish ponds are really long lasting and uv resistant, for 25 years, i dont know if butyl liners are here in LOS? but if they are , they are a superior option to the old fashioned felt roofs, and they can be bonded for large areas....have a look :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, i understand entirely...kudos to you , as i dont think i`ll make 84years young.....

On a side note, i used to keep koi carp in uk, and the butyl liners that you use for fish ponds are really long lasting and uv resistant, for 25 years, i dont know if butyl liners are here in LOS? but if they are , they are a superior option to the old fashioned felt roofs, and they can be bonded for large areas....have a look :)

There is a TV thread about pond liners here:-

Pond Liner? - Thailand Forum

It doesn't give the answer but TBWG was posting and he may be worth contacting. Otherwise a Google search of "where can I buy butyl pond liners in Thailand" may work.

These type of roofs we have are used alot in some parts of the states. difference is that we put a roof under them, and cover it with a rubber membrane and really never have a leek. we call them a 100 year roof.....

A mate of mine in Udon spent 4 million baht having his house built and the first good downpour showed up 17 leaks in his roof, the builder eventually came back with a proper roofer and fixed it there and then, as the first person he had used really wasn't a roofer.
Now my mate has a leaking swimming pool!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thai designer, architect and builder with diplomas coming out of there arses. :NoNo3: anyone can be conned.

Now my mate has a leaking swimming pool!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thai designer, architect and builder with diplomas coming out of there arses. :NoNo3: anyone can be conned.

Is it on the roof,Barry? :)

Back