Coping with packs of dogs bothering your animals and yourself

Stargazer

Surin Legend
My Thai wife and I spend October to March in Isaan with her family. She has a 2 year old grandson who lives with us during that time. I like to walk 5-10 km a day for fitness, yet find the many aggressive local dogs a safety issue. They also band together in packs and harass our water buffalo and cows. It perplexes me that local people seem to feel no responsibility for their dogs going off property and being aggressive. In America, if a dog comes off his property and attacks you, you are free to shoot it. Apparently not in Thailand.

I'm considering bringing a quality target flat band slingshot to carry on walks, to protect us and our grandson, and getting accurate with it. While it is risky/illegal to have firearms in Thailand, apparently slingshots are tolerated. With the right equipment and practice, you can deliver a stinging warning to a dog at quite a distance. 8mm steel balls seem optimal. I'd also like to have a way to break up dog packs without foolishly wading in with a staff.

One poster (not on SurinFarang) writes: "trick shooters and marksmen consider the flat band type slingshot the most accurate."

And "For street dogs that accost me when I am walking I use chrome hex nuts about 1.25 CM in my slingshot... The hollow core makes a whistle - both audible and inaudible... gets the dogs attention for sure... After a few encounters they usually just run when they see me or at least when I raise my arms as if to shoot."

Any suggestions?

shoot them
My wife says that if I run over any of the stupid mongrel dogs that lay in the middle of the street, I'll have to pay top dollar in compensation to the owners. Some of them are worth about 2 THB in my opinion, but I'm just a farang. I suppose the same applies to shot dogs :cool:

My wife says that if I run over any of the stupid mongrel dogs that lay in the middle of the street, I'll have to pay top dollar in compensation to the owners. Some of them are worth about 2 THB in my opinion, but I'm just a farang. I suppose the same applies to shot dogs :cool:

Do you own a dog ?

You can use a slingshot in Thailand. I have one.
I fully understand your situation with the dogs.
But I would not recommend shooting dogs where a Thai might see you.
Because you are a Farang. I think the dogs will all of a sudden become sacred.
When you walking I suggest a study staff and if you can find some sort of a spray.
Goodluck.
Forgot.
You can go the archery. That would be final for a dog. But you would still upset the locals.

My Thai wife and I spend October to March in Isaan with her family. She has a 2 year old grandson who lives with us during that time. I like to walk 5-10 km a day for fitness, yet find the many aggressive local dogs a safety issue. They also band together in packs and harass our water buffalo and cows. It perplexes me that local people seem to feel no responsibility for their dogs going off property and being aggressive. In America, if a dog comes off his property and attacks you, you are free to shoot it. Apparently not in Thailand.

I'm considering bringing a quality target flat band slingshot to carry on walks, to protect us and our grandson, and getting accurate with it. While it is risky/illegal to have firearms in Thailand, apparently slingshots are tolerated. With the right equipment and practice, you can deliver a stinging warning to a dog at quite a distance. 8mm steel balls seem optimal. I'd also like to have a way to break up dog packs without foolishly wading in with a staff.

One poster (not on SurinFarang) writes: "trick shooters and marksmen consider the flat band type slingshot the most accurate."

And "For street dogs that accost me when I am walking I use chrome hex nuts about 1.25 CM in my slingshot... The hollow core makes a whistle - both audible and inaudible... gets the dogs attention for sure... After a few encounters they usually just run when they see me or at least when I raise my arms as if to shoot."

Any suggestions?
A big sturdy walking stick to fend off the most aggressive, and/or one of these. The dogs hate the sound and will move away if pointed at them. Cheap enough online from Lazada, Ali Express, etc. I have both.

1690175015165.png

1690175155415.png

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa..._7Kx6aAAxV-bWwGHbRsC6AQ9aACKAB6BAgBEB4&adurl=

Same goes for if your dog kills or injures someone else's dog in the neighborhood. Had it happen to me before. I paid, less than they wanted, and told him next time buy a decent dog and not some little yapper that can't defend itself. And said I will never pay again if they can't keep their dog inside when the big dogs are out having a shit and a piss.

I bought one of those. Worked at times on the younger dogs. Did not work on older dogs whose hearing was not as good.
I want one of these that will cause some serious pain and drive them away. The free roaming street dogs are a nuisance, have no rabies shots and can carry rabies, which you do not want, and a danger to humans and 'owned' dogs/pets who have had their shots. Dogs need to be on a leash, or behind a gate in the yards. Too many soi dogs around and no one seems to give a shite about it. Until they or their pet gets bitten and mauled. Idiots.

Hi, George,
What is the Thai law re: pepper spray? You can by big bear spray cans in Alaska or Washington where we spend our summers, but cannot bring them in luggage. Even in the USA, some states don't allow them. I have not seen them available on Lazada. I have read that the little ultrasonic dog repellers don't really work.
Mel, I did a Google search of bear mace and hit the shopping queries.
I don't see any on Lazada, the one I posted was priced in baht but is of eBay. I just did the same search and see a couple more options, written in Thai but delivery dates of 14 days away. I have a friend that is a police officer, I will ask him what he knows, I have seen electric stun guns and switchblades sold openly but have no idea about there legality either. My neighbor has 7 poorly fed dogs that hunt in a pack and bark in unison at any passerby. I would love an air horn to give them a taste of their own medicine.

Mel, I did a Google search of bear mace and hit the shopping queries.
I don't see any on Lazada, the one I posted was priced in baht but is of eBay. I just did the same search and see a couple more options, written in Thai but delivery dates of 14 days away. I have a friend that is a police officer, I will ask him what he knows, I have seen electric stun guns and switchblades sold openly but have no idea about there legality either. My neighbor has 7 poorly fed dogs that hunt in a pack and bark in unison at any passerby. I would love an air horn to give them a taste of their own medicine.
Can you get that air horn on Lazada? Dog hearing is sensitive, it might bother them a lot. I'm deaf as a post, but don't want to damage 2 year old's ears. Let me know what you hear from your cop friend. I'm not sure that customs wouldn't confiscate bear spray on the way in when shipped from abroad.

Hi, George,
What is the Thai law re: pepper spray? You can by big bear spray cans in Alaska or Washington where we spend our summers, but cannot bring them in luggage. Even in the USA, some states don't allow them. I have not seen them available on Lazada. I have read that the little ultrasonic dog repellers don't really work.
They are cheap, and they are not 100% effective, but the dogs do not like them. As stated I wish they had more powerful ones of the ultrasonic dog repellers. The bear spray can't be loaded onto aircraft. Pressurized, and if they accidently went off it would be panic on the plane. The only pressurized luggage and freight area on a plane is where they store the live animals. Some of the older narrow body jets had a compressurized luggage area where the pets could be loaded, but not the jumbo jets I believe. They do have pressurized holds, but if they lose pressure it is not good for whatever is down in there.

Last edited:
They are cheap, and they are not 100% effective, but the dogs do not like them. As stated I wish they had more powerful ones of the ultrasonic dog repellers. The bear spray can't be loaded onto aircraft. Pressurized, and if they accidently went off it would be panic on the plane. The only pressurized luggage and freight area on a plane is where they store the live animals. Some of the older narrow body jets had a compressurized luggage area where the pets could be loaded, but not the jumbo jets I believe. They do have pressurized holds, but if they lose pressure it is not good for whatever is down in there.
Yeah. I have been trying without success to find a strong ultrasonic unit, which is what would do the job. Maybe it would be possible to cobble one together from components?!?

Back