Coping with packs of dogs bothering your animals and yourself

Slip the BIB a few baht to, " Remove " them.
WIsh it were that easy, Ferret! Getting rid of aggressive mongrel dogs out where we are is like squishing ants: there are always more. The headmen (haven't seen any headwomen lately) avoid the issue, and there seems to be no sense of personal responsibility about the behavior of your animals. It's dog eat dog out here.

I have been running 5 times a week for five years now, starting before sunrise. A running Farang certainly attracts attention from dogs, depending on the weather, whether they have eaten or not... All through farming villages and hamlets and I only got bitten (nipped) once, by a bitch that had puppies. I told the owner and the bitch disappeared, as did another one this year that I complained about. If you do do stuff like this you'll feel a lot better if you get a rabies injection. What do I do? I shout a lot, always take a stick trimmed into pointy points.

I have been running 5 times a week for five years now, starting before sunrise. A running Farang certainly attracts attention from dogs, depending on the weather...

I'll betcha at that hour of the cockle-doodlee-doo you probably set off each and every dog to barking even if they're behind gates. :cool:

Welcome aboard, Cooked.
How many monks (aka Saffron robes) do you pass on their morning alms walk ?

The main problems with pepper spray are how to deliver it accurately without getting too close, and avoiding leaks onto yourself (friendly fire?). We use bear spray around here, and can buy big 12 ounce spray paint size cans at REI. I carried one around in my Jeep, and eventually it leaked, which was a mess. Any delivery suggestions other than Kerry Express? ;)

I have been running 5 times a week for five years now, starting before sunrise. A running Farang certainly attracts attention from dogs, depending on the weather, whether they have eaten or not... All through farming villages and hamlets and I only got bitten (nipped) once, by a bitch that had puppies. I told the owner and the bitch disappeared, as did another one this year that I complained about. If you do do stuff like this you'll feel a lot better if you get a rabies injection. What do I do? I shout a lot, always take a stick trimmed into pointy points.
Excellent conditioning program, Cooked! I've never ran, but I walk 5-15 kilometers a day when it's not too hot (I have a elliptical trainer for 40C weather). My wife and I carry a staff as you do, and have had to do Shaolin staff battle with some big dogs intent on biting. My brother got bitten on the hand once, and got a nasty infection that was life-threatening. I have learned to use a stick strong enough that it cannot be bitten and broken easily. Too heavy, and the mass slows acceleration too much, and dogs are quick. Too light, and they will grab it. This cool season, I'll try carrying a target slingshot that can deliver a stinging 8mm steel ball pretty far, useful perhaps also if a pack is harassing your buffalo or cows. Part of the problem here is some of the houses we have to walk by have 4-5 dogs, and packs are tricky to fight. I figure if they bark from their property, that's their right. If they come out on the street or out in the rice paddy, they're deserving of a lesson. I hope I don't get a bad 'farang' reputation other than with the dogs in question.

You can go the archery. That would be final for a dog. But you would still upset the locals.

Hard to carry a bow on a walk. Are slungshot legal in Thailand? (Note, not slingshot). Illegal where I was in the US. Don't know about here. Boy Scouts we used to tie a 'Monkey's Fist' around a stone, not knowing it was a crime. You could carry that for close work.

I have a bow for the home though. Dogs were getting into my ducks and killing them. For fun.

If you don't want to terminate, you can always get blunt tips. Several styles available. They will still hurt like the dickens, but leaves them alive and skin unbroken. Stay away from the eyes/head if you desire non-lethal. I'm praying for that testicles shot.
1705547844850.png
I've sent a couple baying in pain/fear, and several others (the near misses) scurrying. As opposed to the leisure trot I was getting with the slingshot.

-sterling

Hard to carry a bow on a walk. Are slungshot legal in Thailand? (Note, not slingshot). Illegal where I was in the US. Don't know about here. Boy Scouts we used to tie a 'Monkey's Fist' around a stone, not knowing it was a crime. You could carry that for close work.

I have a bow for the home though. Dogs were getting into my ducks and killing them. For fun.

If you don't want to terminate, you can always get blunt tips. Several styles available. They will still hurt like the dickens, but leaves them alive and skin unbroken. Stay away from the eyes/head if you desire non-lethal. I'm praying for that testicles shot.
View attachment 72827
I've sent a couple baying in pain/fear, and several others (the near misses) scurrying. As opposed to the leisure trot I was getting with the slingshot.

-sterling
A slingshot is legal in Thailand.

Just found these on Lazada, so I guess they aren't illegal here.
1705918148354.pngLazada.com

A little shorter than I would like, but answers the legality question. I'm thinking DIY about 0.5 meter should do the trick.

Laws are weird. Oklahoma, USA. A state where it is perfectly legal to walk down the street packing a 9mm on your hip, open carry, without need of permit, but go to jail if they catch you carrying a shoelace with a rock tied to the end of it.

-sterling

Even with simple ammunition, the sling was surprisingly effective. Slingers could achieve faster “muzzle” velocities than archers, and their projectiles suffered less air resistance during flight than arrows, conserving more kinetic energy until impact. 1705919625846.png BTW I was deadly with this sling.

Even with simple ammunition, the sling was surprisingly effective. Slingers could achieve faster “muzzle” velocities than archers, and their projectiles suffered less air resistance during flight than arrows, conserving more kinetic energy until impact. View attachment 72929 BTW I was deadly with this sling.

I have never, ever been able to use one of those. Likely just as deadly to myself, or the guy behind me, than the target.

-sterling

I have never, ever been able to use one of those. Likely just as deadly to myself, or the guy behind me, than the target.

-sterling
Reminds me of growing up in the 70s every kid on the block wanted to be Bruce Lee. The amount of smashed heads from nunchaku was astounding. What surprises me to this day nobody actually killed themselves.

Back