Covid confirmed in Sisaket Province

3 people from my village (distantly related to my wife) are returning from Chonburi, where they worked, at this very moment. Hairdressers, and not allowed to work. They initially looked to rent somewhere but the local authorities are insisting they quarantine (ASQ) in one of the village Wats which is being used for this purpose.. No reason to suspect they are infected, but who knows!
Pattaya Mail: Pattaya's transport lockdown has unexpected results, say critics.

It is reported that police roadblocks are not manned during daylight hours and the stay at home order is widely flouted. Pattaya with it's now 1000 new Covid infections a day and and the 12 provinces that surround BKK are dark red zones and contribute over 50% of Thailand's GDP. As the country enters it's worst economic crisis since 2008 ( according to Bloomberg ) and after 7 consecutive quarters of economic decline the natural response is to circle the wagons and come home for the Isaan diaspora.

With the low rates of testing and the high rate of those being tested being positive for Covid it is safe to assume that in two to three weeks we will be awash in Delta strain infections. Rural Isaan health care facilities are for the most part rudimentary and the largest hospital in my province uses patient's family member to push gurneys and provide street food to those in their care.

Where is the Army, the well oiled, overly equipped and fed mechanism of control? Why is the obscene wealth of the one whose daily life is the subject of a nightly half hour review on the tv not being put to use to protect his " children " ?

Chonburi & Bangkok must be awash with empty hotel rooms/resorts where these people could be (maybe) accommodated.

Oh! That would mean the rich giving something back to this wonderful country that is perceived as being the centre if the universe.
Dave, is that why we chose to live here? Hmmm.

Back