DIY Fish/Chicken/Goat Feed

DailyLunatic

What minimal equipment would be required to render banana stems, food scraps, meat/fish trimmings, and low grade rice/bran down to feed pellets.

Family raises rice, and currently wife is cooking a handful of the trash stuff daily and giving to the chickens as a supplement to their normal feed. I'm getting tired of biting down on rock and sand, because she sees no reason to buy the good stuff if this is right there. Family also have bags and bags of the bran for adding bulk to the feed.

We also toss the food scraps and trimmings into a bucket. We seem to go through a lot. A lot.

We process fish, and chickens, sometimes in bulk. Which produces trimming much more than what could be eaten before spoilage. Pressure cooker for processing the fish and chicken bones. Freezer is near full as it is. Just hate the waste. Would prefer to air dry and preserve that way.

Family has a number of banana. They take the fruit, and leave the the stem to rot. I understand the stem is excellent low nutrient, high fiber, animal feed, but again, would be much more than could be eaten in one go. Goats could maybe handle it, but the chickens just sit on it, and fish ignore.

Would a pelletizer be enough? Or would I also need a chopper/grinder as well?

Does anyone here DIY their feed? I've never tried.

-sterling

Good luck with this. Coincidentally, I was chatting with a friend last night about a problem he had with neighbours' cattle stripping the fronds off his banana trees and killing them. That suggests that cattle enjoy them (in preference to other produce growing on his land) perhaps without the need for further treatment.

Good luck with this. Coincidentally, I was chatting with a friend last night about a problem he had with neighbours' cattle stripping the fronds off his banana trees and killing them. That suggests that cattle enjoy them (in preference to other produce growing on his land) perhaps without the need for further treatment.
Until we put up our fence we had the same issue. Cattle eating the juveniles down to the root.

I'd complain, neighbor would laugh, I'd build a BBQ Smoker...

I'm from Texas. We didn't eat BBQ Pork Ribs. We ate BBQ Brisket.

-sterling

Back