Does having 'yellow book' with my residence as my wife's home exempt me from 90 day reporting?

The central authority (I guess that is Thai Immigration) certified my address in order for me to obtain a yellow book to prove my address. Then I take that yellow book (which certifies my address) back to Immigration (who certified my address in the first instance) to prove my address. If I didn't have the yellow book to prove my address I could ask Thai Immigration to provide me a letter certifying my address. Does that make sense to you?
Only your last sentence is bollocks..

Certificates of residence are issued for specific purposes and for a limited duration.

A certificate of residence is a certificate issued as a requirement for eg vehicle purchases. It is not evidence of your address.

A Yellow book is a house registration document that evidences your address.

It's not complicated.

A certificate of residence is a certificate issued as a requirement for eg vehicle purchases. It is not evidence of your address.

So why is it needed to obtain a yellow book?

I never indicated that it was complicated, I suggested it was illogical (but not for Thailand).

The central authority (I guess that is Thai Immigration) certified my address in order for me to obtain a yellow book to prove my address. Then I take that yellow book (which certifies my address) back to Immigration (who certified my address in the first instance) to prove my address. If I didn't have the yellow book to prove my address I could ask Thai Immigration to provide me a letter certifying my address. Does that make sense to you?
Only your last sentence is bollocks..

Certificates of residence are issued for specific purposes and for a limited duration.
So why is it needed to obtain a yellow book?

Ask that question of the Tessaban - presumably it is there requirement.

However, in addition, for the first I put ฿500.00 behind the Berlin Bar for a round of drinks. As there was only the two of us and Frank there, I got ฿50.00 change.

C'mon Mr Yorky, a Yorkshireman splashing around the hard-earned dosh on a pissup! (My gawd...)

Was that in the good olde daze when the GBP xe THB was at 75 ?

C'mon Mr Yorky, a Yorkshireman splashing around the hard-earned dosh on a pissup! (My gawd...)

Was that in the good olde daze when the GBP xe THB was at 75 ?

Yes, or around 75.

My English marriage cost me around £25.00 which went behind the bar of my local pub for sandwiches for the guests. But that was 1972 when the Sterling was worth summat.

1666920281242.png

Yes, or around 75.

My English marriage cost me around £25.00 which went behind the bar of my local pub for sandwiches for the guests. But that was 1972 when the Sterling was worth summat.

Wow- that is a beautiful bar! Homey with fireplaces too. (At least viewed from the exterior.)

Was the flooring timber or...?

I can't remember. '85 was the last time I was in there.

Yo-yo-yo, you're slippin'.

It's very unlike you to not recall details from only 37 years ago.
Pissibly or quite possibly following a couple maybe your concise bar-memory will return. :)

(Local tip rings a bell. ;-)

Stop thinking Nomad :blush:

You think you can sign the affirmation that you are not married?

A yellow book would save me faff every 5 years, other than that I am not disadvantaged.

I don't think that the expense of a wedding justifies that ..
EXACTLY ! @CO-CO . The Thai marriage process is very rigid in the legalization process. You can not be married in any other country. Even if its the same person.
Most countries even consider it bigamy. Even if its the same person. Its a legal quagmire.

@Mel Malinowski congratulations on your new documentation. You now don't need a letter to confirm your address at Motor vehicle registry.
In the next pandemic you go to the front of the queue for a vaccine. Other then that it is worth diddly squat!

Maybe some sour grapes being squeezed on my part, because I don't have one. Did you have to provide your parents birth certificates and a letter of undieing love for your wife, all counter signed by your embassy in Bangkok. I bet you did not. But that's what they asked in just a wad of other documents at my Amphur office.

So I set out to find out and keep note of any advantage to having one. You wasted your time.

Legalized our wedding at 'The Amphur of Love' in Bangkok. Easy really. (Screw the local amphur offices.) Close by my embassy and the translator office nearby. Nice people and took a couple hours to do.

Both my Thai marriages cost me trips to Bangkok (one passing through and one specific for the affirmation). In addition to that I paid ฿50.00 each at the Amphur fot the actual marriages. However, in addition, for the first I put ฿500.00 behind the Berlin Bar for a round of drinks. As there was only the two of us and Frank there, I got ฿50.00 change.
Cheep Charly I've have put out 30,000 baht at a bar.

So I set out to find out and keep note of any advantage to having one. You wasted your time.
I imagine you're right, Rice. I appreciate the honesty. It wasn't the first time I wasted time here, and as I come to understand Thailand better, I'm SURE it won't be the last! ไม่เป็นไร. My wife tells me to get over it and not complain. Complaining is bad behavior.

I had not fully realized the degree to which my Thai wife's first and foremost, fierce loyalty is to her family. I'm learning.

I've always preferred strong women. I was married to one till death did us part, and hope this second one will last the course. Strong women make great partners if you can love them as they are rather than fight with them. It's like delegating authority as an executive: you have to choose wisely, accept that the choices will not always be what you prefer, and enjoy not having to micromanage. As a designer, one of the principles I lived by was "don't fall in love with your own ideas". Which means be willing to accept that someone else on your team can come up with a better one, and be willing to embrace it. So too with marriage.

I imagine you're right, Rice. I appreciate the honesty. It wasn't the first time I wasted time here, and as I come to understand Thailand better, I'm SURE it won't be the last! ไม่เป็นไร. My wife tells me to get over it and not complain. Complaining is bad behavior.

I had not fully realized the degree to which my Thai wife's first and foremost, fierce loyalty is to her family. I'm learning.

I've always preferred strong women. I was married to one till death did us part, and hope this second one will last the course. Strong women make great partners if you can love them as they are rather than fight with them. It's like delegating authority as an executive: you have to choose wisely, accept that the choices will not always be what you prefer, and enjoy not having to micromanage. As a designer, one of the principles I lived by was "don't fall in love with your own ideas". Which means be willing to accept that someone else on your team can come up with a better one, and be willing to embrace it. So too with marriage.
DEEP.png

"my Thai wife's first and foremost, fierce loyalty is to her family"
Which is normal here in Thai society. As long as she is even more fierce and loyal to you, her husband.
Thai women married to a westerner are under huge pressure from their family members, especially even from 'extended' family members, who believe a farang husband is rich and a possible source of easy baht/loans (which are rarely paid back).

One word of advice I give to all newly married to a Thai farangs is this, 'Learn how to say NO, politely and with a cool heart. She should be protecting you (and basically herself) from all the frivolous requests from all and sundry (it seems at times) for loans and gifts and such. Just say 'Cannot do.' And leave it at that.

There are philanthropical things you can provide that you may want to do. Many ways to help out when you can. Like helping your local school with donations of materials, NOT CASH. All sorts of things the schools could use. As well as the kids sports teams, projects around the village that help all in the village, school uniforms for the poorest students as well as the dress code type school shoes, library books, etc. There's many ways to help (and it will be appreciated) without just throwing cash at the problems (which, sadly, may well be stolen by the officials for their own private use). Corruption is rampant all over at every level. Just my advice.

"my Thai wife's first and foremost, fierce loyalty is to her family"
Which is normal here in Thai society. As long as she is even more fierce and loyal to you, her husband.
Thai women married to a westerner are under huge pressure from their family members, especially even from 'extended' family members, who believe a farang husband is rich and a possible source of easy baht/loans (which are rarely paid back).

One word of advice I give to all newly married to a Thai farangs is this, 'Learn how to say NO, politely and with a cool heart. She should be protecting you (and basically herself) from all the frivolous requests from all and sundry (it seems at times) for loans and gifts and such. Just say 'Cannot do.' And leave it at that.

There are philanthropical things you can provide that you may want to do. Many ways to help out when you can. Like helping your local school with donations of materials, NOT CASH. All sorts of things the schools could use. As well as the kids sports teams, projects around the village that help all in the village, school uniforms for the poorest students as well as the dress code type school shoes, library books, etc. There's many ways to help (and it will be appreciated) without just throwing cash at the problems (which, sadly, may well be stolen by the officials for their own private use). Corruption is rampant all over at every level. Just my advice.
I'd also add be careful of the monks. As anyone basically can become a monk, even murderers, thieves, rapists, etc, I am wary and leery of any 'requests' they make of my wife, her 'religious' mother, and our family. I am not a religious man, an agnostic atheist in fact, but saying that I also have seen and heard many instances of monks taking monies given as donations to the local wat and enriching their own families with said donations. Read the news. Happens all the time sadly enough. It happens the world over and Buddhist adherents are not immune to thievery. In fact it happens quite a lot. It happened some years ago in 'our' village as well. A couple times.

Heard today that Immigration and the police are no longer issuing Cert of Residencies ( in Ubon). My friend was instructed to........
1) get yellow book & pink ID card
Or
2) obtain it from your respective Embaddy in BKK.

Anyone heard of this????

Back