Dump trailer?

Just because I like boring the crap out of you guys. Did you notice the large module on the cabling. Did you wonder what that was? In the old days. Well not that long ago actually, wiring was just analogue just wire a battery and a globe. Now most new cars, if not all are CAN bus or derivatives of it. In short they use digital communications in some cars to switch the globes on and off and in others to just check when a bulb is blown and send an error code to the dash. That ECM or electronic control module allows interfacing to allow more load and not effect the existing circuitry. Or in some cases allow the globes to work at all.
Now you know. :)

Video NFG
To justify 'resident geek' (my old title), please advise me if you know WHY a wiring harness for a D-Max includes an ECU. In the good old days of our youth, one simply tapped into the wires at the rear tail lights, and they activated the same in trailer lights. Is this now fly by wire, not really sending power to various tail-lights, but rather a digital code?? Sounds like overkill for a pickup.

Just because I like boring the crap out of you guys. Did you notice the large module on the cabling. Did you wonder what that was? In the old days. Well not that long ago actually, wiring was just analogue just wire a battery and a globe. Now most new cars, if not all are CAN bus or derivatives of it. In short they use digital communications in some cars to switch the globes on and off and in others to just check when a bulb is blown and send an error code to the dash. That ECM or electronic control module allows interfacing to allow more load and not effect the existing circuitry. Or in some cases allow the globes to work at all.
Now you know. :)
Ah, I did not see this. It is the answer, I suppose, to my question to Nomad97. The attraction is the added functionality. In fact, it may enable them to just run one power wire to the back, and send a digital signal to control many lights. Or alternatively it may, as you say, just notify the dash of malfunctions. Ugh. Excessive complexity. Among other things in my oddball life, I was a licensed as an electrical contractor in California, and came to prefer simple systems: 'power to switch/wire to light' over complex relay controlled systems which are nearly impossible to troubleshoot. I was in Stockholm, Sweden, watching an elevator serviceman, and he grumbled that about all he could do is replace the whole elevator controller board if something malfunctioned. We benefit from mass production, and suffer the consequences. That said, I love my iPhone, iPad and Mac (when they're working) because I understand them and can troubleshoot them. I grew up a child of the computer age.

Back