Electronic starters for fluorescent lights

Yorky

Fullritis Member
To prevent Bill getting too excited about ambushing threads, I'll start one here.

About three years ago I was advised by time served electricians (one English and one Australian) that I should not replace faulty "ballasts" in my light fittings but buy completely new light fittings equipped with electronic "ballasts" which were far superior. Without going into the long drawn out discussions regarding the expense of replacing complete fittings, I had the faulty "ballast" replaced. Some 12 months later, the same said "ballast" failed again and I rang the electrician to replace it. He asked me why I didn't just replace it with an electronic starter (at a cost of Bht 10.00 more) - so I did (same light fitting).

I have today replaced all my fluorescent fittings with electronic starters (at a cost of Bht 150.00 each plus fitting) and now wonder why I didn't have it done before. None of this flickering for 2 or 3 minutes, the light comes on immediately. I'm sure there is likely to be a downside though.

To prevent Bill getting too excited about ambushing threads, I'll start one here.

About three years ago I was advised by time served electricians (one English and one Australian) that I should not replace faulty "ballasts" in my light fittings but buy completely new light fittings equipped with electronic "ballasts" which were far superior. Without going into the long drawn out discussions regarding the expense of replacing complete fittings, I had the faulty "ballast" replaced. Some 12 months later, the same said "ballast" failed again and I rang the electrician to replace it. He asked me why I didn't just replace it with an electronic starter (at a cost of Bht 10.00 more) - so I did (same light fitting).

I have today replaced all my fluorescent fittings with electronic starters (at a cost of Bht 150.00 each plus fitting) and now wonder why I didn't have it done before. None of this flickering for 2 or 3 minutes, the light comes on immediately. I'm sure there is likely to be a downside though.

Where I come from its called rapid start. has been around for at least 40 years and is the only way to go for Florissant lights. BTW there is no down side. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp

I have two round fluorescent lights at the house which flicker madly when first turned on. At times of peak electricity usage, one sometimes refuses to light up at all. Any suggestions?

Bill, I'm not an electrician but since fitting electronic starters, my round fluorescents fire up immediately. Bht 150.00 each to replace the old ballast and starters. Plus fitting, of course.

I have two round fluorescent lights at the house which flicker madly when first turned on. At times of peak electricity usage, one sometimes refuses to light up at all. Any suggestions?

They are old time to replace and if not convert to Rapid Start.

Bill, I'm not an electrician but since fitting electronic starters, my round fluorescents fire up immediately. Bht 150.00 each to replace the old ballast and starters. Plus fitting, of course.

I have also had three switches replaced (cost buttons) but they were in connection with other lights.

In my opinion you should not listen to anyone who suggests that you replace the whole light fitting. Just replace the starter mechanism (and maybe the ring - if it's buggered).

Looks as though I am about to spend 300 baht+ to solve an ongoing problem. No fitting cost as I have plenty of free 'electricians' and good fire insurance for the house!

Sometimes in Home Pro it is possible to buy the electromic ballast plus a circular 32Watt light, boxed up, cheaper than just buying the electronic ballast

I have many of the old heavy ballasts and starters available should anyone want them. Don't lkike throwing things away!

Sometimes in Home Pro it is possible to buy the electromic ballast plus a circular 32Watt light, boxed up, cheaper than just buying the electronic ballast

We didn't know that. We needed 5 electronic ballasts but only one small circular bulb (we had two in stock already). However, it's good to keep spares (Although we have 4 smaller diameter bulb lights and 2 of the larger size).

Back