English teachers (Thai National) face test. GOOD

N

nongfrank

English teachers face test

THE NATION March 2, 2015 1:00 am
THE 46,000 English-language teachers in government schools are set to undergo an international-level proficiency test - the first of its kind in nearly a decade.

It will be conducted this month and next month, Office of Basic Education Commission (OBEC) secretary-general Kamol Rodkhlai said yesterday.

The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) test was last conducted in Thailand nearly 10 years ago, and will cost almost Bt25.5 million - or Bt350 per head for the 46,682 teachers.

The test is part of an Education Ministry policy to enhance Thailand's integration into the Asean Economic Community by lifting the country's English-speaking standards, Kamol said.

This means the standard of Thailand's English-language teachers needs to be improved, which will happen after the result of the test are known, he added.

"We don't know the skill levels of Thai English-language teachers because large-scale evaluations and tests were conducted a long time ago," he said.

There are 33,811 teachers in government primary schools under 183 area offices and 12,871 teachers in secondary schools under 42 area offices.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/English-teachers-face-test-30255137.html

..... and when they fail......... what happens?

Most THAI English teachers will do okay if it is just about the written language and punctuation and such. Now if they did an oral exam on their English fluency in conversational English, 70 to 80 percent would flunk. No doubt in my mind.

There is an English teacher in my extended family. Can't string more then two words together. It is OK, Thailand has nine months left to become fully proficient in English as per the ASEAN charter. How the hell did that sneak up? bnaughty

Just as well they are not examining maths too.

"The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) test was last conducted in Thailand nearly 10 years ago, and will cost almost Bt25.5 million - or Bt350 per head for the 46,682 teachers."

When I went to school 350 x 46,682 = 16,338,700. I wonder what the other 9,161,300 was used for????

Just as well they are not examining maths too.

"The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) test was last conducted in Thailand nearly 10 years ago, and will cost almost Bt25.5 million - or Bt350 per head for the 46,682 teachers."

When I went to school 350 x 46,682 = 16,338,700. I wonder what the other 9,161,300 was used for????

In someones pocket.Crazy1

..... and when they fail......... what happens?

Nothing.. They'll sweep the whole thing under the rug like they always do... Claim the test is unfair to them and just move on.. They'll do the same thing every time they get hammered by ASEAN.. The hole just keeps getting deeper and deeper..

If the teaching of English becomes too good, the teachers won't be able to extract extra tuition fees (pocket money) for after-school and weekend classes!

Back