Flat sheets

Yorky

Fullritis Member
Flat sheets seem to have disappeared from the supermarket shelves. We've not checked Homepro yet.

[Edit: cotton]

Last edited:
Buy some crumpled ones and iron them flat! "Boom! Boom!" said Basil Brush. Maybe Makro has the plain white flat sheets of which you seek.

Ooops, sorry I didn't mention - blue. We have co-ordinated bedroom colour schemes.

I'll try them though. At a push, white would suffice.

Cheers.

[Edit: Are you a relation of Spine Millington?]

If you have to go to Bangkok the Ikea at Bagna sells them.
Not too sure about the colours we bought a pale cream one in June

I always thought fitted sheets were an excellent idea. Flat ones, which we had when I was a child, always seem to come adrift.

Out of interest, why do you prefer to have flat ones Yorky -and Colin too?

Me too. Always prefer fitted bottom sheets and no top sheets. I just like a duvet thrown over the top, a lightweight one for the summer months and a heavier one for winter.
icon7.png

Now I understand. But with washable duvet covers, which act as a sheet, you are doubling up.

The duvets are thick (therefore too heavy for summer) and are too big for the washing machine. We have to send it out for washing.

[Edit: we have two]

We had the same problem in the past and we had to send the duvets out for washing. The washing machine was not big enough to hold the duvets. But when the washing machine broke down we replaced it with a larger model. A minimum drum size of 9 or 10 kg should be big enough to wash a duvet. Time to buy a new washing machine maybe.

Nick -Strange but I just prefer a good quality flat sheet with a high thread count, they seem thicker and have a better feel than fitted sheets.
I also use a duvet cover (without the duvet) as a top sheet. For the few nights in winter when I am cold I insert a light weight duvet.

Nick -Strange but I just prefer a good quality flat sheet with a high thread count, they seem thicker and have a better feel than fitted sheets.
I also use a duvet cover (without the duvet) as a top sheet. For the few nights in winter when I am cold I insert a light weight duvet.

I know what you mean Colin. Do they not sell fitted sheets of a high quality with a high thread count?

HomePro has quite a good selection of sheets - with various thread counts. Some nice fitted sheets too with different mattress thicknesses.

Why wash the full duvet? Why not have a cover on it and just remove the cover and wash that? Save you time and money. Winner all round. For the cold months I find the electric blanket under the fitted bottom sheet works a treat. Get the one with 2 controls as the wife feels the cold more than me so can have a different heat setting for either side.

Why wash the full duvet? Why not have a cover on it and just remove the cover and wash that? Save you time and money. Winner all round. For the cold months I find the electric blanket under the fitted bottom sheet works a treat. Get the one with 2 controls as the wife feels the cold more than me so can have a different heat setting for either side.

Never had 2 controls when I was in the UK.......but that was in the last century although electricity had been invented!:smile:

Even in January/February here in Thailand, no need for an electric blanket. A hot woman works wonders in the colder months!:rolleyes:

Nice quality sheets and duvet covers available from Index (on the left, approaching Robinsons.) I bought a set including pillow cases and a comfortable separate duvet when they first opened. Very comfortable - decent thread count, good choice of colours and patterns too, and they have washed and worn very well. I bought a second set a couple of months ago and they're every bit as good. The duvets and covers have ties at each corner, with more in between, so they don't slip when in the cover, which also has a zip closure. Probably not cheap by Big C or Tesco-Lotus standards, but the sizes are more generous, and the quality is much better.

Back