Gate Wheels

Yorky

Fullritis Member
It appears that the bearings on one of the set of wheels upon which my gate runs have collapsed.

gatebearings.jpg
We've tried the metalworkers at both the tee junction (Kohplaat - 226) and the one by Salat Dai traffic lights but they don't appear to be there most of the time (and the phone is not in service). I need someone to replace the assembly because the nuts (on the opposite side) have been tack welded.

Any ideas?

Atb's got a local guy who makes all the s/s gates/fences. Good guy, an old drinking partner of mine.
Maybe he could help????
Worth a PM to Alan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears that the bearings on one of the set of wheels upon which my gate runs have collapsed.

View attachment 13998
We've tried the metalworkers at both the tee junction (Kohplaat - 226) and the one by Salat Dai traffic lights but they don't appear to be there most of the time (and the phone is not in service). I need someone to replace the assembly because the nuts (on the opposite side) have been tack welded.

Any ideas?
Yes, IQ have a range of replacement wheel assemblies, singles, doubles, steel and nylon. They also have angle grinders (so do I). Find a replacement wheel assembly with a center mounting hole, like the one you already have, drill or grind off the nut on your wheel assembly and replace with a new wheel assembly. Its a 20 minute job at most for any competent handyman. I'm free if you need a hand. Our backs have had enough humping at our age and are already done for. Therefore, keep your missus handy, we need someone to lift the gate.

I am able to lift the gate. What I cannot do is bend down for longer that 5 minutes without ending up in the same position for the following 2 days. I'll buy a couple of wheel assemblies anyway as they will be required for whoever does the work.

Thanks very much for the offer. I have a drill but not a grinder.

[Edit: Nor do I have a 25 metre extension cord]

I am able to lift the gate. What I cannot do is bend down for longer that 5 minutes without ending up in the same position for the following 2 days. I'll buy a couple of wheel assemblies anyway as they will be required for whoever does the work.

Thanks very much for the offer. I have a drill but not a grinder.

[Edit: Nor do I have a 25 metre extension cord]
I have a 30 meter extension cord too.

We can always fashion a fulcrum point ....................
fulcrum.gif

to lift the gate the easy way.

Lift the gate and place a couple of blocks under the frame. Take a couple of spanners and undo the bolts that run through the rollers. Replace the rollers lift gate and remove blocks. I did this to my gate a couple of months ago. When I replaced the bolts I greased the threads first to prevent locking.

Lift the gate and place a couple of blocks under the frame. Take a couple of spanners and undo the bolts that run through the rollers. Replace the rollers lift gate and remove blocks. I did this to my gate a couple of months ago. When I replaced the bolts I greased the threads first to prevent locking.
Night stoker - please pay attention. Yorky said, "I need someone to replace the assembly because the nuts (on the opposite side) have been tack welded." Hence the reason for the angle grinder to grind away the tack weld. By the way, where did you buy your roller assemblies?

Okay Nomad. I missed that. I bought them at a local TOA hardware. They had the rollers , bolts and assemblies. All sold separately.

Once I've bought the replacement(s) I'll try giving the tack a tap with this first. If that fails I shall take you up on your kind offer, Nomad. Thank you.

hammerchisel.jpg

Ozzie George used to call those the "skeleton key" for use whenever he locked himself out of the house/bathroom etc.

Did you get your wheels fixed Yorky? Interested in the outcome.
Its still beer o'clock round at Yorky's house and besides he is retired. All in its own good time. And, if you still want a hand then Friday is a good day to do the job - I'm home alone and available!

I've just opened the gate for my wife to take the car out and the wheel in question has miraculously un-seized itself (with the help of 3 days of WD40 application). However, when I'm next in IQ or Watsado, I'll buy two new sets just in case.

To quote Bing Crosby - "I've been working the whole day through, trying to find lots of things not to do."

I'll stand down the QRA and drop the alert state to beer o'clock - it ain't going to happen anytime soon.

Back