Gate Wheels

Yesterday, while closing the gate last night, I noticed the gate was harder to close than usual. Previously a quick squirt of WD40 had sorted the problem so I did so again this morning. Nope, still stiff so a closer examination was required. The bearing looked knackered judging by the irregular roll as the gate moved back and forth. I got down and removed the wheel from the gate and, true enough, the bearing was indeed well and truly fcuked!

DSCN1191.JPG

As luck would have it IQ had two replacement wheels left on their shelf - all the other wheels were too big for the job. Two new wheels fitted and the gate now moves very smoothly and effortlessly. Should have been done a year or more ago.

Attachments

• DSCN1187.JPG
    DSCN1187.JPG
    405.6 KB · Views: 3
Yesterday, while closing the gate last night, I noticed the gate was harder to close than usual. Previously a quick squirt of WD40 had sorted the problem so I did so again this morning. Nope, still stiff so a closer examination was required. The bearing looked knackered judging by the irregular roll as the gate moved back and forth. I got down and removed the wheel from the gate and, true enough, the bearing was indeed well and truly fcuked!

View attachment 14563

As luck would have it IQ had two replacement wheels left on their shelf - all the other wheels were too big for the job. Two new wheels fitted and the gate now moves very smoothly and effortlessly. Should have been done a year or more ago.

NM keep the old wheels and just buy new bearings and knock them in. Did you price bearings over the whole wheel assembly? But then again the whole assembly was probably cheaper then just the bearing.

I have been meaning to add to this thread the tale of building my sliding gate. The welder came with me to the steel yard in Surin where we gave them a shopping list of materials. On that list was two sets of wheels, naturally enough.
The company only supplied one set. We both went all the way back to the company where they explained .Well as you see there is two wheels in one set already. The welder and me just looked at each other in dumb amazement. That was conducted all in Thai as well. OMG!

I did look for the bearings to go inside the wheels but the available bearings were far too large. As I said, I was lucky to find the last 2 wheel assemblies with bearings fitted - 105 baht each. I also bought 2 new bolts to go through the bearings - 4 baht each. Total cost 218 baht for 2 new wheel assemblies with new retaining bolts/axles. They look better quality than the old ones too.

Well, looks like I got ripped completely.
My gate wheels shit in January and, the cunning cunts had fitted the bearings in such a manner, replacing them wasn't possible without a lathe.
We went to a shop in Sangkha where my wife was quoted 999 thb per set.
I initially said f**k that but thought, I need wheels, Stainless ones as well.

Well, looks like I got ripped completely.
My gate wheels shit in January and, the cunning cunts had fitted the bearings in such a manner, replacing them wasn't possible without a lathe.
We went to a shop in Sangkha where my wife was quoted 999 thb per set.
I initially said f**k that but thought, I need wheels, Stainless ones as well.
Well and truly shafted my friend. For the record, IQ Modern Trade carry quite a good range of replacement bearings and also the complete assembly with bearings already fitted. Different materials too. Prices are very reasonable, many cheaper than what I paid for mine, others slightly more expensive. Mine are 2 1/2 inch diameter and were the last on the shelf. There were lots of larger diameter wheels, 3 inch diameter and upwards. At a push I could fit the 3 inch diameter wheels although that would push out of alignment the holes for locking the gate with a padlock.

Back