HOT POT RESTAURANT

Prakhonchai Nick

You chose a custom title
Hot Pot restaurants are a chain throughout Thailand. I am writing about the Buriram one, but I am sure this report applies equally to Surin.

Enticed in with my family with a large poster in the window showing buffet at 359bt/person Expensive, but our usual neighbouring shabuu eatery in Robinsons at 199bt has been shut due to the presence of mice

On paying the bill we were charged 399bt/person - the prominent advertised price only being for those that could show Covid vaccine certificates! WTF! We were further charged an extra 50bt for a top up of soup..........4 people consume somewhat more than 1, who would have been provided with a similar quantity at the outset.

I have complained to the parent company, but my expectations of an acceptable response -if any reply at all- are minimal.

BEWARE if any of you go to HOT POT!

Last time I visited Hot Shit in Lobison Surin was 8 years back and made me sick. The can get F. ;;victory;;

Many years since I visited the Hot Pot in Robinson's. Only went once. Not my style to stuff your face until you drop and 349 baht/head is relatively expensive. I know my Thai relatives enjoy that kind of thing, especially as I am usually expected to pay for the treat. A few years back, my Thai brother-in-law turned up unannounced, with half the village in tow. He had promised them a big nosh up in Hot Pot. Boy! Did he get a shock? I said not for me thank you and promptly left the gathering. He was left to pay the bill! :):):)

Hot Pot restaurants are a chain throughout Thailand. I am writing about the Buriram one, but I am sure this report applies equally to Surin.

Enticed in with my family with a large poster in the window showing buffet at 359bt/person Expensive, but our usual neighbouring shabuu eatery in Robinsons at 199bt has been shut due to the presence of mice

On paying the bill we were charged 399bt/person - the prominent advertised price only being for those that could show Covid vaccine certificates! WTF! We were further charged an extra 50bt for a top up of soup..........4 people consume somewhat more than 1, who would have been provided with a similar quantity at the outset.

I have complained to the parent company, but my expectations of an acceptable response -if any reply at all- are minimal.

I went a couple of times to a Hot Pot restaurant on the left side of the eastern entrance to Surin Plaza. Whether that was/is the same chain I do not know but it was almost 20 years ago. Why I went a second time I do not know but suffice to say I haven't been since.

Used to love the Hot Pot in Surin Plaza. Was a great place. Good foods, staff and service. Went there plenty of times over the years. Since they closed and moved it seems they are ALL buffet places now. Don't use them any more. I do use the MK once in a while at Big C.

Did they not refer to the Hot Pot places as Korean Barbecues back then? I remember there were a couple of open sided places in town around 2003; one near the snooker joint north of Thong Tarin on the right hand side of Sirirat Road.

Did they not refer to the Hot Pot places as Korean Barbecues back then? I remember there were a couple of open sided places in town around 2003; one near the snooker joint north of Thong Tarin on the right hand side of Sirirat Road.
The Korean BBQ places are called Ah EE. One by the lights by the schools, used to also be one near the Ford dealership by the pond next to the temple. Roofed with open sides. Cheap BBQ foods. Mainly pork and squid with vegetables with charcoal pot under the tables. Hot pot had more choices on the menu and electric hot plates. Same concept but enclosed with air con and way more choices available.

The Korean BBQ places are called Ah EE. One by the lights by the schools, used to also be one near the Ford dealership by the pond next to the temple. Roofed with open sides. Cheap BBQ foods. Mainly pork and squid with vegetables with charcoal pot under the tables. Hot pot had more choices on the menu and electric hot plates. Same concept but enclosed with air con and way more choices available.

It's all coming back to me now.

Yes, there was a difference in the cooking method.

They also call the Thai version Mu Kratha. Mu kratha means 'pan/skillet pork' in Thai. Mu kratha resembles a combination of Korean BBQ and a Chinese hot pot.
I don't like all three. If I have to cook my self I will do it at home. I note folk get great enjoyment out of it. Not me I am afraid. I think I need to insert "Bah Humbug" here. :)

They also call the Thai version Mu Kratha. Mu kratha means 'pan/skillet pork' in Thai. Mu kratha resembles a combination of Korean BBQ and a Chinese hot pot.
I don't like all three. If I have to cook my self I will do it at home. I note folk get great enjoyment out of it. Not me I am afraid. I think I need to insert "Bah Humbug" here. :)

Bah humbug +1.....hate it.

My wife once ordered a Korean from that outlet (maybe). The food and the charcoal pot (already lit and very hot) was delivered on a motor scooter. We left the "used" pot outside the gate and it was collected next morning.

However, it may have been delivered from that restaurant which used to be to the east of Big 'C'; it was a long time ago.

[Edit: The last time I was in that restaurant must have been over 10 years ago. I remember that there were four girls promoting "Spy" wine. One of the few times that I didn't have my camera with me. And there was a couple of crackers.]

Last edited:
Back