How to get a death certificate in Thailand

Stargazer

Surin Legend
I'm updating my trust details, and the question has come up as to what happens if I happen to die in Thailand (good outcome to be hoped for), how can my Thai wife obtain a death certificate, which is required for my successor trustee to access my bank accounts in USA in order to settle the trust.

Anyone have experience with this? Of course, it then probably would be necessary to get an official translation, stamped and legalized which probably can only be done in Bangkok. Ugh. God forbid I should die while traveling in Bhutan or even more murky, on an airplane over international waters.

We have a K-Bank account which has my wife listed as beneficiary. She doesn't trust them to give her the cash, but we can't keep that much under the mattress.

I'd appreciate any comments anyone has on the complexities of dying in Thailand. Can my wife just have me cremated in our local temple like everybody else?

Lest you worry, I expect this is about 20-25 years ahead if I'm lucky. But I believe in planning ahead.

I'm updating my trust details, and the question has come up as to what happens if I happen to die in Thailand (good outcome to be hoped for), how can my Thai wife obtain a death certificate, which is required for my successor trustee to access my bank accounts in USA in order to settle the trust.

Anyone have experience with this? Of course, it then probably would be necessary to get an official translation, stamped and legalized which probably can only be done in Bangkok. Ugh. God forbid I should die while traveling in Bhutan or even more murky, on an airplane over international waters.

We have a K-Bank account which has my wife listed as beneficiary. She doesn't trust them to give her the cash, but we can't keep that much under the mattress.

I'd appreciate any comments anyone has on the complexities of dying in Thailand. Can my wife just have me cremated in our local temple like everybody else?

Lest you worry, I expect this is about 20-25 years ahead if I'm lucky. But I believe in planning ahead.

Talk to Nick or Co Co

Death certificates can obtained from the local amour. Your wife (widow), as next of kin, will control the funeral arrangements. Not sure about Americans but for Brits, the British Embassy approval is required to remove the deceased from hospital for cremation.

A Thai Will would no doubt cover your cremation wishes and can be used as a backup in the event of the bank being difficult.

Remember that, always, marriage invalidates any prior Will.

Thanks, Co-co. Better to die at home maybe My wife thinks that all you need is approval of village headmaster to 'burn' you. (not true in USA. Die other than at a hospital, an autopsy is mandatory) Having a Thai will may be a good idea. Our marriage is in USA only. I'm trying to keep things simple by having everything in Thailand belong solely to my wife, and everything in USA solely to me.

Not contradictory. The USA strongly discourages citizens from marrying abroad without their permission. So we waited 7 months for a 'fiancee visa', went to USA and married there AFTER signing a prenuptial agreement that cleanly and legally keeps our property separate. That means my wife does not get 'community property' interest in the property and money I had prior to marriage, nor appreciation to it after. Everything in Thailand (land, our house, our cars, tractor, etc.) belongs solely to my wife. All my property is in trust in USA, subject only to USA law. In order to avoid Thai complications, we have not also married in Thailand. Next year, my wife will apply for US citizenship, so she'll have both Thai and US passports, making travel easier. I'm making sure that she has ample money to live on after I die. She intends to live only in Thailand after I die. What I'm working on is making sure all this goes smoothly as intended.

As CO-CO said above. it will be the amphur that issues the death certificate. They will require a document from either a doctor (should you die at home or elsewhere) or a hospital ahould you die there, effectively confirming your death and showing the cause.

Since banks , insurance companies and anyone holding money./assets normally require a sight of the original death certificate (albeit in Thai script) your wife should request as many official copies as may be needed.

A translation will be required, with certification. Sometimes Lawyer or Notary certification is required, but on occasions the Bangkok Embassy must certify. This can more often than not be done by post.

Translations will also be required of beneficiary documents, - usually birth and marriage certificates and Thai ID as proof of address. -also to be certified

Finally when it comes to making payment to beneficiaries in Thailand, an up to date bank statement showing name./address and certified is also usually needed

Back