I am selling my restaurant in Surin.

The Covid issue was much bigger in the West - and I saw evidence of the post Covid recovery period where businesses were under resourced as demand started to pickup. That is less likely to happen in a rural Thai town/city - although last January Chiang Mai was certainly showing those symptoms as were tourist dependent places like Khao Lak. Siem Reap was decimated.

Pattaya was interesting. In many parts (especially the popular soi Buakhao, soi 6/8 areas etc) it is like nothing ever happened - yet I remember going to Bua Barbers in soi Buakhao 2 years ago when it was a ghost town and I tipped 100 Baht just to try help her survive. Now the area is booming.

Most half decent places survived or reinvented themselves. Many didn't but a lot of the Thai owned places survived and many were renovated during the 'downtime'. The same with labour; Thais can survive on very little and (as a Thai citizen said during Covid) "no Thai will die of starvation". We should perhaps not be surprised how quickly entertainment establishments can restock with girls!
"Pattaya was interesting. In many parts (especially the popular soi Buakhao, soi 6/8 areas etc) it is like nothing ever happened - yet I remember going to Bua Barbers in soi Buakhao 2 years ago when it was a ghost town and I tipped 100 Baht just to try help her survive. Now the area is booming."

It looked to me like certain places moved to where the farang expats hung around. Last there I saw vast areas of beer bar complexes closed up and not looking to re-open any time soon. How is that now? Are they starting to re-open those places that seemed to be everywhere at one time? Or is it just certain areas that are doing business these days?

Yes, I noticed that too but my conclusion is that humans (Thais particularly are lazy and creatures of habit). When 7/11 will deliver anything over 100 Baht the roads are going to get clogged up with delivery motocys.

I bought 12 things via Lazada in the last week. I don't think I bought 12 things through them in my first 12 years here!
@CO-CO Yup. Why take the time and effort (not only that but the gas and trying to find parking) to go out when for a few baht more you can just sit home and have everything delivered to your doorstep in a fairly reasonable amount of time.
I noticed when back in the states recently many people just order their food shopping on line and have it delivered right to their door. No more going out to do the weekly shopping for supplies. And no need for cash, as everything is done on credit cards and/or debit card. It looked to me that no one uses cash much there. It felt weird to me as I always use cash. No need to give the banks more of my money in interest or fees. Seems it is going that way to me.

Last edited:
"Pattaya was interesting. In many parts (especially the popular soi Buakhao, soi 6/8 areas etc) it is like nothing ever happened - yet I remember going to Bua Barbers in soi Buakhao 2 years ago when it was a ghost town and I tipped 100 Baht just to try help her survive. Now the area is booming."

It looked to me like certain places moved to where the farang expats hung around. Last there I saw vast areas of beer bar complexes closed up and not looking to re-open any time soon. How is that now? Are they starting to re-open those places that seemed to be everywhere at one time? Or is it just certain areas that are doing business these days?

Many have reopened especially in those popular areas mentioned.... Made in Thailand was redeveloped apparently but I have not been down there. Pattaya New Plaza was heaving in all the traditional bars. I hope some of the cow shed areas failed - even before Covid they were dying from over-supply.

Interesting are the new areas like Treetown which is very popular and was quite busy even during Covid time.

You mention expats and some of those certainly supported local bars - but now we are seeing a big increase in tourist/snowbird numbers.

Many have reopened especially in those popular areas mentioned.... Made in Thailand was redeveloped apparently but I have not been down there. Pattaya New Plaza was heaving in all the traditional bars. I hope some of the cow shed areas failed - even before Covid they were dying from over-supply.

Interesting are the new areas like Treetown which is very popular and was quite busy even during Covid time.

You mention expats and some of those certainly supported local bars - but now we are seeing a big increase in tourist/snowbird numbers.
"I hope some of the cow shed areas failed - even before Covid they were dying from over-supply."

Very true that. Way too many all looking for the same customers. You could sit in one of those beer bars all day and be the only customer. Been there and done that with a friend or two basically helping pay the staff and rent for the day. :)

@CO-CO Yeah. I mention expats as at one point during the Covid they were basically the only ones out and about with no tourists and snow birds about. I always enjoyed Soi Buakhao and used to use a hotel in that area when in Patts many years ago. There were some good bars and restaurants even before Covid in that area.

Yeah. I mention expats as at one point during the Covid they were basically the only ones out and about with no tourists and snow birds about. I always enjoyed Soi Buakhao and used to use a hotel in that area when in Patts many years ago. There were some good bars and restaurants even before Covid in that area.

Took me a few years to discover it but I rarely cross Second Road now.

Took me a few years to discover it but I rarely cross Second Road now.
@CO-CO What is it? LK Metro? There used to be a good pizza joint there right across from one of the better gogos I liked a lot. And the soi that runs by there that goes down to second road that had some good bars and restaurants. Back then sort of off the beaten path except by the local expats and tourists in the know of the area.
There was also a hotel and restaurant stuck in the corner there that did a great English breakfast and run by an Irishman.

@CO-CO What is it? LK Metro? There used to be a good pizza joint there right across from one of the better gogos I liked a lot. And the soi that runs by there that goes down to second road that had some good bars and restaurants. Back then sort of off the beaten path except by the local expats and tourists in the know of the area.

LK Metro is OK for music and louder bars. I hate places like the badly named Wonderful Bar on Second Road and prefer the variety of bars in the sois that ping of Buakhao.

I think Bronx Pizza is just opposite the entrance to LK Metro.

Loads of kebab, burger, hot dog, chow mein, fish and chip stall around there - which is a must have after a skin full of beer.....

There is nice little Belgian stall on soi Lengkee very nice mussels in white wine with frites, 199 Baht.

Speaking of online sales. I have noticed in recent weeks many staffers at Makro going round with lists, and filling trolleys with online orders, which are then parked close to check outs for later checking out, causing a right clusterfuck!

Speaking of online sales. I have noticed in recent weeks many staffers at Makro going round with lists, and filling trolleys with online orders, which are then parked close to check outs for later checking out, causing a right clusterfuck!

Same in 7/11 (who now do hot food) down here.

8 staff .... 2 on the counters, 2 stood on the hot counter and 4 mooching around filling baskets for delivery.

The Covid issue was much bigger in the West - and I saw evidence of the post Covid recovery period where businesses were under resourced as demand started to pickup. That is less likely to happen in a rural Thai town/city - although last January Chiang Mai was certainly showing those symptoms as were tourist dependent places like Khao Lak. Siem Reap was decimated.

Pattaya was interesting. In many parts (especially the popular soi Buakhao, soi 6/8 areas etc) it is like nothing ever happened - yet I remember going to Bua Barbers in soi Buakhao 2 years ago when it was a ghost town and I tipped 100 Baht just to try help her survive. Now the area is booming.

Most half decent places survived or reinvented themselves. Many didn't but a lot of the Thai owned places survived and many were renovated during the 'downtime'. The same with labour; Thais can survive on very little and (as a Thai citizen said during Covid) "no Thai will die of starvation". We should perhaps not be surprised how quickly entertainment establishments can restock with girls!
I'm not sure if the Girlie 'stock' has been replaced with further young beautiful girls rather than older/frumpy ones. Maybe, I went to the wrong places????

I'm not sure if the Girlie 'stock' has been replaced with further young beautiful girls rather than older/frumpy ones. Maybe, I went to the wrong places????

I didn't suggest that was the case - I just said they quickly restocked.

Of course you go to the wrong places; I understand you need the hiso places for platinum crumpet.

Back