immigration visit.

Ryans Resort

Forum Sponsor
Had a visit by immigration yesterday at Ryan's Resort five people spent nearly two and a half hours checking company paperwork, visas, passports of myself, family, staff and customers they had previously visited four more resorts in Prasat area. We got fined 3600 baht for having a foreigner on the premises with no passport and also failure to change over one company paper from Patts to Surin. The Immigration people were very helpful though in also advising myself and my wife of new laws regarding foreigners staying in Thailand and offering help if we did not understand anything. They also stressed that the whole idea is to stop foreigners who have problems in their own country or on overstay hiding out in Thailand, so please to all concerned carry passports or keep hiding they are on the prowl!

Had a visit by immigration yesterday at Ryan's Resort five people spent nearly two and a half hours checking company paperwork, visas, passports of myself, family, staff and customers they had previously visited four more resorts in Prasat area. We got fined 3600 baht for having a foreigner on the premises with no passport and also failure to change over one company paper from Patts to Surin. The Immigration people were very helpful though in also advising myself and my wife of new laws regarding foreigners staying in Thailand and offering help if we did not understand anything. They also stressed that the whole idea is to stop foreigners who have problems in their own country or on overstay hiding out in Thailand, so please to all concerned carry passports or keep hiding they are on the prowl!

Sorry to hear you got hassled. But i would like to see them try and fine a regular Thai business for having a foreigner on the premises with no Passport. I would like to see how that would go down.
Or was the customer staying in the accommodation? Then i would suppose the usual hotel rules would apply..

Last edited by a moderator:
Good report Gary.

Intrigued to know how a foreigner would not have a passport ?

I guess the law states that a resort/hotel must copy a foreign guest's passport ?

Good report Gary.

I guess the law states that a resort/hotel must copy a foreign guest's passport ?

and legally the resort has 24 hours by law to report his present to the authorities.

Last edited:
I know that the law states that a foreigner must carry a passport at all times. In reality we know that this is a bit restrictive. Does a copy of the relative data from the passport suffice. How many members here carry their passport on their person at ALL times. I know I don't. In the last twenty years I have only ever been asked to produce my passport on the spot. That was during the last coup, during a police stop at Baan Kruat of all places.

Also what happens in the case that GL states "legally the resort has 24 hours by law to report his presence to the authorities."
Everywhere I go with my wife she checks in. On the check in form she writes Mr and Mrs Smith. On paper it does not state if I am a farang or Thai.
How can a Hotel/resort report that. They never view my passport only view her ID.

Last edited:
I know that the law states that a foreigner must carry a passport at all times. In reality we know that this is a bit restrictive. Does a copy of the relative data from the passport suffice. How many members here carry their passport on their person at ALL times. I know I don't. In the last twenty years I have only ever been asked to produce my passport on the spot. That was during the last coup, during a police stop at Baan Kruat of all places.

Interesting one this.

There was a debate going on on Thai Visa because someone claimed it was not LAW and nobody could provide the civil code reference. I wrote to HMPO in the UK to ask the question and got a wishy-washy answer.

Someone else argued that only immigration have the right to see your passport.

At the end of the day I would not argue with the police or immigration if they asked for it. On journeys of any distance (with a stop over) I will have my passport with me.

Good report Gary.

3 SF members stayed in a Lamduan resort last Saturday night. There were no forms to be filled in at check in, no passports asked for nor names of guests

And whilst the original booking was made in my name and I had my passport with me (albeit with no TM6), I somehow doubt the other 2 were carrying their passports!

3 SF members stayed in a Lamduan resort last Saturday night. There were no forms to be filled in at check in, no passports asked for nor names of guests

And whilst the original booking was made in my name and I had my passport with me (albeit with no TM6), I somehow doubt the other 2 were carrying their passports!

I had mine - see above post re my criteria for carrying it with me.

Good report Gary.

I have found that most hotels will accept a Thai driving licence in lieu of a passport, whilst many hotels require only one passport for a group booking of foreigners.

CO-CO States" There was a debate going on on Thai Visa because someone claimed it was not LAW and nobody could provide the civil code reference. I wrote to HMPO in the UK to ask the question and got a wishy-washy answer."

On the UK and other country travel advisory sites it states. "By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport on request. Make sure you complete the next of kin details section in the back of your passport."

That was lifted from https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/local-laws-and-customs

If it is not in law it is the best urban myth ever.
My guess it must be, It would of been debunked years ago surely.

Phuket immigration warns of drive on foreign stay reports

PHUKET: The Immigration Police have urged all hotels, resorts, and other accommodation providers, including owners of villas for rent, must begin reporting details of foreigners staying with them by the end of April, or face prosecution.

Nattha Thepbamrung
Friday 29 March 2013, 06:05PM

image.php

Capt Angkhan Yasanop (foreground) and colleagues visit a small hotel to explain the system – and the law – to front desk staff.
Capt Angkhan Yasanop (foreground) and colleagues visit a small hotel to explain the system – and the law – to front desk staff.
Capt Angkhan Yasanop confirmed that this includes owners of private homes when they have foreign friends or relatives staying with them, whether they pay for accommodation or not.

“It is the law that the owner of a residence or a hotel manager who has foreign guests staying must report to the local Immigration Office within 24 hours. It is also Royal Thai Police policy to enforce this,” Capt Angkhan said.

“We are trying to publicise this before we begin doing random checks.

“This campaign will help in locating foreigners in Phuket. At the moment, whenever we have to contact them [for example missing person cases] it is hard to find them, so this will be useful.

“Also, it is convenient for everyone – the owner or manager, the Immigration Police and other relevant departments – to check the basic information on each foreigner visiting the island. If someone is living here illegally or has a criminal record, we can find out more easily.”

The random-check team, led by Pol Col Sanchai Chokkayaikij, Superintendent of Phuket Immigration, will start checking accommodation from the end of next month. If they find owners or managers breaking the law, “they will prosecute strictly”, Capt Angkhan said.

Owners or managers can report in three ways: By going to the Phuket Immigration Office on Phuket Rd, Phuket Town (near Saphan Hin), by mail to the Immigration office at 482 Phuket Rd, Tambon Talad Yai, Muang, Phuket 83000; or by making an online (for businesses only).

Note that for online reports, the owner or manager, must first register by going to the Immigration Office. Only then will a user name and password be issued for making online reports. Details of this process may be seen by visiting the Immigration website and clicking on “Notification of residence for foreigners”.

The penalty for failing to report is B8,000 per guest per day.

- See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket...n-stay-reports-38280.php#sthash.DyhlB2kJ.dpuf

You posts are becoming almost as difficult to decipher as Coffee's.

KCI presumably means Kap Choeng immigration. Sunday roast - where . M&D coffee?

Try and keep up Nick :smile:

KCI is a long standing acronym for Kap Choeng Immigration and has been used in posts for several years.

Ryans Resort Sunday roast - the thread was started by Gary about a KCI visit to Ryans...

KCI is a long standing acronym for Kap Choeng Immigration and has been used in posts for several years.

Ryans Resort Sunday roast - the thread was started by Gary about a KCI visit to Ryans...

Nick has never been the brightest bulb in the string.shrug1

The thread was started about an immigration visit to Ryans Resort YESTERDAY...(Monday). I see no reference to a Sunday Roast other than by GL - hence my question as to whether he had started sunday roasts.

The thread was started about an immigration visit to Ryans Resort YESTERDAY...(Monday). I see no reference to a Sunday Roast other than by GL - hence my question as to whether he had started sunday roasts.

As it was said stay up HE HAS ALWAYS HAD A SUNDAY ROAST. Hair_Out1

GL, How much are your Roasts at MD coffee?

And do you do Roast Lamb?

As it was said stay up HE HAS ALWAYS HAD A SUNDAY ROAST. Hair_Out1

Sorry to labour this GL, but where in this thread does it say " HE HAS ALWAYS HAD A SUNDAY ROAST.". other than your preceeding post....It does not.

Yes I know Gary has a regular Sunday Roast, I have been there and enjoyed it - but your original post rather leaves it open to the possibility that M&D had started Sunday Roasts (USA style)

This thread is based upon events which occurred yesterday -not Sunday.

I rest my case!

Pity the immigration people did not show up on Sunday - a nice free roast may have avoided the fine!

Back