June weather

C

Coffee

With a tropical savannah climate Surin's historical month of June high daytime temp is 33 with nights dropping to 25 and 204mm rain for the month. That's historical data.

This coming week's high daytime temps are expected in the 37 - 39C range with + 30% humidity. (One site posted 40C.)
The next 7 - 10 days may get a tad uncomfortable outdoors or in without the comfort of A/C.

I don't recall June in Surin being so warm.

What are you doing to deal with this spate of rather sticky weather that makes every afternoon feel + 40C ?

[How many hours can one tread water ?]

What are you doing to [do to] deal with this spate of rather sticky weather that makes every afternoon feel + 40C ?

I reckon I'll probably sit on the stoep and neck a few Archas (Bilge from the Gods).

Holding off from returning to Surin. Pattaya is very hot, too, but not as bad as Surin. Also, one can more easily escape the heat of day and 'surface' after the sun goes down. Nice sea breeze (from whence the name "Pattaya" is derived), but still gets very muggy later at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a tropical savannah climate Surin's historical month of June high daytime temp is 33 with nights dropping to 25 and 204mm rain for the month. That's historical data.

This coming week's high daytime temps are expected in the 37 - 39C range with + 30% humidity. (One site posted 40C.)
The next 7 - 10 days may get a tad uncomfortable outdoors or in without the comfort of A/C.

I don't recall June in Surin being so warm.

What are you doing to deal with this spate of rather sticky weather that makes every afternoon feel + 40C ?

[How many hours can one tread water ?]

I agree in part with your comments or, as a famous British comedy might say, "It ain't half hot mum". What I do not agree with is the bit where you say, "next 7 - 10 days may get a tad uncomfortable outdoors." As far as I am concerned its been very uncomfortable outdoors for the past month or more. Surprisingly, the town's water supply is holding up very well this year. In previous years when there has been little rain we have lost all water pressure during the day.

Finally, can you explain your use of the term "with + 30% humidity." My hygrometer shows a relative humidity of 100% most mornings and only falls with the drying aspect of the air conditioning system. I am aware there are 2 other types of humidity, absolute and specific, but your expression has lost me. For those who wish to know more about specific humidity the following formula should help:

Specific Humidity is defined as:

77f731532a0820a02f100283ac7a2ed4.png

Specific humidity can be expressed in other ways including:

520d62a7da601d7687c19f2c63107e27.png
3d1ef00796e0cd64d7b1311ba30dca5b.png

or:

1dbefac79dd2df9f5796f7c9f2e91ce8.png

Using this definition of specific humidity, the relative humidity can be expressed as

cb19c26eb7a5a4c9ef060857ccb1e65e.png

LOL!

Last edited:
Holding off from returning to Surin. Pattaya is very hot, too, but not as bad as Surin. Also, one can more easily escape the heat of day and 'surface' after the sun goes down. Nice sea breeze (from whence the name "Pattaya" is derived), but still gets very muggy later at night.

Be careful! Just seen the short-term weather forecast on Ch 3 - bad weather coming your way in a couple of days time. Stay dry.

That's a bit too scientific for me, Nomad. I got hot just trying to read the formula!

Be careful! Just seen the short-term weather forecast on Ch 3 - bad weather coming your way in a couple of days time. Stay dry.

If it rains, I will probably go outside and jump for joy while I am getting wet!

I agree in part with your comments or, as a famous British comedy might say, "It ain't half hot mum". What I do not agree with is the bit where you say, "next 7 - 10 days may get a tad uncomfortable outdoors." As far as I am concerned its been very uncomfortable outdoors for the past month or more. Surprisingly, the town's water supply is holding up very well this year. In previous years when there has been little rain we have lost all water pressure during the day.

Finally, can you explain your use of the term "with + 30% humidity." My hygrometer shows a relative humidity of 100% most mornings and only falls with the drying aspect of the air conditioning system. I am aware there are 2 other types of humidity, absolute and specific, but your expression has lost me. For those who wish to know more about specific humidity the following formula should help:

Specific Humidity is defined as:

77f731532a0820a02f100283ac7a2ed4.png

Specific humidity can be expressed in other ways including:

520d62a7da601d7687c19f2c63107e27.png
3d1ef00796e0cd64d7b1311ba30dca5b.png

or:

1dbefac79dd2df9f5796f7c9f2e91ce8.png

Using this definition of specific humidity, the relative humidity can be expressed as

cb19c26eb7a5a4c9ef060857ccb1e65e.png

LOL!

While your formula is quite accurate it is only for the amount of water vapour in the air to the amount of dry air in the area. Used in a lab environment.

The type of humidity that meteorologists use is the amount of water vapour in the area as opposed to how much water vapour could be in the area. This type of humidity is basically a ratio of the absolute humidity and the potential amount of water saturation that the air could possibly hold.

That formula must take into account air pressure vapour for the amount of moister in the atmosphere that can hold before instantaneous condensation occurs on a catalyst.

You started it NM. T.I.C.

Absolute humidity is often just referred to as the humidity.
+ 30% means higher than 30% as the actual amount of water vapor in a sample of air.

Nomad , I do understand how one could become easily confused particularly here.

While your formula is quite accurate it is only for the amount of water vapour in the air to the amount of dry air in the area. Used in a lab environment.

The type of humidity that meteorologists use is the amount of water vapour in the area as opposed to how much water vapour could be in the area. This type of humidity is basically a ratio of the absolute humidity and the potential amount of water saturation that the air could possibly hold.

That formula must take into account air pressure vapour for the amount of moister in the atmosphere that can hold before instantaneous condensation occurs on a catalyst.

You started it NM. T.I.C.

Yea, but I wus only taking the mickey! LOL

Yea, but I wus only taking the mickey! LOL

I knew that NM. I just could not stay quiet after seeing a formula close to my heart. Bye the way what type of Hygrometer do you have.

Is it a old human hair tension type or the less accurate chemical salt strip type?

Useless information of the day.

Human hair has an almost a perfect linear expansion coefficient set against relative humidity.
[YT]s9XjORqJkJI[/YT]

I knew that NM. I just could not stay quiet after seeing a formula close to my heart. Bye the way what type of Hygrometer do you have.

Is it a old human hair tension type or the less accurate chemical salt strip type?

Useless information of the day.

Human hair has an almost a perfect linear expansion coefficient set against relative humidity.
[YT]s9XjORqJkJI[/YT]

Thanks Rice, very interesting. That's a nice little project for my two daughters - make a human hair hygrometer. Mine is a coiled spring variety (maybe silver) and incorporated in an early battery presentation clock, with thermometer, and I have had for at least 15 if not 20 odd years. Keeps excellent time too, within a few seconds each year.

Something like:

Silver-Hygrometer-6.jpg

Thanks Rice, very interesting. That's a nice little project for my two daughters - make a human hair hygrometer. Mine is a coiled spring variety (maybe silver) and incorporated in an early battery presentation clock, with thermometer, and I have had for at least 15 if not 20 odd years. Keeps excellent time too, within a few seconds each year.
Something like:

View attachment 11370

That looks like a converted Leo bottle top to me, Nomad.

Good morning you miserable lot. Taking the piss out of Nomad you should be ashamed of yourselves. That was a stock photo from the internet to show you the spring mechanism of a hygrometer.

For the record, and historical accuracy, my old clock like like this:

hygrometer3.jpg

and the hygrometer spring looks like this:

hygrometer2.jpg

And for Coffee's information the humidity is nearly 100% (not 30%).

Are you stating that a hygrometer measures Absolute Humidity ?
You are measuring Relative Humidity, Nomad. Get over it, lad.

Recently you've been losing points...maybe never venturing out of Thailand for the past twelve years has certain residual effects on some expats.

Possibly attributed to LVFC...buttshakeDon't worry as "You'll never walk alone"...particularly here.

Back