Just how poor is Surin ?

It happens, Nomad. I was sent to RAF Changi for my National Service in 1956-7, and my one thought after I finished my degree was to get back to Malaya. I came back in 1961, and after a couple of months in Singapore, was sent to Kuching. My assistant was a Sea Dyak, my best friend there was last heard of running an ashram somewhere in Australia, and I learnt a very rustic dialect of Malay. This came to an end too soon, as there was a crisis in Kuala Lumpur, where my friends included one Bartholomew Diaz, a name from Portuguese history, and Gathorne, Lord Medway, who lived by a jungle river looked after by Temiar aborigine servants.

Things settled down after this. My car was stoned during one of Singapore's riots, I witnessed the upheavals in Hong Kong during China's Cultural Revolution, and was out on the streets to defend Hong Kong Chinese people's rights to British citizenship.... and also to protest Tiananmen Square.

When my contract with the British Council concluded, and my Chinese partner was dying of cancer, we chose Chiangmai to retreat to.... before the ultimate Chinese takeaway of Hong Kong in 1997. He loved Chiangmai, and so did I. He died in 1996.

Life goes on, and I met my current partner in Chiangmai in about 2000. He wanted to come home to Buriram, and I joined him in 2007.

I have lived in interesting times, and this is where I've finished up; at 77, I'm unlikely to move again. Nowhere is perfect, and certainly Thailand, and the villages where many of us live, are far from perfect, but I have made my life here, and shall I not look for the best of what I have? If it's a fool's paradise, it's better than a wise man's hell.

I've heard , "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
Refreshingly and brutally honest, IB...and yes , nowhere, nothing or nobody is perfect.

If I had a dollar for every moan and groan I hear coming from assorted individuals hailing from my neck 'o the woods I'd be wealthier indeed. (I'd also be contributing to that account too.)

Welcome aboard. Hopefully it will never become 'a highway to hell'.

Alas, Coffee, whenever I think I've created a phrase to remember, somebody is bound to remember it from elsewhere. Foiled again! (like Bluebottle)

Not Cogito ergo sum, but I enjoy, therefore I am.

Alas, Coffee, whenever I think I've created a phrase to remember, somebody is bound to remember it from elsewhere. Foiled again! (like Bluebottle)

Not Cogito ergo sum, but I enjoy, therefore I am.

Bluebottle, IB, may be a somewhat esoteric reference for some of our non-Brit members.
One of the best conversations of all time was between Bluebottle and Eccles.
Bluebottle: What are you doing here, Eccles?
Eccles (after pause for thought): Everybody's got to be somewhere, Bluebottle.

Bluebottle, IB, may be a somewhat esoteric reference for some of our non-Brit members.
One of the best conversations of all time was between Bluebottle and Eccles.
Bluebottle: What are you doing here, Eccles?
Eccles (after pause for thought): Everybody's got to be somewhere, Bluebottle.

I admit I'd forgotten a lot of the wonderful Goon Show. Was it Bluebottle or Eccles who died, and they put up a stone to mark his grave, and on it was the inscription,
"57 miles to Poona"?

Surin sure is not poor by my eyes. Was in HomePro yesterday and heading back to it in about 10 minutes. Forking hell dropping a bundle in there.Hair_Out1

I admit I'd forgotten a lot of the wonderful Goon Show. Was it Bluebottle or Eccles who died, and they put up a stone to mark his grave, and on it was the inscription,
"57 miles to Poona"?

That might have been Colonel Bloodknock, IB. Not sure.

Yes, it was, John. I'd forgotten.

(I shall be going back to Much Binding in the Marsh soon.... definitely second childhood setting in!)

Actually, wasn't his name Major Bloodknock? I am no longer sure.

Much Binding in the Marsh means nothing at all to me. It just goes to show what a handful of years age difference can mean in terms of our childhood memories.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "fookin' dirt poor" country road is now paved ! :flushed:
View attachment 23483 View attachment 23484

Local authority spec for village c0oncrete roads is 6" thick. In my village most concrete roads were laid with 4" thickness, and broke up in short time. When they made the road outside my house 7/8 years ago, the local Orbador was overseeing things. He is a friend. I was out there with my tape and clearly showed him and the workers how large 6" was. My road has not cracked up.:)

Wish they would come and do the road outside my house.

View attachment 23487

The road that's crapped out is within your village estates and should be assessed accordingly for repair.

The road in my picture goes to fook all nowhere that has a proper residential structure. Strange...maybe an estate is in the works.

Surely the cows didn't require the road surface.
(I'll check with chickens and dogs.)

Our section of road was well and truly f@#ked when the did they built the new intersection on the ring road near Robinson's. We had very heavy 10 and 20 wheelers carrying even heavier loads using the stretch as a short cut to avoid the traffic jams. The area of ground 100 meters to the north of us was piled high with building materials and old concrete removed from the road works. Very heavy traffic for nearly 6 months. Not that there was ever 6 inches of reinforced concrete to begin with, more like an inch. Once the rains came that was it. No point doing anything before the dry season comes along.

In my part of paradise concrete roads were put in some 4 years or so back. I would be hard pressed if I said they were 3 inches thick.:eek: You can guess what they look like now. ;)The money was put into to some scam, ****, sucking politicians pockets and you can also guess what color shirt this asshole was wearing and who was in office. :rolleyes: I would still give her the bone.:D

Last edited:
Back