Land Fill Contractor Required for December 2010

BJ The Bear

Hello, Further to my previous post can anyone recommend a contractor person or persons who could arrange to prepare a block of land for us in December 2010.

I realize that this type of work can not be done until the wet weather has gone and i know that December will be warmer and a lot drier than now.

We would like to get our block of land Cleared First by removing light scrub, small trees and wild grass, then topped up, levelled and compacted so that the entire block is dead flat and level with the main road that it joins onto.

The block is 1520 square metres in size and a rectangular shape
The block is located in a village called Ban Tako in the Ban Prang District approximately 50 minutes drive North Of Khorat or Nakhon Ratchasima.

Can anybody help with a recommendation for someone to do this job
if so please reply,

I will also advertise in local and other thailand newspapers.

I need quotes on approximate prices and availability for doing this job in December this year and would appreciate any help i can get thanks in advance...................BJ.

I would suggest you have it raised higher than the road, thats the norm and what height approx would you need? Then we can work out how many truck loads are needed?

As Dave Say's you need to be a bit higher than the road so the water can run away.All depending where your land is ,the soil can range from 150-70 a load out in the villages from the local guys to 200-400 in the towns ( and the size of the trucks ).What most people would do is wait till they come out,or ask a family member ( your sister in law is OK ,so you say )to keep a look out for lorries that are out and about locally.
Thia's have this thing about oneupmanship and whenever they build a house the soil must be higher than everybody else's,which just f*cks it up for their neighbors ( Thai Logic ,again ) .Build a wall ( keeps the dog and locals out ) with drainage gullies to the road and your be OK.Don't advertise or let everybody know you want soil ( Din ) or the price will go up ...... :)

Hi Dave and Alan, I have just been informed by the wife that it will need to be 2.5 metres above the road if that helps and also the nearest neighbors are about 1 k/m away each side on our side of the main road

Why do you have to be 2.5 meters above the road....:?.. Are building in an area that floods ....:)

Good point! I think my wife could be wrong, we are not building a castle, i would suggest only a metre if that? the block is part of an old rice farm and when you walk onto the block from the road it is practically level as it is, if that info might help

Good point! I think my wife could be wrong, we are not building a castle, i would suggest only a metre if that? the block is part of an old rice farm and when you walk onto the block from the road it is practically level as it is, if that info might help

I would say 0.25 of a meter , if that, the wife must want to be nearer to Buddha and the heavens....:)
One meter does sound high,thats some slope on the drive to get your car in.elephant-027

I remember when we filled our land, the local 'mayor' visited my wife to check that we would only be raising our block to the same height as the neighbouring blocks. Must be a feeling that wives of farangs might think their land should be higher. Our dirt came at a 'special price' of 120 baht/truck, four years ago, but 150-170 sounds pretty good now.

I remember when we filled our land, the local 'mayor' visited my wife to check that we would only be raising our block to the same height as the neighbouring blocks. Must be a feeling that wives of farangs might think their land should be higher. Our dirt came at a 'special price' of 120 baht/truck, four years ago, but 150-170 sounds pretty good now.

We had our local village pond dug out a while back and they had so much soil they were nearly giving it away.They even filled all the local roadside dyke's/ditches,now where does all the rain water go .:G
The wife cousin who lives a few plots away in the village has a new Jap BF and has had loads of soil put on her land and has pissed off all the neighbors/family.She also just had a Well put in with an automatic pump,when the Well guy asked her was type of pump she wanted she said " Any one will do as long as it cost's more than the Farangs pump "...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
How much does the average truck hold? I really think that 0.25 of a metre is probably right, so if i had an idea what a truck holds x 5120 square metres to cover that will give me an idea of how many trucks needed?...................hopefully................anyone got a calculator handu?

In Kap Choeng the fill is going for 200 to 250 baht a load that was before the rains. As of the January 1 the amphur is requiring that all fill be approved before usage. So be prepared for a price increase.

You said you had 1520sq/m divided by 4 as you are only going 0.25 meter deep=380 divided by 4 ( 4 sq/m in a truck )=95 X say 200B=19,000 Baht...:)

They say you should always fill the soil up 30% higher than you want , the rain will settle it back to the required height! or get one of theseelephant-027 to walk around on it that might speed things up a tad ...

They say you should always fill the soil up 30% higher than you want , the rain will settle it back to the required height! or get one of theseelephant-027 to walk around on it that might speed things up a tad ...

Alan, I think I read somewhere that you should allow a minimum of 6 months for 'natural' settlement. What are your views and can you actually mechanically compress the soil (ie not use a chang!)

Alan, I think I read somewhere that you should allow a minimum of 6 months for 'natural' settlement. What are your views and can you actually mechanically compress the soil (ie not use a chang!)

My view FWIW is if you are only putting 0.25-0.4 of a meter of soil on the land the footings will go down into the original solid compacted soil so you can build in a shorter period of time.Where some land does need 1.5 -2 meters of soil,yes leave for 6 months to one year to compact or longer ..:)

My view FWIW is if you are only putting 0.25-0.4 of a meter of soil on the land the footings will go down into the original solid compacted soil so you can build in a shorter period of time.Where some land does need 1.5 -2 meters of soil,yes leave for 6 months to one year to compact or longer ..:)

boloa, you can have 1 point for answering half the question. Did you want to try for a bonus with the 2nd part ? bike-037bike-037

Back