Land Fill Contractor Required for December 2010

boloa, you can have 1 point for answering half the question. Did you want to try for a bonus with the 2nd part ? bike-037bike-037

I'm not a builder but Elephants could work :) .On reclaimed, water logged or deep lightly compacted land/soil, driving pylons into the ground is an option but expensive. .:)

Alan, I think I read somewhere that you should allow a minimum of 6 months for 'natural' settlement. What are your views and can you actually mechanically compress the soil (ie not use a chang!)

We never build on this build up ground, the footings must sit down in the virgin soil .However the footpath may have to be poured on this made up soil , even with a compactor I think at least 1 full rainy season would be needed to settle the land down, by this I mean 1 meter or less if you were to build up more than this I would leave it for 2 seasons . If the client wants sand wash affect(Thai name-Sia-lan) putting on the footpath I always suggest to delay doing this for 1 year at least to avoid cracking.

We never build on this build up ground, the footings must sit down in the virgin soil .However the footpath may have to be poured on this made up soil , even with a compactor I think at least 1 full rainy season would be needed to settle the land down, by this I mean 1 meter or less if you were to build up more than this I would leave it for 2 seasons . If the client wants sand wash affect(Thai name-Sia-lan) putting on the footpath I always suggest to delay doing this for 1 year at least to avoid cracking.

Forgive my ignorance - would this also be true for a bungalow ?

Agree, my footpaths/sidwalks were pour on this fill dirt, and I left it set for 1 raining season, and they all cracked, and when had to replace some, they were hollow under them.....I built up about a little over a meter, over fill that was 2 seasons at 1 meter deep

Sorry:%

I had the footings in mind
Most homes that I see being built correctly have the footing on original soil. and think about it, makes sense, soil does not compact evenly. labor is cheap, have them dig that hole....... I did it with my shop and Garage as well.

Thanks for all of the information and helpfull hints people
I am now a full bottle on how its done, I discussed all of the options again with Alan The Builder and will arrange the local guy to do the job with me watching when we come back in december,

maybe if i tan my skin, disguise myself to look like a Thai and invest in a Bobcat and oversize Tuk Tuk Truck with a large tray drive around with big smile. I would be a millionaire in no time :001_Thank_You5::001_Sawasdee::eek:elephant-027:=

Alan is right, though can I offer another bit of advice related to concrete floors,footpaths etc.
The Thais always lay concrete directly on the ground, usualy at a thickness not more than 50mm. As a result rain eventualy undermines it washing out the subsoil and eventualy the concrete cracks and gives way bcause there is nothing underneath to support it.This can easily remedied by digging a small trench around the parameter of the proposed concrete area, about 150mm width by 200mm depth (dependent on curcumstances). As a result the water has to undermine the concrete at an 200mm depth instead of ground level. It is difficult to explain in writing but I would be more than happy to send you a working diagram.

Good advice Syduan and welcome to SurinFarang.

Maybe you would post a bit about yourself on the introductions section, so we can get to know you

:001_Thank_You5:

Thanks for your help and advice Syduan, any info, drawings etc would be most appreciated,
I suppose i will probably need to think about retaining walls around the block too if it is going to be land filled? i,m looking at options like laying concrete footings then a course of those grey colour concrete blocks around the parameter of the block to retain the land fill. looking at photos of the block, i have estimated that i will only need about half a metre of fill if that to bring the block level, so in total 2/3 of a metre to allow for it to settle maybe right i think? :Cross_Fingers:

Back