Legalised UK wedding certificate

Dylan.t

I finally received my legalised wedding certificate from UK GOV office in Milton Keynes today. I've also had it stamped and verified by the Thai embassy in London. I wanted the legalised certificate to register our marriage here at the amphur.
The next step in the process is to have the certificate translated and then stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok. I was hoping to find an office in Surin that will do the translation and courier the documents to the MFA and back to me. Is there anywhere in Surin that can do this, or do I have to travel to Bangkok to get the translation made and documents stamped?

@Prakhonchai Nick may be able to help.

Thai Widows & Expats can arrange the translation for you, with a certified stamp, but unfortunately are not able to arrange the MOFA stamp. You could perhaps ring them (or preferably your wife rings) to see whether the document can be posted to them with their fee. I know that they return stamped documents by EMS post.

Thaiwidowsandexpats&gmail.com

Thanks for all the help and advice I've received from members.
It looks like I'll have to make a trip to the MFA office in Bangkok and use a translator on their approved list.
I had a quote from a translation service based near the UK embassy for 3400B, which includes the translation, a courier to take the documents to the MFA office in Lak Si and postage to Surin. It's expensive, considering the MFA only charge 400B for their express service and I guess the translation of a one-page document should also be a few hundred. I've also seen posts on other forums that there are several translation services on offer in and near the MFA office block.
I'll get the night train on Sunday and have a week's holiday in Pattaya after I conclude the business.

It looks like I'll have to make a trip to the MFA office in Bangkok and use a translator on their approved list.
I had a quote from a translation service based near the UK embassy for 3400B, which includes the translation, a courier to take the documents to the MFA office in Lak Si and postage to Surin. It's expensive, considering the MFA only charge 400B for their express service and I guess the translation of a one-page document should also be a few hundred. I've also seen posts on other forums that there are several translation services on offer in and near the MFA office block.
I'll get the night train on Sunday and have a week's holiday in Pattaya after I conclude the business.

I am sure paying the translation service 3,400baht would be far cheaper than doing it yourself and following up with a week's holiday in Pattaya! :);)

You did the correct thing and just saved yourself a headache. :DMFA can be and is picky.:eek: Just saying.:D After your cert is confirmed by the MFA NEXT thing is to make copies of ALL documents. You can register at any amphur in Thailand BUT I recomend that you do this at your wifes amphur where your living. By doing it there very good chance you well walkout with a new Yellow Tabien baan and the Pink ID card.

hen you
You did the correct thing and just saved yourself a headache. :DMFA can be and is picky.:eek: Just saying.:D After your cert is confirmed by the MFA NEXT thing is to make copies of ALL documents. You can register at any amphur in Thailand BUT I recomend that you do this at your wifes amphur where your living. By doing it there very good chance you well walkout with a new Yellow Tabien baan and the Pink ID card.
2 for sho

Also.. When you register at your amphur you will NOT be given the pretty flower Thai marriage cert. You will be given whats is called a Kor Ror 22 or KR 22 for short. A KR 2 is for a Thai marriage. If at some time you decide to go over to a marriage extension you will need to go to ANY amphur and get a new copy from them stamped and signed each and every year. This is confirmation that you are still married for immigration. Cost is 20 baht.

I know its a few years back (2004) but when I did my marriage bits and pieces there were many translators set up outside the MFA in the side street. In fact, I was standing in the queue to get my documents from the MFA when a young broker approached me and asked if I was getting married. I said I was preparing to get married and just getting my docs together. She asked if I wanted to get married then and there? I asked my girlfriend if she would like to get married here and now and she said yes. And the rest is history as they say. The broker took care of everything. The total cost for all the paperwork, translations as necessary, limo to the town hall and return, registration of the marriage, return to MFA, more translations, resubmission of the marriage papers to MFA, etc., was 3,000 baht. A one shop service and all completed in one long day. Started at 09.30 and finished by 16.30 - well worth the effort. You may wish to consider something similar. Saves a lot of messing around.

Saves a lot of messing around.

Spoil sport! Took me 1 and half weeks multiple trips to MFA in Chang Whattina then back to the embassy then to the translator. It is burned into my psyche forever and that was 2002!
But I do know something about those facilitators and they have been cracked down on in recent years. But if you can get on board go ahead.

I know its a few years back (2004) but when I did my marriage bits and pieces there were many translators set up outside the MFA in the side street. In fact, I was standing in the queue to get my documents from the MFA when a young broker approached me and asked if I was getting married. I said I was preparing to get married and just getting my docs together. She asked if I wanted to get married then and there? I asked my girlfriend if she would like to get married here and now and she said yes. And the rest is history as they say. The broker took care of everything. The total cost for all the paperwork, translations as necessary, limo to the town hall and return, registration of the marriage, return to MFA, more translations, resubmission of the marriage papers to MFA, etc., was 3,000 baht. A one shop service and all completed in one long day. Started at 09.30 and finished by 16.30 - well worth the effort. You may wish to consider something similar. Saves a lot of messing around.

My first Thai marriage -in 1983 -was somewhat similar. Not sure the mofa were involved, but the Brirtish Embassy were. From memory cost around 1,500Baht inclusive.

We attended a translator with our documents on a Wednesday and they offered to do the lot and have everything back by the Friday for c. Bht 3,000.00. We decided to do it ourselves and hit Laksi early morning on Thirstday 08:30 and had it all sorted by 11:30. The only downside was the only place open for a coffee between times was McDonalds.

We attended a translator with our documents on a Wednesday and they offered to do the lot and have everything back by the Friday for c. Bht 3,000.00. We decided to do it ourselves and hit Laksi early morning on Thirstday 08:30 and had it all sorted by 11:30. The only downside was the only place open for a coffee between times was McDonalds.

In fairness the coffee in McDonalds is probably the only product worth going in there for.

Ditto for me back in 2002. Very easy I think it was around 3000 baht, much easier than going it alone.

I did mine in Chiang Mai in 2006. Star Visa just down from the US Consult. Translation and sent MFA n BK 3500 baht.

I went to the MFA office early on Monday morning, after catching the night train from Surin. The train stops at Lak Si station,which is only about a 1km walk from the MFA office. There were many people in the foyer area touting for translation work. I chose one at random who looked at my document and quoted a price of 1000B for the two sides. We arranged to meet in the food-hall of the MFA 2 hours later. However he rang me 5 minutes later saying that he would submit the documents for me, pick them up 2 days later and post them to me for an extra 700B. Excellent - this saved me stopping over in Bangkok. I was in Mo Chit station and on a bus to Pattaya before 12 noon.
The signed, stamped translation of our wedding certificate arrived by EMS at our house this afternoon.

Last edited:
I went to the MFA office early on Monday morning, after catching the night train from Surin. The train stops at Lak Si station,which is only about a 1km walk from the MFA office. There were many people in the foyer area touting for translation work. I chose one at random who looked at my document and quoted a price of 1000B for the two sides. We arranged to meet in the food-hall of the MFA 2 hours later. However he rang me 5 minutes later saying that he would submit the documents for me, pick them up 2 days later and post them to me for an extra 700B. Excellent - this saved me stopping over in Bangkok. I was in Mo Chit station and on a bus to Pattaya before 12 noon.
The signed, stamped translation of our wedding certificate arrived by EMS at our house this afternoon.

There's many that would have welcomed the opportunity to stay over in Bangkok for another night or 2. :)

Back