Live motorbike racing at IQ.

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
Motorcycle street racers in Surin province defy the NCPO

520_Surin-wpcf_728x409.jpg

THAILAND -- In a show of defiance against the National Council for Peace and Order and the police, about 200 motorcycles – many of them were illegally souped up to increase the horsepower of the engines – took part in illegal road racing in Muang district of Surin province early Thursday morning.

Chosen as the race track for the illegal race was the road from IQ intersection to Thepthani intersection in Tambon Nok Muang.

An employee of a convenience store near the “race track” said that the illegal racers and their spectators often gathered en masse on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights. He added that the local police had never been serious in the crackdown of this illegal practice.

Residents living near the scene of the racing said that the illegal racing was very disturbing and they would like authorities concerned to stop the practice which, they noted, poses a threat to motorists.

Source: http://englishnews.t...ince-defy-ncpo/

-- Thai PBS 2016-07-07

200 bikes seems like a very large amount to gather in one place at the same time but like all official statistics, I guess it's probably wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can believe 200 + bikes, I have seen those kind of numbers a couple of times coming back from Korat in the past year. Fortunately, they were on the other side of the road heading towards Korat. When asked who they were and what they were doing, SWMBO advised they were heading somewhere to do some illegal road racing. SWMBO has confirmed that she has heard the bikes in the early hours of the morning, usually at weekends. Me, I have heard nothing but then again that is par for the course - I am quite deaf when I want to be.

Since they've blacktopped the road outside my house they appear to be now using that for practice runs.

I'm sure the fire engines that water the plants could stop this disturbance easily as long as a government official could get them working 'out of police hours'

The video hardly shows 200 bikers racing up and down the ring road. More like a couple of dozen bikers harmlessly scooting around.

Sisaket had a similar problem near to the technical college about a year ago. It was reported on TV & ThaiVisa. I'm not sure how it was eradicated but it did, very quickly.

Back