Looking for native English speaker for small tutoring school in Surin

Kempstep

Greetings,

We have just opened a small school in Surin and our mission is to bring a fun, effective education experience to Thai children from kindergarten through high school and young adult.

We are looking for one English native speaker to start, so you would be the first and have the unique opportunity to affect the direction and success of our school. You would not be just one tiny "cog" in a large institution, but be listened to and appreciated by staff and students alike!

For those from outside, Surin is a friendly place, accommodations are included and you can decide on an initial term for employment with us.

Please reply if you are interested, or know someone else who is enthusiastic and ideal for this position.

We would be happy to share the contract details and/or arrange a Web meeting over Skype or GoToMeeting, to discuss further.

Thank you!

Kempton Stephens
MyTutor
kemptonf@gmail.com

Greetings,

We have just opened a small school in Surin and our mission is to bring a fun, effective education experience to Thai children from kindergarten through high school and young adult.

We are looking for one English native speaker to start, so you would be the first and have the unique opportunity to affect the direction and success of our school. You would not be just one tiny "cog" in a large institution, but be listened to and appreciated by staff and students alike!

For those from outside, Surin is a friendly place, accommodations are included and you can decide on an initial term for employment with us.

Please reply if you are interested, or know someone else who is enthusiastic and ideal for this position.

We would be happy to share the contract details and/or arrange a Web meeting over Skype or GoToMeeting, to discuss further.

Thank you!

Kempton Stephens
MyTutor
kemptonf@gmail.com
Sounds interesting what is the name so the school where is it ?

Greetings,

Thank you!

Kempton Stephens
MyTutor
kemptonf@gmail.com

Can I just say that through my vast experience, I have been teaching in Thailand for nearly 16 years, it would be better to share some of the contract details; such as salary, length of contract, visa and work permit details and contract hours at this point in time.

By doing this you are more likely to elicit some interest.

I would have thought that salary, contract details, etc would be cofidential to those applying for the position.
Good luck to the school and applicants

I would have thought that salary, contract details, etc would be cofidential to those applying for the position.
Good luck to the school and applicants

I guess there are two ways of advertising a position. Can tell all as Stevo suggests or can keep contract details among potential applicants as Deerculler suggests. (I prefer the latter).

I would like to read more details on the location, management and nature of the school.

Does My Tutor have a web-site that can be viewed for further information ?

Can I just say that through my vast experience, I have been teaching in Thailand for nearly 16 years, it would be better to share some of the contract details; such as salary, length of contract, visa and work permit details and contract hours at this point in time.

By doing this you are more likely to elicit some interest.

Stevo, strange tasting dish (IMHO).
Concur with you re: sharing some important details on this position currently open.

What are you looking for Kempton?

Can you give some more details e.g. length of contract, number of contact hours per week, age of students?
Also, what kind of person are you looking for - qualified or not, qualified to what level, experienced or not, experienced in what type of teaching and for how many years?
Thanks!

Can you give some more details e.g. length of contract, number of contact hours per week, age of students?
Also, what kind of person are you looking for - qualified or not, qualified to what level, experienced or not, experienced in what type of teaching and for how many years?
Thanks!

Thank you for also asking further details.

For those who are unfamiliar with the teaching situation in Thailand then please let me explain.

I general, the ratio of vacancies to applicants is stacked in favour of the applicants. That is to say that there are far more jobs out there then there are job seekers. It is therefore up to the school, agency or recruiter to entice potential candidates to apply for any position that may be available.

So simply putting an ad on a website and say "contact us for further details" shows lack of understanding of the market situation. This then leads to any one who may read the ad to simply dismiss it. Vagueness at the start leads to suspicion that it may continue.

There are a myriad of circumstances that one must consider when considering teaching here in Thailand.

There are many procedures that one has to go through to get all of the necessary paper work. If there is to be a rolling contract and that contract is only 10 or 11 months, some schools don't like to pay a salary in the school holidays, then the teachers has to leave Thailand on the last day of the contract. At the start of the new contract the teacher then has to go through the whole visa process once more and that includes another trip to Laos. If the contract is 12 months then there is no need to go through this time and money wasting charade.

Is there really anyone who would apply for a job without one iota of an idea as to the remuneration package?

A simple, brief description of certain elements of employment details should be given. If you look at the 3 major websites for teachers in Thailand: Ajarn, Ajarnjobspace and Teaching in Thailand, you will be very hard pushed to find any ads that do not carry these details.

I, myself, would maybe interested in applying for this position. With my experience and current list of qualifications I would also be a worthy candidate. Alas I won't be proceeding at this point due to lack of details.

I tend to agree with Steveo and HKNZ1 on this one. I would like to see a little 'meat' on the job advertisement, any job advertisement. When I was job hunting I used to hate those vague adverts and with a 'salary on application' tag. Happily, those days are long behind me.

For anyone remotely interested, surely a simple e mail to kemptonf@gmail.com
saying "please tell me more" would elicit the required info. :rolleyes:

Like I said Nick, in my vast experience there won't be anyone remotely interested. There are many great jobs out there that are advertised openly.

There are 2 others in Surin that I can think of.

This thread was started two days ago. There have already been two "enquiries" and as yet no response. Not a good sign.

Last edited:
Like I said Nick, in my vast experience there won't be anyone remotely interested. There are many great jobs out there that are advertised openly.

There are 2 others in Surin that I can think of.

This thread was started two days ago. There have already been two "enquiries" and as yet no response. Not a good sign.

Silence from Kempton is deafening.

I hope its not one of those volunteer schemes where you get paid nothing for your troubles... (Someone else does i bet)

It is most likely a start up Language School. They want a "farang" to stand there as the token "white man". This is intended to get the Thai people interested.

When no students turn up to register the school is promptly closed and the teacher is left out in the cold.

There is also the likely hood of having to work illegally, to start with at least.

You get to know from the advert after a while.

Language centres are never going to work all the time the students are offered high grades to "study" at their school teachers homes after school.

By the way....When I mentioned previously about showing details of contract and salary I did not mean individuals. I meant a ball park figure, as is usually shown on all ads. I think maybe a couple of people got the wrong end of the stick.

If I wanted to employ someone, I would be checking for replies every few minutes.

If it takes this long for Kempton to return, how long I wonder will it take to get paid?

Had I been interested, I no longer would be! ShitHappens1

No Alan, have not dropped him an email because I am not looking for a job. However, I do agree with Nick and Steveo, if I wanted someone to fill a position in Surin I think I would have looked for and responded to some or all of the many inputs/replies on this thread. I hate to say it, but the lack of any follow-up information from the OP makes this seem like a dubious job opportunity.

I'm led to believe that there have been several responses to the job advertisement, made by email though and not through this forum. So far as there having been no further postings here by the OP, perhaps the well-meaning comments made about the advertisment, and some presumptions voiced, have put him off. Just saying.

Back