Looking for staff

T

tedbaker

We are currently and nearly always looking for staff, if anyone is Thai or knows a Thai that wants a job, please can they contact us either by replying to this post, dropping me a PM or by calling +66 (0) 837444236

We are currently and nearly always looking for staff, if anyone is Thai or knows a Thai that wants a job, please can they contact us either by replying to this post, dropping me a PM or by calling +66 (0) 837444236

I used to place a sandwich white-board advertising for staff when needed at times right in the street out front. Almost always worked within a week or so. You have to place the help wanted sandwich board so it faces both ways for motocyke riders and drivers to see, make the print large and bold and colorful. Easily read as they go by the signs. :) Always worked. Make sure the phone number is legible, and have it out early and leave it out until late. Just giving my experience. Don't leave it just to the wife to find staff (they always say they'll find someone, but it seems they take forever at times to find someone - meanwhile you're busting extra hump and getting pissed off). :-0

Good luck. Getting good staff can be a chore.

Mike

Finding good Thai staff is as rare as rocking horse shit.

We almost resorted to employing 2 girls from Siem Reap because the missus just couldn't find anyone capable/reliable.

I used to place a sandwich white-board advertising for staff when needed at times right in the street out front. Almost always worked within a week or so. You have to place the help wanted sandwich board so it faces both ways for motocyke riders and drivers to see, make the print large and bold and colorful. Easily read as they go by the signs. :) Always worked. Make sure the phone number is legible, and have it out early and leave it out until late. Just giving my experience. Don't leave it just to the wife to find staff (they always say they'll find someone, but it seems they take forever at times to find someone - meanwhile you're busting extra hump and getting pissed off). :-0

Good luck. Getting good staff can be a chore.

Mike

Good idea. You might be spotted by a budding English language expert from one of the Uni's? (or a gold-digger) Hug1

Finding good Thai staff is as rare as rocking horse shit.

We almost resorted to employing 2 girls from Siem Reap because the missus just couldn't find anyone capable/reliable.

Couldn't agree more CoCo.

We have been in need of staff for ages. Not even people in the village can be bothered, and they would only have to walk about 100 yards to work every morning.

As it has turned out I am now going to give up my day job and become a member of staff myself.

Good idea. You might be spotted by a budding English language expert from one of the Uni's? (or a gold-digger) Hug1

Ah, no, have the present staff or wife do the signage in Thai. :) But tell your farang customers you need staff as well. Someone might have a family member looking for a job. But that can cause difficulties if you then later have to fire that employee related to the customer. :)

Pretty damn obvious really but..........

Don't get anyone (staff) with a drinking problem!

bean1

Last edited:

We have been in need of staff for ages. Not even people in the village can be bothered, and they would only have to walk about 100 yards to work every morning.

As it has turned out I am now going to give up my day job and become a member of staff myself.

Well done stevo - don't forget to tell the missus that the minimum wage is now 300 Baht a day :smile:.

I despair (even worse Jip despaired) about Thai staff. No motive, incentive or desire to work. Coffee Corner would have been an ideal place for students to come and work part-time and practice their English in a real, but safe, environment.

Not a cat in Hell's chance.

Even Kelly (who was probably our best employee) let me down. She went to work in Pattaya but after some pleading she said she would come in for a week when we were in the shite staff-wise. I made the mistake of giving her a 1,000 Baht bonus when she arrived. Big mistake, no show on day 2 - mama mai sabai !!

I agree its impossible to find hard working reliable trustworthy staff.

Are you actually giving up the teaching job Stevo?

I agree its impossible to find hard working reliable trustworthy staff.

Are you actually giving up the teaching job Stevo?

It's not impossible. I had some really good staff over the years. But it takes a while to find the right ones, and the problem is so many have personal problems, crazy and even violent boyfriends/husbands, constant family issues, want to have all the holidays off (of which there are many), constant seeming weddings, funerals, and family sick 'in hospital', etc. and wanting the time off, don't call if they will not be able to come in to work, are afraid sometimes to ask for time off and give you enough time to find replacement part time help to cover their absence, and a million other issues it seems. We paid over the going rate once they proved themselves reliable, and were very tolerant with giving time off when needed, as long as they asked and gave us some notice so we could get a relative or friend in to help while they were off. Many a time I ended up as the waiter and dishwasher etc to cover these absences. Our staff kept ALL their tips, and occasionally I'd throw in a bonus for good work. I'd many times start their day off by putting some baht in their tip jar for good luck. Our staff ate for free every meal, and ate what we were eating... good foods. As long as the work was done and there were no customers we let them use their phones, internet and watch the TV.

One weird thing is the older sister/younger sister/brother thing. Pi/nong. The older ones thought the younger ones had to do the scut work. And the guys thought the girls had to do certain things they thought was 'womens work'. Cultural problems we do not find in the west. Hard to get through their heads at times that this wasn't the way we wanted to do this work division stuff.

We had Dr. Love and his wife Deer for more than a year. Good staff and hard workers. Problem is they had a falling out and both ended up leaving. We had others that worked out well and stayed for a long period. But we had to try out 'on probation' quite a few to find the ones that actually wanted to work and make money each time we needed new staff.

The thing is it is so easy for them to find work elsewhere at the drop of a hat. EVERYONE is always looking for wait staff. So easy to find a job when leaving your present job for whatever reasons here.

I've got some stories to tell about this stuff I'll tell you!

Mike

Last edited:
An interesting post, Mike, clearly based on experience. Right there you have given a scholarly treatise on the Isaan work ethic. I have a few in my extended family with the same ethic and it drives me to distraction sometimes that my good lady wife finds it impossible not to support them.

An interesting post, Mike, clearly based on experience. Right there you have given a scholarly treatise on the Isaan work ethic. I have a few in my extended family with the same ethic and it drives me to distraction sometimes that my good lady wife finds it impossible not to support them.

And that's the problem with a lot of them. Even if they don't work the ones who do, or the ones who have some money (and married to a farang much of the time it is YOUR money), they still get fed, have a roof over their head, and are clothed, get a few baht when they ask/want some, for whatever reason. Why work? Especially, it seems, the young teen boys.

And if they need a few baht for something they want, they go get a job for a month or two, and then quit, many times without telling the boss they won't be in any more once they have their pay.

It's a chore trying to find those who want to work, make money, save money for a motocyke, education, new clothing, a car, a house, and are good workers willing to learn their job, show up every day, and understand they can't just have off any day they want, as there is a business to run. Many Thai places close for the holidays, as the workers just will not show up to work anyways.

Hell, my staff got a day off every week, good tips, decent pay, good free foods to eat, and were treated like family almost, and we gave them the time off they needed, most times at least.

Ted,

What about the little girl who worked in the Farang Connection when Brian was running it? She appeared competent and conscientious and even had a little knowledge of English. Whether she's currently working or not I don't know. I shall suggest as a friend on Farcebook and you may contact her if you so wish.

Cheers

Y

Don't know the answer.....

I am very new to this but am finding. just like everyone else, that it is a major problem! They are all so bloody lazy - if you can find anyone, and if they turn up. Absolutely no interest other than the bare minimum and lying around on the floor. No idea of cleanliness is my biggest complaint and trying to get the missus to bollock them instead of 'the miserable farang b'stard!!

I am very new to this but am finding. just like everyone else, that it is a major problem! They are all so bloody lazy - if you can find anyone, and if they turn up. Absolutely no interest other than the bare minimum and lying around on the floor. No idea of cleanliness is my biggest complaint and trying to get the missus to bollock them instead of 'the miserable farang b'stard!!

Best advice Matt, keep out of it and let the missus manage it. A Falang cannot win and I don't care how good your wife is she is still Thai - and is closer to Thai thinking/culture/attitudes than she can ever be to your western thinking.

I tried to concentrate on what I considered to be the important things ie quality of food and customer service. But..... trying to get staff to read an order back to a customer was a challenge, eventually they learned that Falang food (and Thai) - except salad - should served hot, food orders should come out together and checking on a customer after a few minutes was a good thing for everybody - not a case of Daniel going into the lions den.

I am sure you will have great fun and will probably be able to write a book on it after a couple of years :eek:.

Good luck.

Ted,

What about the little girl who worked in the Farang Connection when Brian was running it? She appeared competent and conscientious and even had a little knowledge of English. Whether she's currently working or not I don't know. I shall suggest as a friend on Farcebook and you may contact her if you so wish.

Cheers

Y

Sounds like Niang? Works at Lecs, near small/old Majestic Hotel. Yes, excellent.

Back