Looking for staff

Is Niang her real name???

I only ask because "Niang" is the Khmer word for "Nong", meaning someone younger and also a colloquial term for a waitress.

In effect many waitresses in certain parts of Surin and Buriram would answer to the name of "Niang".

Just a thought.

Falang food (and Thai) - except salad - should served hot, food orders should come out together.....

As an aside and not really 'off topic', my Khmer wife and I were in Shanghai many years ago and we took our client's Project Manager and some of his staff out to eat in a Thai restaurant. He had already said previously that the service in the restaurant was slow, orders cold, and you were lucky not to get the desert first. I assured him that my wife would sort it out and, in the event, the staff were mainly Khmer and even came from a village in the wife's tambon so it should have been a piece o' piss.

Not a hope in hell. The appetiser arrived with most of the main course and the rice arrived cold after the desert.

Cheers

Y

Niang......

I only ask because "Niang" is the Khmer word for "Nong", meaning someone younger and also a colloquial term for a waitress.

In effect many waitresses in certain parts of Surin and Buriram would answer to the name of "Niang".

Just a thought.

Yes, understand your point but when my wife asked her name a couple of years back she said Niang, but, hey, they've all got several names, the M-I-L calls my Mrs Niang too!

Just a thought.

I also understand that, whereas "Nong" can be used address male or female (or 3rd gender), "Niang" is only used with younger females (under 45!).

do not read if easily offended (+ off topic)...addressed to CoCo

1) sorry1 Do not read if easily offended.
2) Offtopic2.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CoCo, a khun thai told me this but maybe it was in jest.
Apologies in advance.

As you have been through the mill a few times - is it true that the affectionate term for bitch is miya (pronounced mee-ya) = wife ? :confused:

Is this a term utilized effectively during 'matrimonial bliss' or carnal sin ? :rolleyes:

Or do you think that is just an a-mer-eye-khan thang ? :cool:

Your reply would be greatly appreciated.
If anyone else would like to chime in feel free to do so.

1) sorry1 Do not read if easily offended.
2) Offtopic2.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CoCo, a khun thai told me this but maybe it was in jest.
Apologies in advance.

As you have been through the mill a few times - is it true that the affectionate term for bitch is miya (pronounced mee-ya) = wife ? :confused:

Is this a term utilized effectively during 'matrimonial bliss' or carnal sin ? :rolleyes:

Or do you think that is just an a-mer-eye-khan thang ? :cool:

Your reply would be greatly appreciated.
If anyone else would like to chime in feel free to do so.

Dear coffee,

I am not the forum linguist but I would be inclined to keep references to "Darling".

Care needs to be exercised if using the mia word. As you say, a term used to describe a wife. Maybe more often used as "mia noi" to refer to a second or minor wife (not to be confused with a girlfriend, Gik or barfine!

Referring to the missus as "mia luang", original or first wife, may infer that there is a "noi" in the background.

My teerak tells me that I don't want a mia noi because they are high-maintenance, highly sexed and 'up their own arse'.

This statement caused me to reconsider my own position..............................

Dear coffee,

I am not the forum linguist but I would be inclined to keep references to "Darling".

Care needs to be exercised if using the mia word. As you say, a term used to describe a wife. Maybe more often used as "mia noi" to refer to a second or minor wife (not to be confused with a girlfriend, Gik or barfine!

Referring to the missus as "mia luang", original or first wife, may infer that there is a "noi" in the background.

My teerak tells me that I don't want a mia noi because they are high-maintenance, highly sexed and 'up their own arse'.

This statement caused me to reconsider my own position..............................

Really CoCo, I thought 'Darling' (pron dah-ring) meant ATM.

Example: When she says, "Darling, I love you so much." I reply, "How much ?" Think1

Really CoCo, I thought 'Darling' (pron dah-ring) meant ATM.

Example: When she says, "Darling, I love you so much." I reply, "How much ?" Think1

You are probably mishearing when she calls you "" Dah - ling""

... which is, of course, a monkey's arse.....

Back